Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Advice FP 54 Green BB turbo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Running only 93 octane you won't be marking 500+ with either turbo. A track safe tune on 93 will be in low 400whp range with the red.

And it won't be laggy. If you need boost/torque below 4k rpm on a road course, you're in the wrong gear...

I tracked my Evo8 with a red for 3yrs, it was awesome, due to not having Mivec, it didn't have full boost until around 4400rpm. It was still fine. With Mivec it will spool much closer to 4k. And everything will happier due to less back pressure thanks to the larger turbine, larger compressor, and lower wastegate duty cycle to run the same boost.
Sean is correct.

The red is well sized for a mivec 2.0 . The 71hta is a great bang for the buck but beyond that unless you are doing auto x I would step into the red. Its responsive, makes a broad powerband and leaves room to grow.

Here is one of the video's that steered me into the red since I was going with a stroker at some point. Nils dominated his class for years with that combination. Warning, filmed with a potato

This is my stock engine/cams mhi red on E85 around 25psi 450whp at Sebring. I left the boost soft and drove 5/10ths since I wanted to get more track time . This turbo is totally acceptable for road course action IMO

Last edited by Abacus; Oct 11, 2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my stock engine/cams mhi red on E85 around 25psi 450whp at Sebring. I left the boost soft and drove 5/10ths since I wanted to get more track time . This turbo is totally acceptable for road course action IMO
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm sold on the FP red, going to get some more money together real quick and make the order in a few, it's going to be my winter build.

Thanks for the advice, also I see you didn't have a spoiler at that track event could have helped out putting some downforce in the rear and keeping the car more stable, great driving by the way, that FP red pulls hard specially after the 4k rpm range.

Before my last track event with the Kognition design spoiler.