Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Road/Race Prep - Fuel and Cooling

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
I didn't order the actual oil cooler yet. So yes please do make sure that is the correct setrab part number for the EVO X, I appreciate it.

As for placing the pickups. I have a plan for mounting them, and I have a USB endoscope camera. The rest will be an exercise in patience and probably some cuts and swearing... Probably contract the wife since her arms are skinny....

~Jaraxle
I was always thinking about using strong magnets to stick fuel pickups/pumps to distant corners of the tank..
Old Jul 29, 2017, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
As for placing the pickups. I have a plan for mounting them, and I have a USB endoscope camera. The rest will be an exercise in patience and probably some cuts and swearing... Probably contract the wife since her arms are skinny....
Unless your wife is the size of a four year old... good luck... when I say tiny, I really mean tiny...

Old Jul 29, 2017, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
I was always thinking about using strong magnets to stick fuel pickups/pumps to distant corners of the tank..
Bingo! I ordered some with holes in them that will be stainless screwed around the pickup.

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 29, 2017, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Unless your wife is the size of a four year old... good luck... when I say tiny, I really mean tiny...

What's the smaller hole on the passenger side?
That might help!

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 29, 2017, 09:57 AM
EvoM Guru

What's the smaller hole on the passenger side?
That might help!

~Jaraxle
That is the hole I am referencing. That is how you access the passenger side tank. It's like the size of a dollar coin.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

That is the hole I am referencing. That is how you access the passenger side tank. It's like the size of a dollar coin.

Perfect. I will make it work. Somehow Chet got the hydramat in position on that side. I am thinking my magnetic pickups connected with hose will be easier. We shall see!

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 30, 2017, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

I did some more google searches and I don't think that the EVO X MAP kit uses the Setrab 50-625-7612. The Setrab 50-625-7612 is a 25 row cooler and I am 99% sure that the EVO X MAP kit uses a Setrab cooler that is a 19 row.

razorlab - if you can get the setrab part number off your car, that would be appreciated.

~Jaraxle
Old Jul 30, 2017, 07:46 PM
EvoM Guru

I did some more google searches and I don't think that the EVO X MAP kit uses the Setrab 50-625-7612. The Setrab 50-625-7612 is a 25 row cooler and I am 99% sure that the EVO X MAP kit uses a Setrab cooler that is a 19 row.

razorlab - if you can get the setrab part number off your car, that would be appreciated.

~Jaraxle
I'm 90% sure it's 50-625-7612 as I remember counting the rows when I received the package.

I pulled my undertray today to deal with other things (as you know) but I didn't take a photo of the cooler.

FYI, the undertray had to be cut to accommodate the lower mounting bracket (on the cooler, not MAP bracket), at least with the MAP kit. It maybe protrudes 1/2" through the undertray.

FYI, with the MAP cooler plus the MAP oil pan. The oil capacity grows to 6.5 qts. As I learned today when I changed my oil for the first time....
Old Jul 31, 2017, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

According to post #86 in this thread:

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...t=64781&page=9

The MAP and SSP coolers are both Setrab Part # 50-619-7612
CORE: 9.25" x 5.75"

The mishimoto kit for the EVO X uses TWO of these:
https://www.mishimoto.com/19-row-oil-cooler.html

CORE: 11.0" x 5.43" (x2 of them)

So I am thinking of copying the mishimoto design with two Derale coolers in a V formation. The same cooler I already bolted on the front for the SST, and was impressed with:

https://derale.com/products/fluid-co...adapter-detail

Radium pump adapter arrived today. Cannot believe that tiny little part was 85 bucks!

~Jaraxle
Old Aug 1, 2017, 09:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You probably really don't need two oil coolers. Mishimoto probably uses two because their cores suck...lol
The following users liked this post:
Jaraxle (Aug 3, 2017)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Parts are arriving!
My wife took a picture and texted me "Christmas again for you?"...
Luckily she is about as cool as it gets...

Anyhow back to fuel pickup design. I was considering directly connecting all four pickups directly to the fuel pump. No secondary lift pump.

However, each fuel pickup can support 40gal/hr of gasoline per hour. My car at full chat is sucking 52gal/hr. So if THREE fuel pickups go dry then the FOURTH will shut by the flow rate alone = BOOM BOOM!

So I could stick with the lift pump to fuel pump container idea, or figure that no way THREE pickups would be dry.
Thoughts ?
I like the decreased complexity. No addition pump, wiring, etc.. But it seems like it MAY be more risky to have them directly connected to the only pump.

~Jaraxle
Old Aug 3, 2017, 03:02 PM
EvoM Guru

...Or you could just get the Radium pump hanger that has almost the same capacity as their surge tank.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

...Or you could just get the Radium pump hanger that has almost the same capacity as their surge tank.
And keep it filled with my walbro pickup lift pump plan ?
Or your thinking their venturi can flow enough?

The venturi only works if there is a good excess amount of fuel being returned from the FPR. I am guessing there isn't much being returned at high RPM and WOT, or at least it is a concern of mine.

~Jaraxle
Old Aug 9, 2017, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Leaning towards just connecting the four pickups directly to my current pump via the radium adapter that arrived.

It will look something like this... Ok well swap the fancy fuel cell in your mind with our ridiculous tank and I am not using hard lines between the pickups... but you get the idea. All four corners with the walbro pickups.

So I will be losing the factory filter. Actually probably butcher the entire hanger/pump-filter assembly.

For the fuel filter, I have one of this jegs 40 micron jobbers people use and decided it wasn't good enough. ID injectors have a ridiculous recommendation from Bosch for filtering and I can get to 10 micron without breaking the bank. So I went with one of these ($111 shipped):

I will mount the filter to the firewall in a nice spot I scoped out and it will slice in where everyone else usually does (between hard line feed and hard line going to fuel rail). Since this is the engine bay I didn't mess around and went with PTFE lines of A+ quality and AN fittings. More (actual) pics to come...
Old Aug 10, 2017, 07:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
This is a whole metric **** ton over thinking when you could have just installed surge tank of some fashion.
The following users liked this post:
Jaraxle (Sep 5, 2018)

Quick Reply: Road/Race Prep - Fuel and Cooling