Thanks, I will get the dome light photos tonight
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fujing21
Thanks, I will get the dome light photos tonight
Here it comes.

An overall view:

details

I just draw a picture of how the wire goes. My mouse is out of battery, so please forgive the shaking lines.

The original light was too bright, so I put a filter paper to cover the lamp. It is actually the garbage bag So when it is off, it is in black:

When it lights up, it looks like this:

If you decided to do this, two things be aware: 1. when you run the wire from the light to the sunroof gap. Make sure you slide the wires underneath the ambient light strip. If you don't, you ganna see it in the day time because of the reflection. 2, for any exposed wire, use the black conductive tape to cover it up. Again, if you don't do it , you ganna see it under the sunlight because of the reflection.

Hope it helps guys~!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:04 PM

The light right now is just the same as the factory ones in the front. very similar light intensity, not too bright, not to dark.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
^
That's pretty good.
Thanks for the photos & illustrations.

Question: Does it operate ONLY with the activation of the front map lights?
Or, can you manually toggle it on (by the back seat passengers)?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:13 PM

No it cannot be operated individually, unless you can find a lamp that has the function.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:53 AM

At the risk of sounding contrite what happens when the airbag goes off? projectile? Or is that trim designed to flip up where the 'hinge' in the explosion would be at the edge near the sunroof?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by speddmn
At the risk of sounding contrite what happens when the airbag goes off? projectile? Or is that trim designed to flip up where the 'hinge' in the explosion would be at the edge near the sunroof?
Hey that's great you're looking it from a safety aspect!
That's why we're talking about different solutions to this backseat lighting issue on an open forum...

The more people participate and critique the proposed ideas/MODs the better, we can all (safely) benefit.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
Hey that's great you're looking it from a safety aspect!
That's why we're talking about different solutions to this backseat lighting issue on an open forum...

The more people participate and critique the proposed ideas/MODs the better, we can all (safely) benefit.
My wiring was kept out from the curtain airbag by the edge of the roof liner. The curtain airbag sit is actually rolled up and nothing should get close to it.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:14 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fujing21
My wiring was kept out from the curtain airbag by the edge of the roof liner. The curtain airbag sit is actually rolled up and nothing should get close to it.
I think he more meant when the airbag explodes outward what will happen to the lamp housing? First impressions are that the airbag will "throw" the lamp out of its way and potentially shoot the lamp into someone...

However, if the trim piece you mounted it on is designed to swing upwards, the lamp is more likely to swing upwards and out of the way as well.

(at least that's what I thought he was asking)
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
I think he more meant when the airbag explodes outward what will happen to the lamp housing? First impressions are that the airbag will "throw" the lamp out of its way and potentially shoot the lamp into someone...

However, if the trim piece you mounted it on is designed to swing upwards, the lamp is more likely to swing upwards and out of the way as well.

(at least that's what I thought he was asking)
Looking at the 2011 crash tests for our O.sports, it was Not easily apparent how the side curtains effects the upper trim pieces from the video angles they had...

Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:15 AM

Ok guys. If I were to want to connect a light using the dome lights how would i do it. I was looking at the wiring and the dome light has one white one yellow and one black wire coming to it. I was thinking about trying some LED strips. Just didn't know which wire to splice into. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wildcardnc
Ok guys. If I were to want to connect a light using the dome lights how would i do it. I was looking at the wiring and the dome light has one white one yellow and one black wire coming to it. I was thinking about trying some LED strips. Just didn't know which wire to splice into. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I've been looking into this also... LED strip or cluster pack should work. It's just figuring out where best to tap to temporary/momentary power, that's the trick.

I didn't have any luck trying to get some wiring schematics from the local dealership this pass weekend. I'll have to try again (another time or another dealer)

I'll definitely post if I find anything helpful.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:54 PM

my lamp will not on way when the air bag deploy. The airbag will not come out from the gap that i went my wires.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 04:40 PM

I put led strips in the track where the orange led is and it lights up the back enough that i can see and no drilling cutting require. Just get power from the dome light.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/10874771-post18.html
The pic is in the post
Old Jul 6, 2013, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I have a 1 yr old.. the light is highly needed in the rear for night time.. especially when that good ol "bobo" (pacifier) falls.

outlander sports interior options included an under footwell lighting for the driver and passenger. this is accomplished by tapping into the ECU 6pin connector and so on.. but what if this was used for the rear instead of the front. it would be ideal. the only downfall is tha tit is only activated with an open door. not by switch.

here are some diagrams and install pics of the footwell lights.

http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/Insta..._SPORT_PG1.pdf

Quick Reply: GLASS ROOF = NO DOME LIGHT - Help!