Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Who Wants Some PROPER AFFORDABLE Track Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know you are in the company of a now-relatively-smaller-group of Evo racers when the thread goes from "Who's interested in this type of wheel?" to a discussion on the effects of lower offset on wheel bearings to track lug nut material and torque specs in one page. I am soaking it all up with my rusty Evo-brain after years away from racing or even driving my Evo.

Consider me interested. I am finally making plans to get my Evo put back together. I am not opposed to running wide fenders (front is easier obviously) but if I can avoid cutting up the rear by means of bolt-on mods, that would be great.

Yes, they need to be: strong, relatively lightweight, relatively affordable and awesome looking. In that order.

Thanks Ayoustin.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 03:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiruu
You know you are in the company of a now-relatively-smaller-group of Evo racers when the thread goes from "Who's interested in this type of wheel?" to a discussion on the effects of lower offset on wheel bearings to track lug nut material and torque specs in one page. I am soaking it all up with my rusty Evo-brain after years away from racing or even driving my Evo.

Consider me interested. I am finally making plans to get my Evo put back together. I am not opposed to running wide fenders (front is easier obviously) but if I can avoid cutting up the rear by means of bolt-on mods, that would be great.

Yes, they need to be: strong, relatively lightweight, relatively affordable and awesome looking. In that order.

Thanks Ayoustin.
Konig makes great wheels. Whatever is come up with will certainly fit that bill.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Any rumors or progress?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Any rumors or progress?
I have not had the time to follow up. My days lately have been filled with getting my car back together and trying to tie the knot on the front splitter stuff. Feel free to reach out to them to show that there is interest.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
What size and offset are you running?

I've had my eyes on the 10.5" +35 for a while. If I ever step up to 10.5", that's probably what I'll end up with.
18x10 +22 on Evo X
Old Sep 7, 2019, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Was this custom wheel offset going to made using Konig Hypergram wheel?

If you compare it to a 17x9 +35 then 18x11+35 will be an inch bigger outboard and an inch bigger inboard. Is having a widebody Evo going to be the prerequisite to running 18x11+35?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
I love this thread. Can’t remember what you are ordering as a group, but I’m in. LOL!!! I have 18x10 +38 PF1s 295/30 for street and 17x10 +38 PF1s 295/35 R7’s for track. I use front spacers with longer studs.

I lost a rim at Texas World Speedway decades ago off my C5 Z06. Running CCW down the main straight, I turned left down off the apron at 130ish. After a few infield turns, the right rim exploded off the car. I lifted and the wheel accelerated ahead of me. Left turn coming up....I dipped the right front rotor over the right edge of track and made the left turn without using the brakes. The rotor and caliper gliding nicely on the grass. Swapped my street rims with a new set of Hoosiers at the track and continued. All the lugs and center cap were still bolted to hub. The rim cracked all 5 C5 spokes. Everyone said cheap Chevy. But it was really the Powdercoating heating process that weakened the wheel. This was back about 20 years ago.

I need a quick lesson how to get wider rims to fit. Currently run 10” width. I shaved my LCA’s and barely rub my coil springs in rear. How in the heck are you getting anything more under stock width body? I know Andy hammered a few hard spots.

12” Austin? Really? ��
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Building a new motor and buying shop space has taken priority for me vs pursuing more wheel and tire. Eventually I'll get back around to fitting 11" wheels on the stock body but it more than likely won't happen in the next year.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 08:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Driv200
I love this thread. Can’t remember what you are ordering as a group, but I’m in. LOL!!! I have 18x10 +38 PF1s 295/30 for street and 17x10 +38 PF1s 295/35 R7’s for track. I use front spacers with longer studs.
What's your brake and brake cooling setup for those 17x10 RPF-1s? I'm already pushing my OEM brakes too far on stock turbo and motor. I can't imagine how much abuse your brakes are taking with the amount of power you're making.

Originally Posted by Driv200
I need a quick lesson how to get wider rims to fit. Currently run 10” width. I shaved my LCA’s and barely rub my coil springs in rear. How in the heck are you getting anything more under stock width body? I know Andy hammered a few hard spots.
I'm curious too. Fitting my 18x10s felt like threading the needle between fender lip and trailing arm. How much more inboard clearance do we get with aftermarket trailing arms before we have to start hammering on the body?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:21 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
my 18x10.5 PF01s barely, and I mean barely fit the car, with 20mm spacers up front and Dallas' trailing arms in the rear.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
I’m on AP racing 8350 stock size replacements. I turn down my boost to 500hp tune on track. They are okay. The better I get (20yrs), the less I use my brakes. Tight tracks light them up and I have to go through all the things you do....double tap....brake early to make sure they are still there. You know the drill. I need six pots that don’t kill the rotating mass formula. Like the upgraded AP Series stuff. But, Im not competing as much and plan to invest in new turbo tech for now.

My fronts at -3 camber and tears at -2.7 I think. I am slightly rubbing my springs up front and the front tub area of both front and rear. Not a fingernails width between my rear tire and LCA. I need someone’s custom LCA ASAP!

Old Oct 9, 2019, 08:49 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
There are quite a bit of threads for @Dallas J 's LCAs. Just pick up a set from him. They give PLENTY of room and are super sexy to boot. I love mine.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 725 Likes on 567 Posts
When it comes to Evo 8/9 I have the whole thing except rear upper control arm done. Not going to do anything with the rear upper though, its a fine piece as it is and no one wants to spend a grand on something that has no measurable improvement.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Driv200

What 295/30x18 street tires do you run on the PF01 18x10.5?

Any pics fitted? To see how they fit in the rear.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
When it comes to Evo 8/9 I have the whole thing except rear upper control arm done. Not going to do anything with the rear upper though, its a fine piece as it is and no one wants to spend a grand on something that has no measurable improvement.
As in going faster improvement ya not likely, but they have been known to break at that bracket part with the two bolts up top. So for me it's more reliability then speed to replace it with something stronger, maybe even lighter.