Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Anyone want some Aero work by Andrew Brilliant?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mouseIX
Wow! Can't wait for updates and results. I know it's a long road ahead, but keep us posted. Does Jacob have a shop website?
He doesn't have a website that I know of, just takes on select projects I believe. You can contact him through IG.
https://www.instagram.com/jacob_rogers/

Shooting for a spring 2017 completion date :-)
Old Aug 8, 2016, 06:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Since you paid for the service and have the rights to create, does that mean you have the rights to recreate? Wondering if you can recoup some of your money working with others to share the info under perhaps an NDA. Would probably be selective in who you worked with though so secrets are just leaked.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Since you paid for the service and have the rights to create, does that mean you have the rights to recreate? Wondering if you can recoup some of your money working with others to share the info under perhaps an NDA. Would probably be selective in who you worked with though so secrets are just leaked.
Well that's the thing about what he does with the CAD and CFD. Anything of any benefit that I could tell anyone, they could just see on my car for themselves. But it is what he gets from the CFD that makes the huge numbers that someone just can't copy. Different bumper, control arms, ride height, wheel offset, tire size -- what works on my car would make much less DF on a different car. All the angles and locations and volumes need to be exactly right.

I'm not saying a similar looking design won't work at all on another car. It will still make some fraction of the possible DF as a custom tweaked design.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
im jealous of the time you got with Andrew - i can only imagine the wealth of knowledge he has.

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
But it is what he gets from the CFD that makes the huge numbers that someone just can't copy. Different bumper, control arms, ride height, wheel offset, tire size -- what works on my car would make much less DF on a different car. All the angles and locations and volumes need to be exactly right.

I'm not saying a similar looking design won't work at all on another car. It will still make some fraction of the possible DF as a custom tweaked design.
ive heard this stance before and while some of the things you mention make sense to me (bumper) in terms of large scale changes others dont (control arms). did he show you examples in the model of a control arm change?

Did you guys laser scan the bottom of the car?

Would you mind sharing some of your plans for the rear radiator setup? we're been researching that on ours as well.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 07:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Would love to figure out a rear radiator setup as well. Parking lot racing is rough for heat soak so would need a good way to get air in/out without popping trunk every run.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 08:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You would need the gnarliest of gnarly fans to make that work, and you would need a bigger radiator than what is up front. I also wouldn't want it past the rear axle.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Not past the rear axel yes, but the rest no so much. Professional Awesome has such a setup with a pretty standard cooler and 2 11-13" looking fans which are temp controlled. Also if you look at their pics they "induct" from the rear doors with particular angles and such. Awesome, yes, but only really necessary if you're going after that level of build$ and the advantages outweigh the cost/disadvantages.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
Not past the rear axel yes, but the rest no so much. Professional Awesome has such a setup with a pretty standard cooler and 2 11-13" looking fans which are temp controlled. Also if you look at their pics they "induct" from the rear doors with particular angles and such. Awesome, yes, but only really necessary if you're going after that level of build$ and the advantages outweigh the cost/disadvantages.
For a track car, that's great. Dallas J cruising the parking lot (autoX ) at a max and momentary speed of 65-70mph will need more fan.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 09:43 AM
EvoM Guru

A few autoXers have rear mounted radiators so I know its doable. One guy in a Subaru (Greg M.) has a fairly large radiator where the spare tire well is and just pops the trunk between runs (or so it appears). Another Evo guy in FP (Mike B.) has his relocated but I haven't seen his setup.

Seems like you'd really want some sort of ducting in and out to make it work properly. I'd also want it to work on track since I do run those periodically. Will be interesting to see what comes out of Evolutionary's build. Not from an aero standpoint, but from an airflow standpoint.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Another Evo guy in FP (Mike B.) has his relocated but I haven't seen his setup.
I'll be sure to check it out and report back, since I'm driving that car at nationals.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Many sneaky pictures to share (with just me ) pls.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
What would be the point in the rear mounted radiator? Makes sense in cars that could see contact but not sure I see the advantage otherwise.

I thought a lot about it in an effort to move weight to the back of the car but I ultimately came to the conclusion that the cons that seemed to make it less than ideal:
More weight overall with the added lines and coolant.
More difficult to get air (seems like from an aero perspective, you'd want to pull air off the top or sides of the car, not the bottom and then use that air to help fill the wake?)
More likely to fail (more components)
Much more complex to keep air out of the system (two high points in the system now)

Don't get me wrong, interested in seeing what you come up with and love the idea just for being different.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
^Yes, Yes, and agreed. The bottom line is there is an Aero advantage to be had with said combination. Those that have done it, however, haven't disclosed said difference or advantage other then shared theory. So I guess if you gain 50 lbs, but gain 500lbs in downforce or less CF drag, 1+1 does equal 3 .
Old Aug 9, 2016, 05:05 PM
EvoM Guru

The aluminum lines running to back of the car wouldn't weight much at all. Weight would not be a deciding factor in the rear rad. Moving weight to the rear of the car, and off the front would be.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Meathooker
im jealous of the time you got with Andrew - i can only imagine the wealth of knowledge he has.

ive heard this stance before and while some of the things you mention make sense to me (bumper) in terms of large scale changes others dont (control arms). did he show you examples in the model of a control arm change?

Did you guys laser scan the bottom of the car?

Would you mind sharing some of your plans for the rear radiator setup? we're been researching that on ours as well.
Didn't see anything specific to control arms, but he told me about a case where moving a sway bar allowed them to rework the front aero and made a bunch more downforce. Also, when another customer decided to run a wider track width they had to redo like 30% of the aero.

We did scan the bottom of the car.

Would love to figure out a rear radiator setup as well. Parking lot racing is rough for heat soak so would need a good way to get air in/out without popping trunk every run.
Mike Brausen has a rear radiator setup in his FP Evo and it seems to work just fine. I think he has it laid down flat and fan pulls air out the bottom under the car. For AX this will work just fine.

For T/A use, I am planning on exhausting it out the rear of the trunk lid. It will be open on the front side, and ducted on the rear of the radiator to the trunk lid, which will be cut and mesh installed. We think we will be able to get enough airflow with the cabin having some pressure, and behind the trunk having a low pressure zone. We'll see. If it doesn't get enough flow, we have a great idea worked out to get the air we need without hanging huge ducts out into the sides of the vehicle causing drag.

My purpose for the rear rad is solely to get as much weight off the front of the car as possible to help it turn. I'd gladly trade 60 pound in the back if I can lose 40 pounds in the front. . .

Quick Reply: Anyone want some Aero work by Andrew Brilliant?