Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
All I know is that I still love the way the Evo X front and Evo 9 rear brakes feel with the DTC70/DTC60 pad setup. The only thing I would change is the wear rate especially if doing racing weekends. I have some Raybestos ST43 pads to try in the front and rear. I'm also using the Mach V rotor rings currently and they work great and the replacement cost isn't too bad.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
you can check on ebay but it's not much.

i found a few companies online that basically make brake caliper brackets to allow for using stock calipers with larger rotors (or larger calipers on larger rotors) - ballade does this - (https://www.balladesports.com/produc...otor-kit-front)

given the similiarities between the 9 and X calipers, a brakcet may be all that's needed, would save the drilling headache thought it frankly wasnt bad
I would buy a bracket instead of drilling.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Drilling headache? It took all of 5 minutes to run a 9/16" drill bit through the knuckles...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Good to know, thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 09:50 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm going to be selling my EVO X calipers that have 3 track days on them and were new when I installed them. They will come with a set of ST43 pads that have 50 street miles on them.

They have the racing brake SS pistons and high temp seals that I installed just before I put them on the car. Will also include a set of OEM X rotors that have some life left. If anyone is interested PM me for pricing.
Old May 14, 2019, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
bumping this, was kind of thinking about the brakes and EBD - does anyone know what EBD is actually doing? This is a quote I picked up from somewhere:

EBD automatically regulates the front and rear braking force to match the vehicle load and driving conditions.
https://www.supercars.net/blog/2006-...ion-ix-fq-360/

Curious how that would be impacted by the brake swap.
Old May 14, 2019, 02:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
I didn't know about this, so is this to say the computer would automatically regulate the bias and Evo X brakes in the front would be therefore accounted for in the computer auto biasing?

I assume this means if it detects lockup in the front for example it'll automatically shift it rearward and constantly try and increase braking force to the tires with the most grip.

"Another enhancement to the Lancer Ralliart brake system includes anti-lock brakes (ABS) to help enhance steering control during emergency maneuvers. Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) further aids braking by monitoring traction conditions and proportioning hydraulic force applied to the front and rear wheel brakes where it will do the most good."

https://media.mitsubishicars.com/rel...1-fd104b06fc0b
Old May 14, 2019, 02:54 PM
EvoM Guru

I've literally said this before lol. All modern cars is the ABS module for brake force disto.
Old May 14, 2019, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
I didn't know about this, so is this to say the computer would automatically regulate the bias and Evo X brakes in the front would be therefore accounted for in the computer auto biasing?

I assume this means if it detects lockup in the front for example it'll automatically shift it rearward and constantly try and increase braking force to the tires with the most grip.

"Another enhancement to the Lancer Ralliart brake system includes anti-lock brakes (ABS) to help enhance steering control during emergency maneuvers. Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) further aids braking by monitoring traction conditions and proportioning hydraulic force applied to the front and rear wheel brakes where it will do the most good."

https://media.mitsubishicars.com/rel...1-fd104b06fc0b
yes and no. Yes, it will prevent the fronts from locking but it will not run correct brake bias during braking while you are under the locking threshold... Basically the EBD will change brake bias depending on the longitudinal acceleration sensor from which it can calculate the "weight transfer" during braking. IIRC it can also change brake bias from left to right depending on steering, but that should be in the workshop manual..
Old May 14, 2019, 04:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
It'd be cool if it could be tuned. If its computer controlled I'd think with enough effort it could be.
Old May 14, 2019, 04:21 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
What would you tune? ABS already prevents lock. You can use a combination of pads to get the balance you want. Though I do have to say that I have a feeling our ABS kicks in a bit early. I feel like I could brake a bit harder without it. Unless our ABS system is just THAT good. But, I dunno. Just thinking out loud. Maybe my ABS was kicking in because I was using the same pad front and rear and the rear was locking too soon.
For anyone running ST43s up front, what are you putting on the rear?
Old May 14, 2019, 05:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
What would you tune? ABS already prevents lock. You can use a combination of pads to get the balance you want. Though I do have to say that I have a feeling our ABS kicks in a bit early. I feel like I could brake a bit harder without it. Unless our ABS system is just THAT good. But, I dunno. Just thinking out loud. Maybe my ABS was kicking in because I was using the same pad front and rear and the rear was locking too soon.
For anyone running ST43s up front, what are you putting on the rear?
It's that good. Also, if you go straight from WOT to fill brakes and you were spinning, the system gets "confused" momentarily, which is why the pedal will be hard and pulsey at first.
Old May 14, 2019, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i run girodisc ss in the rear with the st43 in the front.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 04:48 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Have a set of X calipers with SS pistons and 2 sets of ST47 pads for sale for $750 which is only a few hundred bucks over what I have into the pads. Just want to move this stuff to make more room in my garage :P

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/market/755102
Old Aug 13, 2019, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
That's a very good deal

Quick Reply: Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9