Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Road/Race Prep - Fuel and Cooling

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
The X for sure does not have a 3 litre OEM surge tank around anything.

The OEM fuel cup liquid volume capacity:

No pump
0.71 liters

With oem pump
0.177 liters

Basically, it doesn't hold shiat.

Radium fuel cup without pump(s):
1.28 liters
on the 9 the fuel pump is in a part of the tank that has a sort of a "bowl" inside, with sides going up to the top of the tank... all fuel is basically fed into it trough a smallish hole on the bottom.. Now, if you have enough feed pumps to feed fuel from other parts of the tank, you have an internal surge tank...
Old Jul 28, 2017, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
I thought it was 18x1.5 to 10 AN for the oil cooler.
I found the right banjo bolts for 18 bucks.

Does anyone know if -8an (1/2" hose) would actually be a restriction?
My guess is that it would not be.

As for the lift fuel pump running dry; with the four walbro pickups I am going to place in the tank, one will always have fuel. In theory the lift pump would never go dry, but up to three pickups can go dry (they snap shut when they are starved). Since this is just a lift pump if it went dry (the pump) for an instant (which it shouldn't) at least nothing would go boom.

~Jaraxle
on my setrab it is 22x1.5 but there are adapters 22 to 18 which you can get..

a fully dry fuel pump will run for 5 sec before it breaks down.. I tried.. If you have a pump transferring fuel from the pass side tank into the main one you will, at something like 1/2 tank, have a full empty pass side tank... What you need is a float in the pass side that switches off the second pump when empty..
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
on the 9 the fuel pump is in a part of the tank that has a sort of a "bowl" inside, with sides going up to the top of the tank... all fuel is basically fed into it trough a smallish hole on the bottom.. Now, if you have enough feed pumps to feed fuel from other parts of the tank, you have an internal surge tank...
Yup, I know. We aren't discussing the CT9A here though
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
on my setrab it is 22x1.5 but there are adapters 22 to 18 which you can get..

a fully dry fuel pump will run for 5 sec before it breaks down.. I tried.. If you have a pump transferring fuel from the pass side tank into the main one you will, at something like 1/2 tank, have a full empty pass side tank... What you need is a float in the pass side that switches off the second pump when empty..
I am going to run four auto-closing fuel pickups. One at each "corner" of the tank.
Unless all four corners of the fuel tank are completely empty, the lifting fuel pump will never go dry.

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

I am going to run four auto-closing fuel pickups.
never seen those.. will be interesting to see how they work..
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

never seen those.. will be interesting to see how they work..
I plan to document the entire process in this thread. You guys are simply awesome with how fast you respond and having actual experience and specific information.

Once the parts come in I will lay them out and take some pics. I ordered the radium adapter for the OEM pump, the in tank fuel hose, and all four pickups. My setup is NOT E85 safe. I contacted walbro and the fuel pickups are good for 10% ethanol only.

As for the oil cooler. I found the equivalent setrab cooler by Derale.
Derale part number 52508. I am a fan of them, and you basically get 98% setrab for 70% of the price. I am wondering if the cooler itself will need banjo fittings or if I can get away with 90 degree -8an fittings...

letsgetthisdone I thanked you for the oil adapter neck down info. Since I am sticking with side-mount -8 an sounds fine. I already have matching hose, so that helps.

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Look at the koyo oil coolers too, good prices and quality stuff
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Yup, I know. We aren't discussing the CT9A here though
I have to get my hands on a evo X tank to investigate... although a quick google search shows that the GSR has an "open" tank while the RS models had a separate section around the pump like the older cars..
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

I am wondering if the cooler itself will need banjo fittings or if I can get away with 90 degree -8an fittings...
I am not sure about the X but on the 9 the problem wasnt the 90 deg fitting itself but the height of the 22x1.5 to AN10 adapter.. that is why I was stoked to find a 22x1.5 to AN10 90 deg adapter....
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

For connecting the oil cooler to the OEM thermostat I found these fittings and ordered them.

The remaining -8 an fittings: 2x 90 degree and 2x straight to hose and 6ft of hose came to $37 bucks and change.

So for all the fittings and hose to connect a -8an cooler to the 18mm oil ports comes to $68 bucks.

~Jaraxle

​​​​​​

Last edited by Jaraxle; Jul 28, 2017 at 07:59 PM. Reason: summary of fittings
Old Jul 28, 2017, 07:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Setrab that MAP uses.
Attached Thumbnails Road/Race Prep - Fuel and Cooling-photo487.jpg  
Old Jul 28, 2017, 07:56 PM
EvoM Guru

I have to get my hands on a evo X tank to investigate... although a quick google search shows that the GSR has an "open" tank while the RS models had a separate section around the pump like the older cars..
Yes, I could have told you that. We don't get the RS here so that's basically irrelevant.

The Evo X tank drivers side cross section (With radium cup):

The Evo X tank drivers side cross section (With OEM cup):

Old Jul 28, 2017, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

The Setrab 50-625-7612 specs align with the following Derale unit:

http://derale.com/products/fluid-coo...-inlets-detail

I am using a Derale cooler on the crash beam for the SST and it is a solid piece. As I mentioned above; something like 95% setrab quality for 70% of the price.

Looks like I am going to be $218 total for the oil cooler setup (not including fabbing up a bracket).
Not too shabby for the level of oil cooling capability it will add.

The fuel pickup & lift setup will probably be around the same price, and the CSF radiator is around $275.

So to get the car track ready with fuel and cooling will end up being around $700. Not having to worry about blowing my motor or over cooking my engine: priceless.

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 28, 2017, 08:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Are you sure that's the same unit they use for the Evo 10?

I can take a photo of mine this weekend if you want. SINCE I FINALLY GOT MY CAR BACK IN MY DRIVEWAY.... yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyY!!!!

btw, I'm not sure how you are going to get pickups in the corners of the passenger side of the tank. The opening on the top is TINY.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Are you sure that's the same unit they use for the Evo 10?

I can take a photo of mine this weekend if you want. SINCE I FINALLY GOT MY CAR BACK IN MY DRIVEWAY.... yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyY!!!!

btw, I'm not sure how you are going to get pickups in the corners of the passenger side of the tank. The opening on the top is TINY.
I didn't order the actual oil cooler yet. So yes please do make sure that is the correct setrab part number for the EVO X, I appreciate it.

As for placing the pickups. I have a plan for mounting them, and I have a USB endoscope camera. The rest will be an exercise in patience and probably some cuts and swearing... Probably contract the wife since her arms are skinny....

~Jaraxle

Quick Reply: Road/Race Prep - Fuel and Cooling