Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Brembo BBK 4 piston or 6 piston

Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Brembo BBK 4 piston or 6 piston

Does anyone have experience with the 6 piston Brembo GT-S kit (355x32) or the 4 piston race kit (328x35)?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Links? The CP8350 AP kit is the same as the 4 piston size you mention, their new radiCal is a bit bigger then the 6 you list.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 02:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
Links? The CP8350 AP kit is the same as the 4 piston size you mention, their new radiCal is a bit bigger then the 6 you list.

this is the 6 piston kit:

https://www.racetechnologies.com/pro...a?vehicle=9361

and this is the 4 piston:

i was told that AP isn’t coming out with the 6 piston kit anymore due to low demand.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
That's weird. I wonder why the 4 piston is used for racing when it's not monobloc. It must be a lighter caliper.

I would go with the 6 piston monobloc as there is a negligible price difference.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by deylag
That's weird. I wonder why the 4 piston is used for racing when it's not monobloc. It must be a lighter caliper.

I would go with the 6 piston monobloc as there is a negligible price difference.
I spoke to a rep at race technologies and if I’m not mistaken, it’s because you don’t have to pull the caliper off to change the pads on the “race” 4 piston caliper, but I may have misheard him.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by l888apex

this is the 6 piston kit:

and this is the 4 piston:

i was told that AP isn’t coming out with the 6 piston kit anymore due to low demand.
Those are some of their old designs, not even the new m4/m6 stuff, some misinformation on several fronts. Firstly Essexparts.com for the AP kits. They are the usa branch and there's several really long threads in this section on them. They have the 4 piston one that fits 17's that I and several others are using with much success. However now they have the new hotness RadiCal which is 6 pistons but naturally requires 18's and there are some significant upgrades as well as compared to "off the shelf" stuff. 8 or X.

You also made two excellent points which would shy me away from these kits. You DEFIANTLY want the stiffest caliper possible, meaning monobloc or the new next gen bolted designs. And you defiantly don't want to have to take the bloody thing off to change pads if you can help it. There are many other little details that I see where AP did it better when I compare them including they're around the same price when you talk the larger disk systems. I wouldn't look at anything less then the m4's if I were looking at brembo, no point unless they went on super sale.

Remember it's not about how many pistons you have, literally
Old Oct 10, 2018, 02:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
Those are some of their old designs, not even the new m4/m6 stuff, some misinformation on several fronts. Firstly Essexparts.com for the AP kits. They are the usa branch and there's several really long threads in this section on them. They have the 4 piston one that fits 17's that I and several others are using with much success. However now they have the new hotness RadiCal which is 6 pistons but naturally requires 18's and there are some significant upgrades as well as compared to "off the shelf" stuff. 8 or X.

You also made two excellent points which would shy me away from these kits. You DEFIANTLY want the stiffest caliper possible, meaning monobloc or the new next gen bolted designs. And you defiantly don't want to have to take the bloody thing off to change pads if you can help it. There are many other little details that I see where AP did it better when I compare them including they're around the same price when you talk the larger disk systems. I wouldn't look at anything less then the m4's if I were looking at brembo, no point unless they went on super sale.

Remember it's not about how many pistons you have, literally
The 6 piston GT-S kit I posted above appears to be Brembos newest M4/M6 caliper design. I was looking at Essex brakes website a couple months ago and did not see the 6 piston kit until I looked today. How much better is the 4 piston kit over the factory brembo set up? I can’t justify buying the 4 piston AP kit if it’s slightly better, but I can justify it if it’s significantly better.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 06:31 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Sub'd.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag

actually it depends on the racing application.
The brembo racing rally kit (GrN) is another 4 piston caliper that is monobloc and has an integrated bridge, so it is caliper off for pad change. The upshot is a stiffer and lighter caliper that is also lower profile, so manages to fit 355 mm discs into 17 inch wheels.. if nedeed..

The following users liked this post:
deylag (Oct 13, 2018)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 01:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 722 Likes on 566 Posts
What are peoples thoughts on the CTS-V or ZR1 calipers compared to these available kits? I know the price is great on them, wondering if adapting to Evo would be worth it?

Other thought I need to look into, how are people balancing the brakes after change piston diameters?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 02:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 572 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
What are peoples thoughts on the CTS-V or ZR1 calipers compared to these available kits? I know the price is great on them, wondering if adapting to Evo would be worth it?

Other thought I need to look into, how are people balancing the brakes after change piston diameters?
I assume you're talking about the 6 pot calipers? Last I saw they not exactly cheap (compared to the 4 pots).

Most of the time piston size changes have to be pretty big to require a balance but the quick and easy way to balance them is with different compounds F/R.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 02:09 PM
EvoM Guru

ZR1 might be pretty spendy but I think the CTS-V is reasonable and they're a pretty big caliper. Does it give the track guys anything to make them work?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 07:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 572 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
ZR1 might be pretty spendy but I think the CTS-V is reasonable and they're a pretty big caliper. Does it give the track guys anything to make them work?
Which gen CTS are you talking about? The first gen wouldn't really be an improvement over stock other than the fact they're absurdly cheap. The second gen would probably be an improvement but I need to go back and see how much they cost. Definitely cheaper than a BBK but I remember them being fairly more spendy than the first gen calipers.

Edit: Looks like the vette calipers are actually pretty cheap. The second gen V calipers not so much.

Vette: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-2571-Original-Equipment-Caliper/dp/B007QBJPG6

Second gen V: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-2522-Original-Equipment-Passenger/dp/B0055AT7VS

Vette calipers even cheaper here jeez: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...liper-22799628

Last edited by Ayoustin; Oct 12, 2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 09:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
You weren't joking. Those Vette calipers really are cheap. Has anyone checked if the mounting bits are even close to lining up without a lot of adapter work?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Austin and I, along with another customer, may be going through the paces to see if there's a route to making CTS-V 2peice calipers work with 6piston CTS-V or C6 Z06 calipers with just a custom hat matched to a special set of uprights. If I can make them with multiple hole sets for both options, even better!

Search this Thread