Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

New setup. Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Why did you go with the Sport Cup 2's instead of something like RE-71s/Rivals/Rs4? I believe the Sport cup tires are more for track so they will need to get up to temp to be good which it'll take some of your runs for them to get up to temp. Also whatever front diff you get won't get any more performance, only more durability so the front diff housing doesn't crack.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Why did you go with the Sport Cup 2's instead of something like RE-71s/Rivals/Rs4? I believe the Sport cup tires are more for track so they will need to get up to temp to be good which it'll take some of your runs for them to get up to temp. Also whatever front diff you get won't get any more performance, only more durability so the front diff housing doesn't crack.
I got a freakishly good deal on the Cup2's and I couldn't resist. I do realize they are a track tire and I'll struggle to get them up to operating temp for the first couple autox runs but I am hoping to find some grip after that. If not, I'll change again.

I have an open front diff (2003 Evo) so any LSD would be a huge help. I regularly spin the inside front, even with the slicks, and usually lose the whole front end when trying to throttle out of even medium speed turns.
I also autoX an open diff Miata (STR NB2 on RE-71r's) and its not nearly as big of an issue since its low-power. Probably only worth a tenth or two. However, it's a huge issue on my Evo and feel its probably worth more than a second on a 60sec course.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you're giving too much throttle if you're spinning the front tires. Ease on the throttle, listen to your tires and don't overcook em for no reason. I don't know how you drive but try focusing on not slowing down too much(keep the momentum up) so you don't need to always be on the gassing so much after every element. I've been focusing on that for a little bit now and it'll make you quicker rather than relying on controlling the car with all throttle.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Sounds like you're giving too much throttle if you're spinning the front tires. Ease on the throttle, listen to your tires and don't overcook em for no reason. I don't know how you drive but try focusing on not slowing down too much(keep the momentum up) so you don't need to always be on the gassing so much after every element. I've been focusing on that for a little bit now and it'll make you quicker rather than relying on controlling the car with all throttle.
I tried posting a video but it didn't work, take a look here if you'd like tho:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UTvUya6HWwVAYxzQ8

From 0:34 to 0:38 you can hear I am feathering the throttle but still losing the front. Doing what I can with what I have but the car should be able to motor through turns like that, not need to wait until 90% straight to give it more than 15% throttle.
Disagree?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 02:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The car def needs a front LSD. You should be bale to power out of most corners, and not be feathering the throttle.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

When I was closer to stock suspension(front lsd), I was not able to power out of corners. I had to let the car point near the direction I wanted to before I could apply a nice chunk of throttle. Having the rear diff restacked helped the most(for throttling out of corners). I can't comment on your 12 weir plates since I have never ran 12 plates. I do have tre max lock but is in break in mode right now so we'll see how it does at the next autox event. But at a special event ( alot more relaxed) I was cone boy so there was no workers on course. So I drove my car out on the course picking up cones and I did do a few 180's and when in first gear, it was easy for the rear to kick out. When I did a couple 180's in 2nd gear, all my front grip was getting used up as I was turning around and when I applied a nice chunk of throttle, it just pushed. So I know for my car my inner rear tire was lifting, I'm not 100% sure what happens to the rear diff when a tire is lifted and you're applying throttle.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
I'd expect the LSD to loosen up slightly after break-in. If it's still too much, you could try adding some Red Line 80301 friction modifier to the fluid.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Construct
I'd expect the LSD to loosen up slightly after break-in. If it's still too much, you could try adding some Red Line 80301 friction modifier to the fluid.
It has noticeably eased up after a couple hundred miles for sure. No more parking lot clicks.

But I'm still worried the slide plates are swapped and so the lock up is minimal on accel. Because it seemed very locked on decel only at the last event. Unfortunately, I cant reproduce it on the street so I'll have to wait until the next event or open up the diff again to verify. leaning toward the later.