Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Guide Lines for Adjusting 2 way external coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guide Lines for Adjusting 2 way external coilovers

Hey all,

I just installed MCS 2 way external reservoir coilovers on my X. And may i say i was not prepared at all during my first track day. These are on a whole over level. I am looking for some general guideline on adjustment and just any advise you guys can share on adjusted these bad boys.

Link on the review:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rs-review.html

Thanks all

Matt
Old Jul 8, 2017, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep a link to this on my phone for quick reference

https://m.imgur.com/byemI
Old Jul 9, 2017, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the link. Ive been doing some self research and i have read some articles saying to start in the middle and go from there, others say start bump and rebound full soft, adjust rebound till laps times fall off then do same with bump. So i have some good starting points to go off of. I could always give Wyatt a call at MCS when I'm at my next track day for some pointers. Keep them coming guys.

Thanks

Matt Coon
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BriK
I keep a link to this on my phone for quick reference

https://m.imgur.com/byemI
Nice one BriK!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 05:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
What are the rest of your settings? Spring rate, alignment, tire pressures, etc
Old Jul 10, 2017, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Looking at your other thread, you seem to run way too much compression for those. Have in mind that compression adjuster is for high speed with little effect to low speed, so changing it that drastically on the track seem to be way more that I would recommend.

I have to say that I have not run those with stiffer springs, but on stock setup, I run 12/14 F/R for the rebound and 6 for compression all around. You are running much more spring that I do, so it is puzzling to me that your setup is at 11/10 rebound/compression all around. With that said, I would expect you having to run much higher rebound numbers to keep those springs under control and not much of a change with high speed compression from around 5. I wish we would have low speed adjuster instead, but it is what it is. With high speed only, there is not much we can tune with it other than how to conform to very bumpy surface, which most of the tracks are not...

There is also a possibility that you have a custom valving for yours and that would throw all of what I wrote above into the trash bin.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
Looking at your other thread, you seem to run way too much compression for those. Have in mind that compression adjuster is for high speed with little effect to low speed, so changing it that drastically on the track seem to be way more that I would recommend.

I have to say that I have not run those with stiffer springs, but on stock setup, I run 12/14 F/R for the rebound and 6 for compression all around. You are running much more spring that I do, so it is puzzling to me that your setup is at 11/10 rebound/compression all around. With that said, I would expect you having to run much higher rebound numbers to keep those springs under control and not much of a change with high speed compression from around 5. I wish we would have low speed adjuster instead, but it is what it is. With high speed only, there is not much we can tune with it other than how to conform to very bumpy surface, which most of the tracks are not...

There is also a possibility that you have a custom valving for yours and that would throw all of what I wrote above into the trash bin.

Should be the other way around.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Should be the other way around.
Yes, it should! But, it isn't...
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Yes, it should! But, it isn't...
Everything 2-way I've ever touched was low speed until you get into 3 or 4 way where you get separate high and low speed adjusters. Have you confirmed this with MCS?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Everything 2-way I've ever touched was low speed until you get into 3 or 4 way where you get separate high and low speed adjusters. Have you confirmed this with MCS?
Actually, I can not agree on this one! Most of the 2-ways I have seen are using high speed compression adjuster for some reason unknown to me. Penske 8300 is another example for the same thing. Few other ones that I have taken into consideration were also all high speed. As of MCS, I have not verify it with them, but even a main we page is showing high speed there as well.

I was even considering of getting 3-way adjusters and taking off high speed knob to use them in B-Street, where only two are allowed.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Actually, I can not agree on this one! Most of the 2-ways I have seen are using high speed compression adjuster for some reason unknown to me. Penske 8300 is another example for the same thing. Few other ones that I have taken into consideration were also all high speed. As of MCS, I have not verify it with them, but even a main we page is showing high speed there as well.

I was even considering of getting 3-way adjusters and taking off high speed knob to use them in B-Street, where only two are allowed.
Nothing on there website says it's lo or hi speed. Just because it's on the reservoir doesn't mean it's high speed only.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

From this main site:
2 WAY REMOTE (2W)
  • Monotube Design
  • 18 clicks of high speed compression adjustment
  • 18 clicks of rebound adjustment
  • 22mm shafts
  • Adjustable reservoir nitrogen pressure

I am too lazy to grab a picture of this, but that is what they say...
Old Jul 10, 2017, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Very interesting. Good to know.

Silly that they would do that. I would much rather have low speed adjustment than high speed if I had to pick one.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
What are the rest of your settings? Spring rate, alignment, tire pressures, etc
Spring rate is 700lbs square. Alignment specs are attached.

Tire PSI is set to 36psi hot with RE71r tires.

No custom valving just off the self stuff. Like i said i should have done more research before my first day out. I was just kinda going on feel and what i thought was good as far as stiffness and control. Now i have more information. 11/10 felt harsh. My JRZs where alway ran on 18-19 out of 20 clicks. I was basing the MCS on these witch i should not have.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Corner Balance Specs.docx (52.7 KB, 0 views)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GoodTimes
No custom valving just off the self stuff. Like i said i should have done more research before my first day out. I was just kinda going on feel and what i thought was good as far as stiffness and control. Now i have more information. 11/10 felt harsh. My JRZs where alway ran on 18-19 out of 20 clicks. I was basing the MCS on these witch i should not have.
In that case we have the same units under the car! I am concern that mine will have not enough rebound (with stiffer springs that is) the way they are right now, since I am almost at the top with stock springs. To me it feels that around 8 clicks off of full soft is what OEM is set at. So, I am running a bit over that and it is already awfully close to the max numbers (only 4 clicks left in the rear).
Possibility is that last few clicks are more sensitive since it is getting closer to the fully closed orifice on adjuster and I don't want to be there. Having at least 2 clicks left is what I would like to have. The way they are right now, I will be almost full stiff on asphalt and there will be nothing left for concrete adjustment at all. Guys from MCS told me to try it and if needed they would re-valve them.

Quick Reply: Guide Lines for Adjusting 2 way external coilovers