Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Do we have fix it tickets in WA? (front license plate ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2008, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do we have fix it tickets in WA? (front license plate ticket)

So no, it wasn't my car that got it. It was my girls, which honestly is just sad. Whomever this cop was must have had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING better to be doing.

She got pulled over in a residential area on the way to her work (veterans hospital) in her 2001 4 door completely stock boring silver point a to point b accord. Yes, I know that's the largest run on sentence in the history of man, but I'm making a point...

So since I'm from Cali, we had fix it tickets. Take the car in with the fix and they'll write off the ticket. Just have to pay 10 bucks in processing.

Being that my girl really doesn't care about "style" on her car, and just didn't realize (it used to be her dads) it didn't have a front license plate, I'm hoping she doesn't have to pay for this ticket. If we can just toss it on, and take it in to get the ticket removed I'm all about it.

Old Mar 17, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

yea there's a fixing ticket... u just have to go and contest it and the judge well ask if the front plate is put back on and if you say yes... all they do is just drop some of the fine... not a whole lot... i've done it for my front plate being too low and the car being low... no biggy...
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

tell them the car never had one. The RCW states specifically that if the car did not have one or can not be fixed on the front of the car you do not need it.

Good luck
Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Interesting. I'll have to read up on that.

Watch out in Auburn for sure, the cops def don't have anything better to do besides beat it to the radar gun and pull people over for modified exhaust and no front plate. Booo!

** kind of off topic but I did read up on the law. It specifically says "In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol."
Here's the link I read that from - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.16.240

Last edited by boostedwrx; Mar 18, 2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

better yet call and report the front plate stolen.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

most cops will give you a fix it ticket if you give them an excuse. Then mount one take a pic and have an officer sign the ticket and you should be good.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
^ Interesting. I'll have to read up on that.

Watch out in Auburn for sure, the cops def don't have anything better to do besides beat it to the radar gun and pull people over for modified exhaust and no front plate. Booo!

** kind of off topic but I did read up on the law. It specifically says "In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol."
Here's the link I read that from - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.16.240
The thing is, it depends on how the judge reads the laws. It is not impossible if other cars of the same make and model have them mounted. I think you will be better of saying you fixed the issue and perhaps, if you just recently moved here, you were unaware of the law, of course if you have WA plates, on the registration paper it says right on there that a front plate must be installed. So if you have WA plates on it, i would definately just go the "i fixed it route"
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:39 AM

Unfortunately it's not so simple as not ever having one.

Unless your car doesn't come with the ability to mount a license plate (and no, bumper drilling does not make one exempt) you must have a front plate.

Just do what haze said and you should be fine.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont think i will ever put one on my evo
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mistaken
I dont think i will ever put one on my evo
Me neither.... I think the only car in Washington State that does not need a front plate is a DeLorean. DeLorean owners have WA State certificates that say that there was no factory front plate, and since the vehicle is a 'collector' car, mounting one is not necessary.

Mounting a front plate on a car, in the cops eyes is 2 sheetmetal screws thru the bumper. If I get a front plate ticket in the Evo, I'm going to try to explain to the judge that the Evo IX is no longer in production, and can be considered iconic in the Japanese supercar world and that it's very possible it will be a collector's vehicle in a few years. Hopefully I'll get the right judge. I had a similar incident in my GTi with a European front plate. Luckily, I got a cool judge (Puyallup) who had a grudge with the police officer that gave me the ticket. (Ever had the judge act as your lawyer against the cop that came in on their day off to make the ticket stick? lol was a good day in court for me)
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lol i didnt know that about the DeLoreans.

I'd probably just pay the fine and go on with my days...
Old Mar 19, 2008, 02:32 PM

So she called the courts and they said she can write in and do a mitigation hearing, but there aren't any fix it tickets.

I can't believe this state. I'm very disappointed in the WA police. What a damned hassle.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SOEX
So she called the courts and they said she can write in and do a mitigation hearing, but there aren't any fix it tickets.

I can't believe this state. I'm very disappointed in the WA police. What a damned hassle.
There ARE fix it tickets. I know because I have gotten one before.

Next option since she has a court date is to put the plate on and take a picture or drive the car to the courthouse to show the judge.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 04:27 PM

We'll go try it in court.

She apparently did not get the "fix it" type. Cop was a jerk.