Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Car is 3 wheeling, Stiffer swaybar or up spring rates?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 01:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I'd like to see some pictures of peoples control arm angles claiming level. You really have about 0.5" of lowering before the arm goes inverted.
My car is danged-near stock height. I lowered the car until the front and rear arms were level, then raised one end until I had the desired rake. I get no love from the car show peeps
Old Mar 27, 2018, 02:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
This is mine with basically out of the box ohlins ride height settings. And the WL balljoint/tie rod. I'll take a more current picture but I havent lowered the car at all.

Old Mar 27, 2018, 02:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
My car is danged-near stock height. I lowered the car until the front and rear arms were level, then raised one end until I had the desired rake. I get no love from the car show peeps
Heh, Well now that sounds just about right. I do know some other fast AX people that are also much higher than they use to be and got faster for it. I know some subcribe to the idea of CG first, geometry later, but Evos do different things front and rear that it densest really work that well. Roll axis with one above ground and one way below, now thats a funky setup
Old Mar 27, 2018, 02:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Just for reference, that seam isnt the axis of pivots. The ball joint pivots just a couple mm's above that line.

Originally Posted by V.8MR
This is mine with basically out of the box ohlins ride height settings. And the WL balljoint/tie rod. I'll take a more current picture but I havent lowered the car at all.

Old Mar 27, 2018, 07:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
I'd like to see some pictures of peoples control arm angles claiming level. You really have about 0.5" of lowering before the arm goes inverted.
when the arm inverts is that when u start getting issues with positive camber or?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 03:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Just for reference, that seam isnt the axis of pivots. The ball joint pivots just a couple mm's above that line.

so where do u recommend measuring from?

Ive been recently measuring from the back of the wheel arch where that pinch weld is. or front of the wheel arch for the back. due to having a flat bottom i cant get to the jack points where people normally use.

Is it maybe better to measure directly from the bottom of the ball joint?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 05:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
an LSD Rear diff upgrade is also on the nice to have list.
If you think you're going to do this you might want to do it sooner rather than later.. it will probably change a lot about how the car handles and you may have to reconsider a lot of things.

Originally Posted by bee-radd
One thing i would really like to do is set the ride height up. im wondering if maybe the ride height is too high and the suspension isnt getting much travel. i tried to keep the A arms level but i might drop the whole car down like 20mm and see how that feels also. probably not for this track as pukekohe is stupidly bumpy and the car already bottoms out down the front straight.
I dunno about the more expensive Tein stuff, but Tein is not typically known for having lots of travel and absorbing bumps well
Old Mar 28, 2018, 07:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
so where do u recommend measuring from?

Ive been recently measuring from the back of the wheel arch where that pinch weld is. or front of the wheel arch for the back. due to having a flat bottom i cant get to the jack points where people normally use.

Is it maybe better to measure directly from the bottom of the ball joint?
I dont really care about the location of the pinch welds or anything like that. I just measure ground to fender edge because its quick, easy, and consistent. As long as you know your tire diameter its easy enough to compare to other setups.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Ground to fender, on track racing Evos, front and rear, will measure about 24.5".
On dual purpose about 25.5" front 25.25" rear perhaps.

I regretfully forgot ground to pinch weld, but dare to suggest that 25.5" front (and 25.25" rear) results in about 6.25" front and 6.5" rear ground to pinch weld distance.

FYI: RS rear LSD will induce more push, understeer. AYC is torque vectoring, so driving out understeer. Change in behaviuor with RS will be somewhat "negative", but maybe more "consistent". Maybe: in my experience AYC on car with settled chassis (properly set on stiffer coilovers etc) works super predictably and in the magic-way it was designed to, only on stock suspension AYC may surprise the "uninitiated driver". Nobody says Evo X is unpredictable at the edge, nobody: yet it has AYC! So its one of those "folk-tales" from the past, just like upgrading Evo Rod bolts..yet rod bolts never break but rods do!! And often from poor tuning, what is even worse.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:52 AM
kaj

Roll axis with one above ground and one way below, now thats a funky setup
That's what I was aiming to avoid. The car handled fine, IMO, when It was on the stock Bilsteins so I wasn't too worried about needing the car lower. It would be great, but not at all costs.
As a bonus, I don't have to worry about parking lots because the lip clears curbs
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
My car is danged-near stock height.
I can confirm, if your control arms are level in the front you are pretty much at stock ride height. My car was recently on stock suspension and I took a look at the front control arm angle and I noticed that it was parrallel to the ground already. Unless you have done the Whiteline RCK ball joint then you can go a bit lower and still have parallel arms.

Dallas is right, the front can do some wonky stuff with ride height on the Evo. But the general rule is lowering the front, lowers the front CG and reduces lateral load transfer. This increases grip. But it increases front body roll due to the increase in roll couple, which can negatively affect camber as you are on a crappy part of the camber curve due to the angle of the control arm and that can reduce grip. Then there is the wheel rate due to the springs, motion ratio and the sway bars. It's a complex multi matrix problem to solve. If you go too low you end up losing grip but there is a sweet spot and that depends on your setup.

Also the way I like to measure ride height is from the wheel center to the fender lip, that way it isn't affected by the diameter of the wheels.

Have fun.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:57 PM
kaj

When I'm done with school , I'm going back to continue engineering courses. I'd love to be able to really dive into the suspension of my car ,in that way.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:36 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya

Also the way I like to measure ride height is from the wheel center to the fender lip, that way it isn't affected by the diameter of the wheels.

Have fun.
But if you use pinch welds, wheel diameter won't matter; you're only measuring the difference between front and rear.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 08:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya

Dallas is right, the front can do some wonky stuff with ride height on the Evo. But the general rule is lowering the front, lowers the front CG and reduces lateral load transfer. This increases grip. But it increases front body roll due to the increase in roll couple, which can negatively affect camber as you are on a crappy part of the camber curve due to the angle of the control arm and that can reduce grip. Then there is the wheel rate due to the springs, motion ratio and the sway bars. It's a complex multi matrix problem to solve. If you go too low you end up losing grip but there is a sweet spot and that depends on your setup.
That's definitely an important distinction to understand about roll centers. Raising the roll center alone doesn't increase grip, it may actually lower it if that effect is considered alone. Its the combo of geometry fix with camber curves and softening front bar with the reduced roll couple that gets you better grip and less dive. That and the ability to really push the low without compromising other things.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
But if you use pinch welds, wheel diameter won't matter; you're only measuring the difference between front and rear.
Yes, that works too. It's a personal preference thing.

Dallas gets what I'm sayin' ... now stop posting on the forums and get my rear upper spring perches ready!