Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AIM Solo vs Solo DL on Evo8

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 01:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I'd go AEM over Link any day. Haltec pro2500 is also a good option.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 07:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I'd go AEM over Link any day. Haltec pro2500 is also a good option.
Meh, based on all the second hand experience I have, I've noticed that Link has the best custom service by far and almost all of their products are directly compatible with Aim stuff with little or no hassle.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 01:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I’m sure I’m going to reveal my ignorance here, but since I have electric senders for my aftermarket coolant temp, oil temp and oil pressure gauges, could I just tap those wires if I went with something like the Race Tech DL1? I also have an SD conversion, so also my GM AIT and 3.5 bar Kavlico MAP sensor? And maybe my Zeitronix WBO2 too?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 02:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Meh, based on all the second hand experience I have, I've noticed that Link has the best custom service by far and almost all of their products are directly compatible with Aim stuff with little or no hassle.
Not sure why you'd want an ECU that can't really do full time closed loop AFR, and when it is in closed loop, it's slow... q

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Sep 20, 2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 03:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I’m sure I’m going to reveal my ignorance here, but since I have electric senders for my aftermarket coolant temp, oil temp and oil pressure gauges, could I just tap those wires if I went with something like the Race Tech DL1? I also have an SD conversion, so also my GM AIT and 3.5 bar Kavlico MAP sensor? And maybe my Zeitronix WBO2 too?
If it has 0-5v inputs, then yes.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 03:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Right. The only grunt work you have to do after that is assign corresponding numerical values for each measurement of voltage inside the data logger software. Otherwise it can't know that 2.33v from a map sensor means 10 psi (example only, not correct value).
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Exactly. You take the 5v wire, usually not red or black but white or blue or something, and put it into the DL-1 Analog tap. Then you simply need the formula for volts to Fahrenheit/PSI which is different for every sensor but it's usually on the sensor manufacture site or datasheets. Like zeitronix has: http://www.zeitronix.com/installation/mapinstallation.shtml.

It also has a formula builder in linear or other graphing methods. If 0v equals 1psi and 5v equals 100psi then it'll build the calculation for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Balrok:
codgi (Sep 21, 2019), Pal215 (Sep 25, 2019)
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

After doing all the research, I opted to get a used AIM Solo for now and keep a lookout for a good deal on a VBox video set-up. I really like the demos of the Circuit Tools software, but will play around with the AIM software for now without linked video. It’s crazy how expensive the dedicated motorsports camera setups are relative to the image quality. I get that that’s not the point, but still...
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:44 AM
EvoM Guru

After doing all the research, I opted to get a used AIM Solo for now and keep a lookout for a good deal on a VBox video set-up. I really like the demos of the Circuit Tools software, but will play around with the AIM software for now without linked video. It’s crazy how expensive the dedicated motorsports camera setups are relative to the image quality. I get that that’s not the point, but still...
Have you looked at RaceCapture yet? I use it on my 10, where it is a ton better because of CAN but you can still use it on normal non CAN with gopro integration as well.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

A lot of programs are integrating/using the newer GoPro's that have GPS enabled to do after-analysis much like the big box programs do for way cheaper too. My buddy is using harry's for live timing and then RT's gopro analysis (but there are many others). Basically the same functions on a budget.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
A lot of programs are integrating/using the newer GoPro's that have GPS enabled to do after-analysis much like the big box programs do for way cheaper too. My buddy is using harry's for live timing and then RT's gopro analysis (but there are many others). Basically the same functions on a budget.
For reference, I used RaceRender to combine my RaceCapture date + my GoPro footage:

Old Sep 30, 2019, 01:41 PM
EvoM Guru

I’ve been using HLT with GoPro and external GPS for a couple years, but the wifi and bluetooth connections (not to mention batteries) are not 100% reliable for me, and it can be stressful messing with the devices after getting strapped in if they aren’t cooperating. I really want a system that is more foolproof and also would like to be able to do lap to lap comparisons with video linked to GPS data in near realtime. For just processing video for YouTube, RaceRender or similar is fine, but that’s not really ideal for analyzing laps and finding time while you are at the track between sessions.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

I’ve been using HLT with GoPro and external GPS for a couple years, but the wifi and bluetooth connections (not to mention batteries) are not 100% reliable for me, and it can be stressful messing with the devices after getting strapped in if they aren’t cooperating. I really want a system that is more foolproof and also would like to be able to do lap to lap comparisons with video linked to GPS data in near realtime. For just processing video for YouTube, RaceRender or similar is fine, but that’s not really ideal for analyzing laps and finding time while you are at the track between sessions.
Yea, I don't blame you. RaceRender was a pain in the *** to use.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Agreed, Render is great at making videos quickly and easily but it lacks that review component. I made my Roebling video with it last.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
This has been on my mind a lot lately and I'm in the same boat. I want to make things simple and streamlined for data and video stuff. I'm trying to make it a project for this winter to move to a standalone and get a Solo 2 DL. The Aim stuff can pull a good chunk of CAN data from every popular standalone option and having all of that data integrated with the telemetry should give quick feedback and lap review.

Quick Reply: AIM Solo vs Solo DL on Evo8