Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo 8 Auto X questions/recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Evo 8 Auto X questions/recommendations

Hi guys,

I am looking to start auto cross. I am quite familiar and experienced with drag/roll racing but want to expand my horizons. I am looking for recommendations on pads and rotors all around as well as brake fluid. I have a few questions though. When it comes to the pads and rotors should I use them strictly on track days or leave them for daily driving use as well? If I can leave them on, are they extremely loud and obnoxious? I had Hawk pads that would SCREAM every time I brake.. not really wanting to get into those again.

I have a set of lightweight wheels and looking to possibly purchase Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R's for use only on track days.

I appreciate any recommendations, most of the threads I found when searching were for EVO X auto crossing.

Thanks!
Carla
Old Apr 30, 2018, 07:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
The biggest thing to do for newcomer in AutoX is to just go out and do it. Don't worry about your pads or anything other than just everything working.

Back when my car was more street driven, I never bothered with swapping rotors or pads ever though I saw others that did. Its pretty pointless IMO for street to AX. For a track pad, yeah I could see putting in something higher temp like the ST43. For street (in the winter) and early season AX I'm using the Giro S/S but also have the ST43s for when nationals season kicks off and track days.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 08:32 AM

Thanks for your help! I appreciate that. I do want to just get out there and do it, just wanted to make sure I was doing it safely since I do daily this evo. =)

Originally Posted by Dallas J
The biggest thing to do for newcomer in AutoX is to just go out and do it. Don't worry about your pads or anything other than just everything working.

Back when my car was more street driven, I never bothered with swapping rotors or pads ever though I saw others that did. Its pretty pointless IMO for street to AX. For a track pad, yeah I could see putting in something higher temp like the ST43. For street (in the winter) and early season AX I'm using the Giro S/S but also have the ST43s for when nationals season kicks off and track days.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 08:49 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
+1 on just doing it. I have done some events with my track-day setup (track pads and tires) and some on chinese tires and Autozone pads. To tell the truth, I had fun either way. The Autozone pads worked better (my track pads need heat) and the chinese tires seemed to grip almost as well as my track tires (which also needed more heat). In fact, I set a FTD with the chinese tires
Worth nothing: my local AX courses are very small; we almost never see third gear.
As long as the car is safe to be on the road (no leaks, etc) then you are good for autox. Especially if you are starting out; your times won't really change much, no matter what parts are on the car. The only thing I've seen NOT work well for AX is a big turbo.
Sorry for the novel LOL.
Cliffnotes: Run what ya brung.

You're gonna have a blast, either way. Try to document the day, with pics, and post up when you're done!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Oh yeah, big turbo is just sad times for AX. I started 14years ago with a DSM and big turbo, was so bad. Swapped back to a Evo3 16g for the response and have never had the desire to go huge since. Response > *
Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:31 AM

I also agree with just sending it your first round and then you can pick and choose what you think your car needs improvement on.

I also run Hawk HP+ pads that are extremely loud, so I swap pads and rotors in-between track events. One does not simply daily an evo on these obnoxious pads.
As far as brake fluid, you don't generate an extreme amount of heat autocrossing so keeping your fluid fresh and up to date is key. I have never had issues with fresh DOT3 for autox applications but I have had brake fade running old fluid.
I have a set of RE71Rs as well, which I have on my stock set of evo wheels I swap out when I do brake pads.
My best tip I can give: When you're waiting in the grid, be sure to check coolant levels and fan operation prior to racing. Its really embarrassing to have a coolant bubble in your system and you over heat in the grid haha

The evo is an awesome machine from factory, but there is always room for improvement on braking/traction on any car. Have fun!

Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:35 AM

Awesome guys thank you!

What do you think about an FP Red?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
If you've never done an auto-x you're probably not going to be taxing your car too much as you'll be learning how to read the cones. Make sure it's safe, and don't worry about mods until you figure out if you actually like it. Then, choose a class and mod accordingly.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by terror rising
If you've never done an auto-x you're probably not going to be taxing your car too much as you'll be learning how to read the cones. Make sure it's safe, and don't worry about mods until you figure out if you actually like it. Then, choose a class and mod accordingly.
+1, if it turns out you really like autocross you might want to modify the heck out of your car OR you might want to run it in a lower-prep class like BS/STU.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
As everyone's said so far driver mod is going make the biggest impact.
Once you're more comfortable then start looking at tires and brakes. Lots of people run Centric Premium rotors. I've run a few different pads and wasn't amazed by any of them. I'll be trying out some Carbotech compounds this season between autocross and HPDE. They might be worth looking into for you since the compounds are all compatible so you don't have to bed pads in every time you switch them.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:32 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Oh yeah, big turbo is just sad times for AX. I started 14years ago with a DSM and big turbo, was so bad. Swapped back to a Evo3 16g for the response and have never had the desire to go huge since. Response > *
I am on stock turbo, since my FP Green blew up. It's a LOT more fun for autoX and I don't really miss the Green on the road course other than my lap times have gone up a bit. But.. until i get on track more often, the stock turbo is a ton of fun around town and at local AX events. I'll most likely stick with it unless I decide to go with another HTA71. Not sure I trust doing another Green.
Sorry I went off topic, OP. You know once we car peeps get talking..

Originally Posted by FlashEvolution
One does not simply daily an evo on these obnoxious pads.
When you're waiting in the grid, be sure to check coolant levels and fan operation prior to racing. Its really embarrassing to have a coolant bubble in your system and you over heat in the grid haha
I rarely drive my Evo on the street, so I leave the track pads on. Man.. people give me some dirty looks As for the coolant bubble.. burp, my friend.. burp! That should never happen haha

Originally Posted by VR4Babe13
Awesome guys thank you!

What do you think about an FP Red?
A Red could be okay if your AX courses are larger. For my local events, you would have less fun, no doubt. Making boost later makes AX difficult. There's usually a lot of second gear.. which doesn't do much for building boost. You'll still have a blast. I wouldn't worry about it unless you decide to get competitive. If it's ball bearing, that would be even better.

In the grand scheme of things, when you get out there and do an event or two, you will start to discover what you need to change as far as the car and your driving. If it's important enough to you, start researching, swapping, and making changes. Next thing you know, you may be doing national events and shooting for championships!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess I guessed right when ordering pads, since I seem to have bought the same setup as you.
Old May 3, 2018, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As most have already stated, just get out there and see how the car feels. That way when you atart making changes you will know what works, what doesnt, etc.. I would suggest first upgarde to be tires, the RE71R's are great. Then depending on class start doing some suspension mods. If you really feel you want more power, I wouldn't bother with a bigger turbo yet, it's just going to create more lag most likely. Just get E85, it's cheaper than a turbo upgrade, and you will have plenty of bottom end torque. Most importatny have fun!