Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

End of the year weird stuff around the shop

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
End of the year weird stuff around the shop

Well its not quite the end of the year but we havent had a project update in awhile so I thought it might be cool to show you why you cant always get us on the phone. Hopefully the new phone program and integrated email/voicemail has been working better, though I know there still are some bugs.

We are continuing to turbocharge quads and the process only seems to get more exciting. My drag bike (first pic) made 138whp at 19psi on a GT28 hybrid on E98. In a 355 lb bike this scoots, with a best of a 4.2@85mph in the 100yds on beach sand.

Time for a new turbo kit though, 20G power now with a goal of over 150whp.

We tune anything with an AEM, and when we were contacted by Scott to tune his RB26 powered 280Z we said sure.

Some wiring gremlins, some hardware problems to combat, but 2 HKS 2530s and a Tomei valvetrain should make for a good endurance road race car.

Our Tech Jake completed another customer streetbike swap in a Quad in the last month, but it needed some custom headers done. I say headers as there was no way to do a 4-1 but rather 2 2-1 headers into dual exhaust. A 2001 Yamaha R1 motor in a 2007 Raptor frame-

They are 150hp at the crank stock so it might give some of our turbo bikes a run for their money.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Nov 24, 2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Evo 2 replica? Mirage with full AWD drivetrain swap and real Evo 2 body panels (down to the wheels)

Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a 4G61 motor we are building for a NW DSMer from way back. Guess my compression?

Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a turbo 22R with Garrett 57 trim and megasquirt to run it. No dyno numbers yet-

Another turbo 22R with stock computer but in a bobbed 4runner on 42s. This particular wheeler belongs to Jake-

Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
wow that piston looks nuts O_O
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Of course we continue to pump out Evos ranging from mild to wild but this is some of the other stuff that we are capable of doing and enjoy. Sube, Honda, toyotas, and bikes, ER is capable and willing to give it a try
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That R1 swap is pretty intense. Bet that was some fab work for sure. Could only imagine what it sounds like on the dunes!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that mirage + AWD swap looks like a perfect daily driver. please post more info.

what motor does it have? did you guys do the swap?

i want to get a daily driver that is cheaper to run (evo viii cost a lot in gas and insurance).
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You guys always seem to be having too much fun. How does one get paid to do this again?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by josel_atr
that mirage + AWD swap looks like a perfect daily driver. please post more info.

what motor does it have? did you guys do the swap?

i want to get a daily driver that is cheaper to run (evo viii cost a lot in gas and insurance).
It has the 90-94 Eclipse "6 bolt" 4G63 rather than the early Evo 7 bolt. The original swap was done by 2 of our friends (one of whom owns the car), the AWD conversion was finished up by Jake this year.

We had it running on an Evo 8 computer and SD earlier in the year but ran into some wiring problems and pulled it out trying to diagnose what we were up against. Come to find out it was just some ground issues, but I am not sure that the Evo8 computer will go back in. Most likely it will just be DSMlink V3 which converts the stock Eclipse computer into something akin to what we do with the Evo.

It put down 280whp on stock cams on 92 octane.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
It has the 90-94 Eclipse "6 bolt" 4G63 rather than the early Evo 7 bolt. The original swap was done by 2 of our friends (one of whom owns the car), the AWD conversion was finished up by Jake this year.

We had it running on an Evo 8 computer and SD earlier in the year but ran into some wiring problems and pulled it out trying to diagnose what we were up against. Come to find out it was just some ground issues, but I am not sure that the Evo8 computer will go back in. Most likely it will just be DSMlink V3 which converts the stock Eclipse computer into something akin to what we do with the Evo.

It put down 280whp on stock cams on 92 octane.
cool cool. my guess was it came from an eclipse. i could easily import first gen evo but dont like the idea of having RHD for daily driver.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:53 AM

I saw that miragevo several months back and the guy seemed to think i was weird for talking to him. LOL
*sadface*
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by josel_atr
cool cool. my guess was it came from an eclipse. i could easily import first gen evo but dont like the idea of having RHD for daily driver.
You can always get one and do a LH drive conversion. Be cheaper in the long run actually.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:38 PM
Account Disabled

Nice! Looks like you guys are having fun. I may need some help with a couple rwd Mitsu projects I'll be starting when I get home.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by codgi
You guys always seem to be having too much fun. How does one get paid to do this again?
Luck mostly, that and A LOT of hard work.

gen-

There are some pretty cool Evo projects about to start up. Andrew and I have been playing with Antilag recently both the factory hardware and the "throttle bypass" method I am doing.

I am tired of manual transmissions and gonna do something about it

We have continuing to do refine the SD conversion process to the point where we can really do it via E tune now. The more we tear apart the code and play with it the more it becomes obvious on how to make it all work.

We have busted up out some HTA Green stuff that looks really interesting as far as how they work for pumpgas turbos. So much so I am thinking of trying one out here before too long.

Turbojunkie is heading to phase 2, the stock turbo will be coming off and easier (yet deeper) 10s are the plan.

Jake no longer has the only all motor Evo in the world, he is back to rocking boost.

Luke hasnt been on the dyno in his car since the Hood River Run which has to be some kind of record for him I think. The little auto is his toy now though so thats probably a good portion of it. The car is performing flawless on DSMlink V3 rather than a stock ECU though (no more AEM). More on that later though.

TJ is working on the FD project (4G63 in a 94 shell) and it will be pretty nutty for a street car.

Jeff's drag car is offline for the winter but will be getting lighter here shortly to make it more consistent. A change in turbocharger might also be in the works His street car is also an auto and should be down in the lower 11s before too long thanks to an older seldom referred turbo called a 3060. More or less its a ball bearing Red.

Andrew is trying to decide on what phase of crazy he is going to go to but it will involve a Black and S2s. Right now his car is making the most power on a stock turbo and stock cams I have ever seen, 435whp at 32psi. For reference I made the same but had the S2s in the car, Jake made 438 but had S2s and a ported intake manifold.

Brandon's FS635 monster is down for an AMS pan and bearing check (passed). We are thinking about seeing what it does with a Magnus and/or dropping to a smaller turbo for awhile.

Personally I have a ton of testing I want to do. I like the power and response of the 3586 and wont sell it for the world. However JR has some turbos he wants tested so we'll see what those will do. I am also going to try the stock turbo with a 34mm restrictor (thanks Eric) for our continuing rally testing and eventual build. I also will try the White to see what it can do. Depending on what I do with my drivetrain it might be awhile before I put the 3586 back on but when it goes back on it should be a good time

aaron

Quick Reply: End of the year weird stuff around the shop