Breaking in new parts - Page 2 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Breaking in new parts

Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:28 AM
kaj
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX View Post
Cali Freeways are parking lots most times, would be ideal for you. I do think it will be a long time for you to rack up those miles though. Don't you have some good canyon or motorcycle routes you can look up?
i could hit up rush hour or construction zones LOL. Now that you mention it: I could always take a drive on one of our local mountain roads. They are fairly low speed limit, not too far away, and lead to some REALLY good diners.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 02:13 PM
EvoM Moderator

+1 for street driving
Old Dec 21, 2018, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Well street driving a caged no plated car isn't an option for most of us. As Jon has said before, do 2 (ideally 4) Open passing hpde style track days driving 4-5 tenths rowing SMOOTHLY through the gears, change all fluids between the weekends and don't forget to top off things and you'll be fine. When we hardly drive it it usually also means we hardly drive stick so it's also good to break Yourself in then too before you compete the following weekend.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

we had a local rally team that engineered their own gearbox, for lancia delta integrale platform.... they used to just attach the box to a lathe and spin it with no load for an hour.. that was enough for them..

you could also book an hour on a dyno, and just run the car trough gears at moderate load.. that will break everything in... This is the best method to break in the engine too..

Bear in mind that stock cars are usually broken in at the factory in the first few km.. And I am not making this up, I head this from an engineer from Aston Martin.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 02:45 PM
EvoM Moderator

parking lot circle 8's?

according to osg, no break-in is needed, just a quick flush at 500mi. or my cusco, which is already broken in and no longer showing any wear on flushes..
Old Dec 21, 2018, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

plate diffs usually require parking lot figure 8's, that is what drifters swear to..
Old Dec 22, 2018, 03:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
plate diffs usually require parking lot figure 8's, that is what drifters swear to..
The clutch packs don't need broken in. The shot peened ring and pinion needs broken. Figure 8's don't really help that.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

ok any driving will help that..
Old Dec 22, 2018, 09:34 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kikiturbo View Post
ok any driving will help that..
My break-in procedure is 3 clockwise donuts & then 3 counter clockwise donuts & then spin all 4 for 20ft (repeat 3 times in no less than 10 minutes)

All joking aside, yeah it seems a lot of rear diff break-in procedures suggest the figure 8 method but TRE has a diff procedure
Heres a member who had a SHEP rebuild & noted that Shep suggested the fig 8 method
If you haven't done this yet you should, it actually has fixed some of the built in understeer these cars have, the more I drove it the more benifits ive seen, one is it drives more like a rear drive car and two off the line traction has greatly improved. Takes just under an hour with hand tools to swap the diff out on a lift, be sure to use a trans jack to support the front. Another install note is be sure to run factory Diaqueen LSD fluid, the dif will chatter for a few miles on tight turns, Shep suggested to do some figure eights in a parking lot to break in the clutch's, I now have zero noise in any situation.

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Dec 22, 2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:23 AM
kaj
Evolved Member

I just did a couple u-turns. Zero noise. Quiet as a mouse. I was really surprised.
the difference in preload between when I pulled it out and now is laughable. Not surprised, of course, considering... but I did smile.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 08:37 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by kaj View Post
I just did a couple u-turns. Zero noise. Quiet as a mouse. I was really surprised.
the difference in preload between when I pulled it out and now is laughable. Not surprised, of course, considering... but I did smile.
what was the difference
Old Dec 24, 2018, 09:30 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo View Post
what was the difference
​​​​​​ started at absolutely zero

Update: there is still a whine while driving. It's normal ,so not worried.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

did you use new diff mounts? stiffer ones? or solid even?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:52 AM
kaj
Evolved Member

did you use new diff mounts? stiffer ones? or solid even?
They are poly. No wear on them ,so reused.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

I have a tre rear diff as well. Little over 1000 miles. I did notice some more whining especially when car is slowing down from 40mph(foot off accelerator)when gears are still engaged(and some when not in gear but still there), especially 4th gear. Its had the same whining noise since the first mile. Also no noise from the max lock when using diaqueen.

I use to get a clunk noise from when reversing to back out of a parking lot and that's gone now.

Last edited by CaptainSquirts; Dec 25, 2018 at 11:00 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.