Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Road/Race Prep - Fuel and Cooling

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:35 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
My Setrab kit fit perfectly on my IX. Not sure if VIII vs IX matters. I know the brackets aren't the same, though.
I put a fan on mine, too. I believe 8", as it was the largest that would fit and I found the highest CFM I could.

Old Jul 27, 2017, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have one of those fans sitting around if anyone needs one. I had planned to do the same with my stock cooler.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I added a small fan on stock cooler way back in the day (stock-ish power) and cut holes in the bumper and didn't see any real cooling gains. Bigger cooler and moving to front made a huge difference (high power levels). Added oil capacity is always good.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 09:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Using the available frontal air space designed with the side mounted oil cooler makes the most sense to me. I like the MAP kit with the setrab cooler for sure. I thought letsgetthisdone had fitment issues and MAP blamed your car ? Maybe I am confused.

I could just try throwing a SPAL fan on the OEM oil cooler like I did with the SST cooler. Sounds like that might just be an option. No one is screaming that sky high oil temps are a common problem with the EVO X on the track.

~Jaraxle
I did have gitment issues, and they did blame my car. I modified one of their brackets, and replaced the other one with one I made, now it fits. If anyone is interested, I can post the part number of the cooler they use so you don't have to buy form map
Old Jul 27, 2017, 09:29 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidloco51
I added a small fan on stock cooler way back in the day (stock-ish power) and cut holes in the bumper and didn't see any real cooling gains.
I'm only at 450whp and have noticed some difference. I haven't hit 300* yet LOL. On the MAP B&M kit, i saw 300* while driving in cool weather. I was like "WTF??".

I added the fan to help cool the car down in the pit area. I don't think it would provide benefit while I'm moving. In fact.. I was hoping it wouldn't hinder airflow while on track. So far, so good.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
letsgetthisdone - yes please do post the part number for the setrab cooler that comes with the MAP kit. I can cook up a bracket I am sure.

Also I wanted to discuss more the fuel starvation issue. I have decided to try something a little bit off the traditional path. Instead of a full blown surge tank, I am looking at doing something similar to what Chet did with an in-tank mounted OEM pump lifting fuel from the passenger side to the drivers side mounted fuel pump. Radium makes the pump to barb adapter for 85 bucks and that is the most expensive part required. I bought four Walbro fuel pickups (3" round each) that close when they are starved of fuel. There was a deal on amazon and they were basically 70% off. They do NOT work with E85, but I am sticking with 93 so that's fine. I can connect all four of the pickups with gasoline submersible fuel hose and then to the OEM pump that will be run at 9v (Chet did the same low voltage since there isn't fuel pressure to deal with). The pump will then dump the fuel in the OEM fuel pump hanger/basket.
The cost to build this is around 200 bucks (already have OEM pump). My plan is to mount a power switch so I can turn on this 2nd pump when at the track, so it won't just be running all the time on the daily.
For my low-ish power car (400whp) and low(er) fuel demand due to 93, I feel a full blown surge tank would be overkill.
I will post pics in this thread as the parts come in, and install this in the tank.

Anyone see any big issues with this concept?
Like I said Chet did similar with success I read, but he used the Holley Hydramat which is very expensive.

The stock venturi and passenger pickup just seems to be complete crap and has bitten a lot of track guys.

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
¸I am doing exactly the same... additional pump in the passenger side filling the main side all the time. I am using a low pressure 190 lph pump, that is very low amp.. like 2A or so..

No venturi, and no OE fuel filter anymore..

I will do a writeup when I am done... OE tank has a internal 3 litre surge tank around the fuel pump actually.. so with the second lift pump it keeps the fuel around main pump even in 1+G turns... I did some experiments in the workshop first..
as for setrab.. it is easy to fabricate a mount that connects to the OE mount.
Road/Race Prep - Fuel and Cooling-35wed33.jpg
Old Jul 28, 2017, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

kikiturbo - We are talking EVO X ?

"OE tank has a internal 3 litre surge tank around the fuel pump actually"

What did you use for the fuel pickups? I have seen the hydramats used, I am going to try the walbro pickups. They need to be able to go dry, which those two solutions both support.

Last question - What is the fitting for the OEM oil cooler connect points? Is it a -AN fitting or a ORB ? Please specify so I know what I need to order to connect the setrab.

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 28, 2017, 07:12 AM
EvoM Guru

I'll snag the cooler part number this evening.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
kikiturbo - We are talking EVO X ?

"OE tank has a internal 3 litre surge tank around the fuel pump actually"

What did you use for the fuel pickups? I have seen the hydramats used, I am going to try the walbro pickups. They need to be able to go dry, which those two solutions both support.

Last question - What is the fitting for the OEM oil cooler connect points? Is it a -AN fitting or a ORB ? Please specify so I know what I need to order to connect the setrab.

~Jaraxle

setrab we use is 50-625-7612

on the cooler attachments are 22x1.5mm, and on the engine 18x1.5 mm thread.. you can get AN adapters for those. I managed to find these industrial ones that are straight 22x1.5 to 10AN with 90 deg bend, and the same for 18x1.5 to 10 AN for the engine side.. this is from Hansa-flex

tank.. no, my tank is evo 9... I have a large writeup on the ful issue but that will wait untill I have the pump system ready.. We developed 2 systems.. one is with 1 extra pump and the other has 3 extra pumps and has a real surge tank.. all inside the OE tank.. the second system requires some welding...

The pickups are normal warlbro pickups.. but I am not using warlbro for the extra pump.. as I said I found a low amp pump as current use is an issue

You cant let the pumps run dry... this is a big NO NO...
Old Jul 28, 2017, 08:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
The X for sure does not have a 3 litre OEM surge tank around anything.

The OEM fuel cup liquid volume capacity:

No pump
0.71 liters

With oem pump
0.177 liters

Basically, it doesn't hold shiat.

Radium fuel cup without pump(s):
1.28 liters
The following users liked this post:
Jaraxle (Aug 16, 2017)
Old Jul 28, 2017, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

I thought it was 18x1.5 to 10 AN for the oil cooler.
I found the right banjo bolts for 18 bucks.

Does anyone know if -8an (1/2" hose) would actually be a restriction?
My guess is that it would not be.

As for the lift fuel pump running dry; with the four walbro pickups I am going to place in the tank, one will always have fuel. In theory the lift pump would never go dry, but up to three pickups can go dry (they snap shut when they are starved). Since this is just a lift pump if it went dry (the pump) for an instant (which it shouldn't) at least nothing would go boom.

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 28, 2017, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
The X for sure does not have a 3 litre OEM surge tank around anything.

The OEM fuel cup liquid volume capacity:

No pump
0.71 liters

With oem pump
0.177 liters

Basically, it doesn't hold shiat.

Radium fuel cup without pump(s):
1.28 liters

Can I have the lift pump dump into the OEM fuel cup (via drilling + fitting in the bottom or side)? Will I have to drill relief holes so it doesn't become pressurized with fuel?

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 28, 2017, 08:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Can I have the lift pump dump into the OEM fuel cup (via drilling + fitting in the bottom or side)? Will I have to drill relief holes so it doesn't become pressurized with fuel?
The people that have tried what you are trying have the lift pump dumping fuel into the cup.

The cup never gets pressurized, it's an open top.

Here is a diagram for a lifter pump solution I drew up awhile back when I was going to go down the same road. Ignore the surge tank part of it.

I have since decided to just get the Radium cup.

Old Jul 28, 2017, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

I thought it was 18x1.5 to 10 AN for the oil cooler.
I found the right banjo bolts for 18 bucks.

Does anyone know if -8an (1/2" hose) would actually be a restriction?
My guess is that it would not be.

As for the lift fuel pump running dry; with the four walbro pickups I am going to place in the tank, one will always have fuel. In theory the lift pump would never go dry, but up to three pickups can go dry (they snap shut when they are starved). Since this is just a lift pump if it went dry (the pump) for an instant (which it shouldn't) at least nothing would go boom.

~Jaraxle

8an line is plenty for the stock cooler location, the banjo ends of the stock line neck down to like 8mm ID, smaller than 8an. If you were to mount the cooler up front (between the radiator and intercooler), I would probably use 10an line due to the additional length.
The following users liked this post:
Jaraxle (Jul 28, 2017)

Quick Reply: Road/Race Prep - Fuel and Cooling