Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Help with 3 wheeling at autocross

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Help with 3 wheeling at autocross

[img]webkit-fake-url://fd7f555b-ff4c-4685-b405-764c02f46389/imagejpeg[/img]
Not to beat a dead horse here but looking for setup help and tips to reduce my issues with 3 wheeling. I drive a Evo IX RS which has Coilivers with 10k F 12K R with 25mm rear swaybar on full soft setting, Whiteline roll center kit with rear lower control arm bushings, RPF1 17x9.5 w/255/40-17 RE71R.
I do have room to lower ride height in the rear about 1/4"-1/2". Also would rear 10mm spacers help as I don't have any in the front. Thoughts or help from the forum members on how to overcome my issues
Old May 9, 2017, 01:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Picture doesn't work. But a bit of three wheeling is going to happen. Wheel spacer won't do much. Whats your ride height front and rear? Damper settings?
Old May 9, 2017, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

If this is the pic, it looks normal/fine. You're probably not on power here.

Have you restacked the plates in the rear diff?
Attached Thumbnails Help with 3 wheeling at autocross-photo279.jpg  
Old May 9, 2017, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Larger front sway bar and stiffer front springs can help with some of that ... but you'll have to balance everything else to match.
Old May 9, 2017, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
I lift my rear wheel way more than that. there's not really a problem with it IMO. as soon as you put power down the rear end will come down, plus if you've got a diff the car won't lose power by spinning the free wheel.
Old May 9, 2017, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Remove your rear away bar.
Swap your spring rates
Put in a bigger front bar
Old May 9, 2017, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If this is the pic, it looks normal/fine. You're probably not on power here.

Have you restacked the plates in the rear diff?
Yeah that's the pic I was trying to load. Thanks for posting it up, I was having trouble at work trying to upload it.
I do have the rear diff stack on my car and will need to measure the ride height for exact numbers. I do want to point out that another Evo who competes with us is on Ohlins with 8k F 8k R I believe and is much lower than me with 15mm rear spacers. I've noticed his car does have a lot more body roll than mine but not sure if he is 3 wheeling as well. I would need to watch him but the other cars in our class "Evo ixs" are all 3 wheeling.
Old May 9, 2017, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

i think the gist of what people are saying is you should focus on getting the car to handle properly rather than worry about which tire is touching down when.

my car does this:

Help with 3 wheeling at autocross-0bkrtnj.jpg

and it's never handled better. no struggle accelerating out of corners, braking, turning etc.
Old May 9, 2017, 08:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Really hard to setup a car based on a single snapshot in time. Scrubbing speed at corner entry and even my car hikes up a tire, and if you know anything of my car its quite different than the average. If you are concerned with how much lift you get though, raise the front of the car. But in general, its not really much of an issue.
Old May 9, 2017, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks all for your inputs. It sounds like I'm worrying about something that isn't a big deal or really an issue.

Cheers
Old May 10, 2017, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine lifts about 1 inch off the ground on RE-71R and about 4 inches with 285 Hoosiers on the car. I am running a small rear sway and TRE MAX LOCK rear diff with Muellerized Ohlins.

I'm no national champion, but see the results below from last weekend's autocross event. "PRO" indicates drivers who have won at nationals.

Old May 10, 2017, 09:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
Yeah that's the pic I was trying to load. Thanks for posting it up, I was having trouble at work trying to upload it.
I do have the rear diff stack on my car and will need to measure the ride height for exact numbers. I do want to point out that another Evo who competes with us is on Ohlins with 8k F 8k R I believe and is much lower than me with 15mm rear spacers. I've noticed his car does have a lot more body roll than mine but not sure if he is 3 wheeling as well. I would need to watch him but the other cars in our class "Evo ixs" are all 3 wheeling.
Roberts car has Muellerized Ohlin's, 9k front, 10k rear springs. Its soft. I think he also has a WL rear swaybar, not sure what it is set at.

I vaguely remember seeing you car once, and you could probably stand to raise the front and lower the rear a bit. To get these cars to handle best with stock suspension geometry, the front fender-tire gap is bigger than the rear. You still have some rake, but not a lot.
Old May 10, 2017, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the inputs, I'm going to be doing a coilover swap on Friday and will likely try to lower the rear. I agree I do have some rake.
Old May 10, 2017, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

LGTD makes a very good point about the rake, i run my car taller in the front as well, by a little. again though, i wouldn't really focus on what tires where, but more make sure the car is handling well. 1 happy tire is better than 2 pissed off tires, especially in loaded corners, and double especially when you're braking too, like in my pic above.
Old May 10, 2017, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Front sway bars were mentioned and not too much info is coming up with the search results. If I were to stay with my current Rear Sway bar and did the bigger one up front does anyone have experience on what that would do? Would it cause the Evo to plow in corners? I do recall reading in threads that many stick with a Rear Sway Bar upgrade and rarely have I seen others do the front sway bar. From the others who posted above I was shocked to see their inputs.

Quick Reply: Help with 3 wheeling at autocross