Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Typical hpde questions (2019)

 
Old May 8, 2019, 10:54 AM
  #1  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
ProPilot04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Holding over the VOR
Posts: 1,263
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Typical hpde questions (2019)

So squad... Here's where I'm at.

I've had the car (9mr at 305whp) off the road for 4 years. As it was setup it was on star specs (stock size) and dba5000/4000 rotors with the ferodo2500s. There was a lot of good chatter about those pads when I grabbed them but as I'm staring down the barrel of an hpde at vir I'm wondering if those pads are going to be useless or not.

I know the brake thread has great info in it. But one thing I really want to ask is... Will running those ferodos be fine or am I gonna end up ducking out early because I thrashed something.

I only have the stock cooling fins. And I do have a beatrush undertray, but the consensus seems to be that that's no good for brakes...

Should I really grab a set of xp10s or raysbestos st43s? If it's a situation where I'm not going to be able to drive home on the ferodos after the weekend, I suppose a set of track pads is worth it?

Someone talk me into or out of something.
ProPilot04 is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 12:26 PM
  #2  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 12,526
Received 755 Likes on 708 Posts
It depends on you driving skill level and how fast you are. Novice drivers tend to do ok with "regular" brakes their first couple times out. Especially since you're on stock size tires.

But an upgrade to ST43's certainly won't hurt.
letsgetthisdone is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 12:34 PM
  #3  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
ProPilot04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Holding over the VOR
Posts: 1,263
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
It depends on you driving skill level and how fast you are. Novice drivers tend to do ok with "regular" brakes their first couple times out. Especially since you're on stock size tires.

But an upgrade to ST43's certainly won't hurt.
I'm a perfectly fast sim driver but have no delusions about real life skills. My seat time exists, but it's limited. I'll be in novice class. I'm fine running my ferodos if they'll stand up to the temps and allow me to drive home (1.5hrs) without dying lol.

But realistically, if I'm going to cook them and/or use up a significant portion of their life, and then just need to buy another set of street pads... Why not go to track pads? Oh right. Money.

So I suppose my real question is, will going to a track pad actually just save me money in the long run?
ProPilot04 is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 12:54 PM
  #4  
Evolved Member
 
ayoustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,536
Received 143 Likes on 123 Posts
It's not about saving money, it's about being safe. I've seen as many novices who don't use the brakes as much as ones who use them too much.

I've seen some guys love the 2500s and others say they're inadequate. If you don't have previous track experience on those pads I would spring for a more serious pad especially considering the track you'll be at.

And anyway, if it were about saving money, you'll make that money back spent on pads when you don't end up in a sandtrap or wall.
ayoustin is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 01:12 PM
  #5  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
MinusPrevious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Billings MT
Posts: 6,036
Received 856 Likes on 817 Posts
Im a former Carbotech user. Ran the 10's up front & the 9's in the rear IIRC

They have a definite cold squeak as any track pad would. Once up to op temp, they are quiet but its like tossing
out the anchor. Amazing brake for any HPDE

I use to pull my StopTech street pads out just before an event & drop in the CT's. Would drive to the track w/them already loaded
MinusPrevious is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 01:26 PM
  #6  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Construct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 874
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
You don't have to, or want to, go 9/10 or 10/10 at an HPDE. DS2500 will probably be fine, but be prepared to back off for a cool-down lap as soon as you notice any signs of brake fade.

I would, however, put some fresh brake fluid in before the HPDE. Older fluid will not perform as well as new fluid.
Construct is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 01:29 PM
  #7  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
ProPilot04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Holding over the VOR
Posts: 1,263
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh yeah... don't mix my words up on me now. Safety is paramount which is actually why I'm asking this question. Also why I run with a 2.5lb Halon extinguisher etc...

I suppose rather than asking the age old question of... TELL ME THE BEST STREET/TRACK PAD lol ... what I really want to know is... if novice driver runs DS2500s on track, and I fade them, I can bow out early... but at that point, they're probably used up pretty good and I'd need new pads anyway.

I looked into the XP10/8 combo, but the Raysbestos pads are basically the same price and seem pretty well loved. Aside from being a play on asbestos, how bad could it be?

You guys think it's ok to drive to and from on some track pads, or you think swap them there?
ProPilot04 is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 01:30 PM
  #8  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
ProPilot04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Holding over the VOR
Posts: 1,263
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct View Post
You don't have to, or want to, go 9/10 or 10/10 at an HPDE. DS2500 will probably be fine, but be prepared to back off for a cool-down lap as soon as you notice any signs of brake fade.

I would, however, put some fresh brake fluid in before the HPDE. Older fluid will not perform as well as new fluid.
Yeah I'm flushing in the RBF 660 this weekend.
ProPilot04 is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 02:13 PM
  #9  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Construct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 874
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04 View Post
I suppose rather than asking the age old question of... TELL ME THE BEST STREET/TRACK PAD lol ... what I really want to know is... if novice driver runs DS2500s on track, and I fade them, I can bow out early... but at that point, they're probably used up pretty good and I'd need new pads anyway.
It might help to review the DS2500 coefficient of friction chart: https://www.ferodoracing.com/product...e-pads/ds2500/

The DS2500 friction declines as temperature increases. If you're the type of of person who can sense minor changes in braking, you can actually feel this as it happens. I don't think the pads will necessarily wear unreasonably fast unless you push past the upper temperature limit and try to compensate with more pedal pressure, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by ProPilot04 View Post
You guys think it's ok to drive to and from on some track pads, or you think swap them there?
I drive to and from on ST43 track pads. It's not a problem. The brakes do require a bit more pressure when they're cold, but it's not like I'd be unable to stop.

The only real problem is the noise. Track pads can be unreasonably noisy on the street. The ST43 are downright embarrassing when I pull up to a stop light. Everyone at the intersection turns to look at the guy with the bad brakes.
Construct is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 02:42 PM
  #10  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 10,592
Received 324 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post
I use to pull my StopTech street pads out just before an event & drop in the CT's. Would drive to the track w/them already loaded
Did you have to burnish the Carbotechs or did they work right away?

Originally Posted by Construct View Post
You don't have to, or want to, go 9/10 or 10/10 at an HPDE. DS2500 will probably be fine, but be prepared to back off for a cool-down lap as soon as you notice any signs of brake fade.

I would, however, put some fresh brake fluid in before the HPDE. Older fluid will not perform as well as new fluid.
+1. Nothing wrong with a few spirited lap then taking one or two to cool down an bit. No need to go all-out for the whole session, every session. You'll still get plenty of seat time.

Originally Posted by ProPilot04 View Post
I looked into the XP10/8 combo, but the Raysbestos pads are basically the same price

You guys think it's ok to drive to and from on some track pads, or you think swap them there?
If you can find Carbotech for the same price as ST43, definitely go with the Carbotech. I haven't found a pad that works better. I always swap pads at home, get them burnished in, then drive to the track with them. Swapping/burnishing at the track is a lot less fun.

Originally Posted by Construct View Post
The only real problem is the noise. Track pads can be unreasonably noisy on the street. The ST43 are downright embarrassing when I pull up to a stop light. Everyone at the intersection turns to look at the guy with the bad brakes.
My GF pretty much refuses to ride in the car with the ST43s in.
kaj is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 02:47 PM
  #11  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (26)
 
terror rising's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 718
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct View Post
I drive to and from on ST43 track pads. It's not a problem. The brakes do require a bit more pressure when they're cold, but it's not like I'd be unable to stop.

The only real problem is the noise. Track pads can be unreasonably noisy on the street. The ST43 are downright embarrassing when I pull up to a stop light. Everyone at the intersection turns to look at the guy with the bad brakes.
After installing and bedding ST43s they haven't come out of the car. Weekend cruise, auto-x, or HDPE that's what's loaded. My decel rattle lets the people know I'm decelerating for the stoplight and the ST43s let em know when I actually need to apply brakes.
terror rising is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 02:53 PM
  #12  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Construct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 874
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj View Post
My GF pretty much refuses to ride in the car with the ST43s in.
I barely want to be in the car with the ST43s on the street. Great on the track. Miserable everywhere else.

Originally Posted by terror rising View Post
After installing and bedding ST43s they haven't come out of the car. Weekend cruise, auto-x, or HDPE that's what's loaded. My decel rattle lets the people know I'm decelerating for the stoplight and the ST43s let em know when I actually need to apply brakes.
I coast up to stop lights and then quickly brake at 70-80% to minimize the time spent squealing.

Last time I swapped back to DS2500s, the Ferrodos started squealing lightly as well, even though I swap rotors at the same time. Maybe the squeal is contagious.
Construct is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 03:07 PM
  #13  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Dallas J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 3,876
Received 182 Likes on 146 Posts
Its just a track day, no one wins a track day. Dont try to go out and kill it so hard you're cooking DS2500s.

Ease into it, work your way up to some quick 9/10s laps. If you feel you're over heating the brakes then ease off things to 6-7/10s.

At this point you're probably not capable of running 10/10s without being 11,12, or worse/10s and depending on the place on track it may not tolerate that.

Most important part of an HDPE, drive the car home in one piece.
Dallas J is online now  
Old May 8, 2019, 03:30 PM
  #14  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 10,592
Received 324 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct View Post
I barely want to be in the car with the ST43s on the street. Great on the track. Miserable everywhere else.
Yeah.. I tried to leave them on.. but wasn't happening. Also, I couldn't get them to work as well after DDing them. It looked like the pads were glazing a bit? I sanded them and the rotors down, then did the burnishing procedure again. Now they work awesome again.
kaj is offline  
Old May 8, 2019, 04:09 PM
  #15  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
MinusPrevious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Billings MT
Posts: 6,036
Received 856 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj View Post
Did you have to burnish the Carbotechs or did they work right away?

Im no expert, but i always do a "bed-in" procedure. I followed the CT written process
MinusPrevious is offline  
The following users liked this post:
kaj (May 8, 2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.