Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

evo 9 hillclimb build log

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
bryant has been busy re-working the wiring ... its looks GOOD!
evo 9 hillclimb build log-3mekroz.jpg
evo 9 hillclimb build log-e6aeidf.jpg
Old Feb 15, 2018, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Awesome dude, I am just about to head down this path myself!

Zack
Old May 28, 2018, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Any good updates?

I'm about to try my hand at making some splitter endplates out of carbon fiber soon and had some questions.

Have you ever tried wet laying instead of vacuum infusion resin? I see the advantage to the vacuum infusion but the setup seems a lot more complicated, delicate and costly. What kind of vacuum pump do you guys use?

Also, do you have any good places you can recommend for buying CF, resin, materials etc?
Old May 28, 2018, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Any good updates?

I'm about to try my hand at making some splitter endplates out of carbon fiber soon and had some questions.

Have you ever tried wet laying instead of vacuum infusion resin? I see the advantage to the vacuum infusion but the setup seems a lot more complicated, delicate and costly. What kind of vacuum pump do you guys use?

Also, do you have any good places you can recommend for buying CF, resin, materials etc?
we went to our first event of the season last weekend down in Utah. took 1st in TTU and overall FTD in TT for the day.

We have done wet layup carbon in the past. our experience is that you don't get nearly the bonding quality or the resin savings that you do with vacuum bagging. we don't do resin infusion, we just do wet layup with vacuum bag after. resin infusion is sort of a mystery to us and seems like a lot of things can go wrong in the process. maybe someday we'll try it, but not for a while.

you can use any kind of refrigerant vacuum pump like this one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm...ump-98076.html

then we use visqueen for our bag material and butyl duct sealant tape to seal it up. the most important part of the process is making sure the bag gets down in all the nooks and crannies of your mold so your carbon doesn't bridge the gaps.

we buy all of our fabric and resin from uscomposites.com
Old May 28, 2018, 12:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by clifhanger87
we went to our first event of the season last weekend down in Utah. took 1st in TTU and overall FTD in TT for the day.

We have done wet layup carbon in the past. our experience is that you don't get nearly the bonding quality or the resin savings that you do with vacuum bagging. we don't do resin infusion, we just do wet layup with vacuum bag after. resin infusion is sort of a mystery to us and seems like a lot of things can go wrong in the process. maybe someday we'll try it, but not for a while.

you can use any kind of refrigerant vacuum pump like this one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm...ump-98076.html

then we use visqueen for our bag material and butyl duct sealant tape to seal it up. the most important part of the process is making sure the bag gets down in all the nooks and crannies of your mold so your carbon doesn't bridge the gaps.

we buy all of our fabric and resin from uscomposites.com
Hell yea, congrats!

Thanks for the info too I'll definitely look into it. I've been curious about laying CF for a while but never really started looking into it until recently. If these endplates turn out decent I'm probably going to try my hand at some canards and maybe try using my splitter to make a mold and make one out of CF. For the molds are you just using regular fiberglass or is it something special?

Edit: My head is spinning from reading all the different resins they sell. What resin would you recommend for carbon fiber?

Last edited by Ayoustin; May 28, 2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old May 28, 2018, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Hell yea, congrats!

Thanks for the info too I'll definitely look into it. I've been curious about laying CF for a while but never really started looking into it until recently. If these endplates turn out decent I'm probably going to try my hand at some canards and maybe try using my splitter to make a mold and make one out of CF. For the molds are you just using regular fiberglass or is it something special?

Edit: My head is spinning from reading all the different resins they sell. What resin would you recommend for carbon fiber?
we use fiberglass for our molds. i would recommend using a white (finish) gel-coat as your first layer over the positive plug, then polyester resin and fiberglass fabric for the mold. we have been using the black (tooling) gel-coat for our initial layer for our molds, but have had terrible issues with the out-gassing of the gel causing really bad ripples in our molds. that's why i recommend a finish gel for the initial layer. it's not as durable as a tooling gel, but probably cures at a lower temp and is less volatile. thus leading to a better surface quality.

but if you're just making end plates for now, i imagine you don't need anything special, so a sheet of glass would make for a perfect surface to mold from. i would recommend two layers of 3k or 6k 2x2 or plain weave for the outer layers, foam (https://www.fibreglast.com/product/V...gaAlC1EALw_wcB) in the middle, and another 2 layers of the same 3k or 6k for the inner layers.

use epoxy resin for the carbon. we use the 3:1 ratio, medium cure stuff. http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html
Old May 28, 2018, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._JRWyOMG5KsjMT

this tutorial is awesome for the mold making process and carbon part production.
The following users liked this post:
Ayoustin (May 28, 2018)
Old May 28, 2018, 08:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Awesome! I was watching some of their simpler videos for making sheets and cutting stuff etc.

I'm kinda excited to give this a shot, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Looking forward to more updates from you guys this year!
Old Dec 26, 2022, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Looooong over due update.

A few years back I bought a few acres and to build a house. This took most of my time and all of our money to build a house and shop for a couple years.

In 2021 we attempted to get the car back out for a TA event in Utah and lost power. Lost compression on one cylinder and pulled to head to find a burnt valve so we assumed that was the culprit. Put on the spare head and we were still down on power. Went to a local hillclimb 150hp down spooling at 6k and got KOH in one run - but the engine was done. We sat it aside a while to figure out what to do. While we were contemplating the hillclimb car I kept thinking of the heart breaks we had at the track When the car was running it’s a runner for FTD, when it’s not we’re making a long drive home empty handed. After a lot of back and forth I’ve came to the conclusion that a reliable track car needs to be NA so I started looking for a rwd NA. Miata, s2000, e46 etc. Picked up a c6 z06 track car. It’s a different experience and I enjoying driving Evo’s more but it’s refreshing to go to the track and just drive. We had a spare evo 9 in the field that we started to do a budget build that quickly spiraled out of control. Took that car to a couple hillclimb’s this summer and did reasonably well (one KOH and one class record) but we were 2-4 seconds off the pace of the blue car. A good buddy was looking for a built evo and we hatched a plan to sell the budget build and rebuild the hillclimb car.

Onto the hill climb car. This years to do list:

- Sending the motor out to get rebuilt to Arlington machine.
- new turbo. 99% set on g30-770
- possibly Artec mani. TBD
- Emtron ecu
- Bosch abs system
- AIM dash
- AIM steering wheel
- TRE x shift with MME paddle shifter kit
- TRE rear diff
- TRE tcase
- new splitter
- fresh brake pads
- overall fit and finish clean up
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Mo Power, Mo Problems.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Mo Power, Mo Problems.
indeed

we were 636 whp on a mustang dyno with the gtx3582. Planning on 550ish with the g30-770.

for as hard as we beat on the car for a few years I think we got the moneys worth out of the first motor build. At some point motor rebuilds become a wear item like brake pads, rotors, and tires - just a longer service interval.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Is Arlington machine on CB's level or just a guy you know or?
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Is Arlington machine on CB's level or just a guy you know or?

tom at TS comp did the first motor. Seemed alight but it’s super hard to get ahold of him.

English did the stroker in the budget build earlier this year. They were good and the motor works well but they refuse to reuse any parts in a rebuild that aren’t theirs.

Arlington has good feedback and is willing to reuse rods/crank if they’re still in good shape.

Do you have any feedback on them?
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
English Racing stroker engine in the "budget" build. Noice.

Whats your time line for this engine? Maybe I can help

Old Dec 29, 2022, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
English Racing stroker engine in the "budget" build. Noice.

Whats your time line for this engine? Maybe I can help
the "budget build" is an inside joke. The car was sitting in the field for spares. i wanted a reliable TT car so we threw a set of DA FA coils, Weds, and ran it. Car did great but it was blowing a little smoke (200k mile car) and it had a slight grind in 4th. it quickly escalated to:

English 2.2 race motor
CB head
S2 billet cams
full SSB uprights front and rear with LCA
Blouch BB turbo
gird disc front and rear
Chromoly sub frames front and rear
fully build TRE:
Trans
Tcase with wave trac
Rear end 12 disc
exedy twin
etc .....

As it it spiraled Phouvanh kept joking, "its just a budget build" lol

id like to get the motor back end of feb so we can get it in and tuned for events in April
The following users liked this post:
LetsGetThisDone (Dec 29, 2022)

Quick Reply: evo 9 hillclimb build log