Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Toyo 888r?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 07:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
The Vette and GTR guys were super into them, but I suspect they're at the pointy end for those extreme sizes.

Also, what % of vette guys really track their car vs just cruise on the street between wiping with a diaper?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 08:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Why do vette guys seem to love them? Is it simply just the sizing they come in makes them a good choice or is there something about perhaps that chassis that makes them more favorable?

I think it's a combination of the sizing and the R888/888R's ability to put the power down very well in a straight line. I know they have a HUGE following in the supra community as well, because they are a great tire that is better at hooking up than any street tires available and can actually corner quite well.

I liked them for track days on my previous supra, however they are absolutely pathetic for autox as they cannot get up to temp quick enough. (I've autox'd on them multiple times in a Supra and GTR).

On a side note, weren't the 888R tires supposed to come up to temp quicker than their original version?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 08:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Why do vette guys seem to love them? Is it simply just the sizing they come in makes them a good choice or is there something about perhaps that chassis that makes them more favorable?

They're vette guys, what more is there to say? lol

But seriously, it's probably a sizing thing. And you should take reviews with a grain of salt when they're from people who likely haven't used any other tire...

Originally Posted by Dallas J
The Vette and GTR guys were super into them, but I suspect they're at the pointy end for those extreme sizes.

Also, what % of vette guys really track their car vs just cruise on the street between wiping with a diaper?
Or if they are on track, they're at about 6 tenths and in the way...
Old Feb 27, 2018, 02:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J

The guys I know that use them run a C5FRP and an '03 Cobra and love them. I'm not sure if they have tried anything else, but they have run 1:53.xxx at BWRP, so not too bad. It may be due to size because they run some pretty meaty rubber.

Old Mar 19, 2018, 07:46 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
I run them on my supercharged Z06 that puts down just under 700whp. There really are not that many good options for the stock size 19"x12" or 20"x12" wheels for our cars. A lot of the straight line guys prefer the MT or Nitto drag radials but some of us other guys that want a bit more performance than just drag launching it's either the R888R's or MPSC2's. The price difference between those two is significant so really it was an easy decision to go with the Toyo's. I replaced the stock F1's with a a brand new set of 335 MPSS's but they were pretty much useless at full throttle at any rpm until you hit 4th gear and even then on slick pavement I can easily break traction when it comes on full boost above 5k.

One good thing about the R888R's is that they have lasted me over 7k miles which is really good considering the MPSS's can be shredded after 4-5k miles :P

I run 71R's on the Evo and wish they made them in the correct sizes for my vette