Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Road/Race Prep - Fuel and Cooling

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Road/Race Prep - Fuel and Cooling

Looking for info from some real world experience with road/race 'ing the EVO X.

I have taken many years off from track events and am thinking of seeing how my EVO MR performs.

Previous cars that I ran: Eclipse Turbo (2002-2006) and Z06 (2006-2012). The Z06 only asked for track pads, rotors (36 dollars each ) and high temp fluid. The Eclipse was a "big"-16G setup on crack and fully forged. I honestly was faster at Watkins Glen in the Eclipse than the Z06!

My main questions on the EVO X are on cooling and fuel:

1.) I am making about 180hp to the wheels more than stock. I will tone that down for the track to maybe +130hp. Can the stock radiator and oil cooler keep up with that?

2.) My fuel is 93 octane. I am running a CNT 255lph fuel pump, which has been fine. I am concerned about hard long left turn starvation. What are the best (cost effective) options? I was looking at the radium in tank fuel pump basket with upgraded venturi return and thinking maybe that would be enough given that I am not running E85. Or I could top off the tank after every run. I hear half tank is about the limit
I remember someone on here (Chet?) putting the OEM pump at 9v in the tank to pull fuel from the passenger side and dump to the drivers side. That seemed like a direct solution to the problem!

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 24, 2017, 07:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
It's not just hard left turns, its combined left turns. Always keep it full. With 93 you should be okay for now but once you go to stickier tires and go to a track with a bunch of left sweeping turns combined a row, you will get starvation towards half a tank.

Example on the track I frequent, I would get starvation tracking out of turn 8 and out of turn 1.

Old Jul 24, 2017, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

What's your thoughts on needing a better radiator? The Eclipse was always starved for good radiator airflow, but the EVO was designed for a FMIC from the beginning. Of course more power doesn't help the situation. I also have blocked a bit of the radiator with a custom large SST cooler on the drivers side.

The radium basket looks pretty sweet for a "mild" setup like I have (no E85). I would be looking at 600 bucks and just drop my current fuel pump in and tune the venturi return. Any thoughts on that?

http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pump-...VO-X-P974.aspx

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 24, 2017, 08:32 PM
EvoM Guru

My water temps weren't bad with OEM Radiator/oil cooler. Tuning fan tables also helps.

The radium basket will for sure help. It holds MUCH more fluid than OEM.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
Tuning fan tables also helps.
Tell me more lol. You can tune the fans to turn on at certain degree? Thats freaking awesome!!!! Need to do that. I always turn the A/C on when i want the second fan to turn on.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126778

Really old thread i started awhile back. Talks about cooling and the Evo X. I'm the kinda person that likes to track all year around, even in 115 deg heat witch i have done before.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 02:44 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
From what I've read, the MR trans really doesn't handle heat well. May wanna check into that.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 07:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by GoodTimes
Tell me more lol. You can tune the fans to turn on at certain degree? Thats freaking awesome!!!! Need to do that. I always turn the A/C on when i want the second fan to turn on.
Yup.

Speed + temp
Main Fan
AC Fan

Helps a TON on cool down laps and paddock.
The following users liked this post:
Jaraxle (Jul 25, 2017)
Old Jul 25, 2017, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Yup.

Speed + temp
Main Fan
AC Fan

Helps a TON on cool down laps and paddock.

I am still an accessport guy and will poke around and see if I can find this!
This is the kind of stuff that makes these threads so valuable

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 25, 2017, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
From what I've read, the MR trans really doesn't handle heat well. May wanna check into that.
Yes that is for certain.
I have a total of three coolers:

1.) OEM cooler with SPAL fan triggered @ 180F
2.) Custom Large front mounted cooler
3.) Custom liquid/liquid heater/cooler

I pretty much designed and gave away the directions/wiring/entire system in a thread I posted here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...ler-build.html

After reading up on the thread posted above on the other forum, and knowing that I am dumping up to 32,000 BTU to the radiator via the liquid heat exchanger, I think that at a minimum I need the Mishimoto X-line radiator. Found it on ebay for around 350 bucks. That is some cheap insurance.

~Jaraxle

Last edited by Jaraxle; Jul 25, 2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
I am still an accessport guy and will poke around and see if I can find this!
This is the kind of stuff that makes these threads so valuable

~Jaraxle
AP on a MR? I'm sorry...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 09:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yes that is for certain.
I have a total of three coolers:

1.) OEM cooler with SPAL fan triggered @ 180F
2.) Custom Large front mounted cooler
3.) Custom liquid/liquid heater/cooler

I pretty much designed and gave away the directions/wiring/entire system in a thread I posted here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...ler-build.html

After reading up on the thread posted above on the other forum, and knowing that I am dumping up to 32,000 BTU to the radiator via the liquid heat exchanger, I think that at a minimum I need the Mishimoto X-line radiator. Found it on ebay for around 350 bucks. That is some cheap insurance.

~Jaraxle

Mishimoto is junk, it will be worse than stock. If you're hell bent on a radiator upgrade, go with a CSF. They make an all aluminum OEM replacement for the X using their B-tube core tech. Great radiator. I linked it for sale on amazon for you:

Amazon Amazon
Jaraxle (Jul 25, 2017)
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

AP on a MR? I'm sorry...
Maybe ignorance is bliss, but the current tune I am running is fantastic and the transmission is locked in solid.

Without getting too far off topic, is there are summary list of SST capabilities that are not accessible with accessport? I would like to know what I am missing. I have thrown around the idea of having someone just take all my MAP,MAF,Boost, etc tables and converting me over.

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Mishimoto is junk, it will be worse than stock. If you're hell bent on a radiator upgrade, go with a CSF. They make an all aluminum OEM replacement for the X using their B-tube core tech. Great radiator. I linked it for sale on amazon for you:

https://www.amazon.com/CSF-7019-High.../dp/B00YJEJH70
Back in my HPDE Eclipse days I had cooling issues on track, and it ruins the day worrying about overheating. I remember running the heater and boiling myself and wiring up the 2nd fan on constant in the pits....

Since I am throwing more heat at the stock radiator via the liquid/liquid cooler and after reading about other experiences I am thinking it is a requirement. I guess you can say I am hell bent on not having cooling issues. Thanks for that link, that does look like a solid piece and it is even cheaper than the mishimoto! I know HiBoost has run the X-line one with success, and that is why I was looking at it.

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:49 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Do NOT buy Mishimoto. You would regret it.
Jaraxle (Jul 25, 2017)
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Back in my HPDE Eclipse days I had cooling issues on track, and it ruins the day worrying about overheating. I remember running the heater and boiling myself and wiring up the 2nd fan on constant in the pits....

Since I am throwing more heat at the stock radiator via the liquid/liquid cooler and after reading about other experiences I am thinking it is a requirement. I guess you can say I am hell bent on not having cooling issues. Thanks for that link, that does look like a solid piece and it is even cheaper than the mishimoto! I know HiBoost has run the X-line one with success, and that is why I was looking at it.

~Jaraxle
The Eclipse didn't cool worth a rats ****. Evo is a whole nother' game. I never had cooling issues on my 8 on track and the 10 seems even better.

Oil cooler could use upgrading though. I upgraded to the MAP unit. No idea how well it works yet. Need my car back first.

Quick Reply: Road/Race Prep - Fuel and Cooling