Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Typical hpde questions (2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I've HPDE'd and DDed the various versions of the DS2500 for about 10 years now. It all depends on how you drive on the track and of course the track itself but ideally once you have about 70% pad life going into an HPDE you should be ok to drive home once you aren't trying to win the HPDE . They are noisy on the street but compared to some of the more dedicated track pads they are about the best entry level compromise you are going to get. When I was getting about 3 track days a season with about 5-6 sessions each I'd go through a set in about 1.5 seasons including mild street duty (less than 3000miles a year) the last couple of seasons. If you are pushing harder or plan to go on above HPDE then you can switch out to something else IMO

For the undertray, the beatrush won't fit with some of the aftermarket pans (like the moroso) which sit lower than OEM and if you run the Mitsubishi brake air guides you'll need to cut it on each side to ensure airflow continues to make it to those guides. Other than that, it's a quality piece which I haven't been able to run due to having a moroso pan.....
Old May 10, 2019, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
How do you guys feel about the ebc track pads?
I swap pads before track days so the only things that matter to me are effectiveness and overall cost of consumables.
Old May 10, 2019, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Green or Red stuff tend to warp rotors on multiple platforms, not a lot of positive comments that I've heard.
Old May 10, 2019, 09:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Green and red are street only pads. Red could be used for ax but def not track use. Yellows will fall off pretty fast on track if you're not careful. I've seen a handful run orange and blue pads but they're nothing to write home about.
Old May 10, 2019, 09:15 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Turtletron
How do you guys feel about the ebc track pads?
I swap pads before track days so the only things that matter to me are effectiveness and overall cost of consumables.
Not a fan.
To be fair, I've only used heavier-duty pads, such as Hawk DTC and Raybestos ST43. EBC doesn't make anything that holds up as well for that type of use, IMO.
Old May 23, 2019, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Another pad question: Are non ABS guys going with a different pad?
I have a RS (300whp; 275/35/18 nexen sur4) and it seems like avoiding the high initial bite pads would be a little safer for avoiding a flat spot scenario but I'd of course prefer to not have to worry about any fade whatsoever.
ST-43 front and something else rear? Would XP10 front XP 8 rear hold up?
Old May 23, 2019, 06:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I have a RS (300whp; 275/35/18 nexen sur4) and it seems like avoiding the high initial bite pads would be a little safer for avoiding a flat spot scenario but I'd of course prefer to not have to worry about any fade whatsoever.
@Turtletron

Yeah, The CT XP10's / XP8's were my set-up at Fontana. They worked well on the RS.

Super squeak when cold but bites hard & no squeak when at op temp. Many pull downs from 120+ to 40mph w/no lock ups & never flat spotted (Nitto NT01's helped for sure)
Old May 23, 2019, 07:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Initial bite won't be enough to lock tires up on track. Either of the pad combos you've listed will work well.
Old May 24, 2019, 03:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I have an RS and have never had an issue with flat spotting. Part of braking technique is being smooth with the onset of braking. One of my earliest instructors told me he didn’t want to be able to tell the exact moment I initiated braking. I like DTC-60s and 70s because I never worry about fade and you don’t have to lean hard on the pedal to get a lot of braking power.