Notices

2011 Outlander sports ES & SE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
If you're not a good haggler then do as much of the deal online as possible. Of course they try to get you in the door as soon as possible, but many internet salesmen will haggle through email. Some more than others, but I know someone who literally ironed out almost the entire deal via email. She showed up, they finalized everything while she did the test drive, and she basically signed the paperwork and left. Finance term, interest rate, vehicle price, and everything was done through email. I think she called them to do the credit stuff though, didn't want to send the SSN over email.
This is good advise IF you are dealing with New cars.. mainly.

When you're trying to buy Used, you would want to deal in person (unless you have bought from this dealer or person before) because each Used vehicle is unique - let it be problem(s) that dealer "don't know" about.., or defects/not working controls/electronics, or things that's missing off the vehicle.

Part of becoming a great haggler is to overcome your own "fear of being taken advantage of".. You won't be if you do some initial prep work.

Buying cars is very straight forward.
It's just like running a restaurant. < Don't be afraid to start a fire in the kitchen nor burning the food - Get over the fact you have to prepare, cook and serve food everyday...

^
That's Lesson 1.

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
If you're not a good haggler then do as much of the deal online as possible. Of course they try to get you in the door as soon as possible, but many internet salesmen will haggle through email. Some more than others, but I know someone who literally ironed out almost the entire deal via email. She showed up, they finalized everything while she did the test drive, and she basically signed the paperwork and left. Finance term, interest rate, vehicle price, and everything was done through email. I think she called them to do the credit stuff though, didn't want to send the SSN over email.
Absolutely Correct!
Do NOT correspond your finance info via email OR their AutoTrack website(s). Especially with Used car lots.

Only talk about finance AFTER you find the suitable vehicle you are willing to buy (in person preferrably).
Sales people will try to talk you into "Let's see what you can afford" speech for your SSN and monthly payments. However, if they haven't even shown you a vehicle you're interested in.. it's wasting your time.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Oct 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

OP,
Just a friendly heads up.

Not sure if you thought about the warranty... Pre-own Mitsu's don't have the same 10yr/100,000 that comes with New cars. (Yes, you can purchase & dealers will push you into Buying that "extended" coverage.)

I know you said you like the older styling.. But, I'm telling you now - having full warranty that comes with a new vehicle is a LOT better than dealing with "extended" warranties/claims.

And, with the amount of money, higher tax etc. you're going to pay for Used > You might seriously consider buying New. I checked again on your LA area and they are selling brand new 2013's for $16,500...

2014 O.Sport ES going for $17,700.

So, I got the feeling new car dealers are trying to blow out their "old" 2013 stock for the incoming 2014s... May be Smart & money-wise for you to buy a NEW 2013 ! (I bet you if work on your haggling skills, you probably can also get 0% APR, 0 downpayment thru Mitsu Credit NA.)

Than to waste your hard earn money on vehicles with 14K-25,000+ miles & shorter warranties.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Oct 23, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mRVRsport
OP,
Just a friendly heads up.

Not sure if you thought about the warranty... Pre-own Mitsu's don't have the same 10yr/100,000 that comes with New cars. (Yes, you can purchase & dealers will push you into Buying that "extended" coverage.)

I know you said you like the older styling.. But, I'm telling you now - having full warranty that comes with a new vehicle is a LOT better than dealing with "extended" warranties/claims.

And, with the amount of money, higher tax etc. you're going to pay for Used > You might seriously consider buying New. I checked again on your LA area and they are selling brand new 2013's for $16,500...

2014 O.Sport ES going for $17,700.

So, I got the feeling new car dealers are trying to blow out their "old" 2013 stock for the incoming 2014s... May be Smart & money-wise for you to buy a NEW 2013 ! (I bet you if work on your haggling skills, you probably can also get 0% APR, 0 downpayment thru Mitsu Credit NA.)

Than to waste your hard earn money on vehicles with 14K-25,000+ miles & shorter warranties.
That is the problem, I totally hate the 2013+ O sport, I think it is super ugly
and I would not even consider it. Why would I want to throw 15K+ on a car that Im going to hate everytime I get into it... like I said, there aren't many SUV/CUV that I like(exterior). Thanks for the heads up guys. I will be going to the dealer this weekend.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

^
ha..
Well, "hate" & "super ugly" are strong words.
I'm sure you'll change your mind, given a little time.

True - out of all the "mini SUVs" out on the market... Unless you look at an Audi Q or BMW X series, there's not many that looks as good as our O.Sports. (No matter the year released.)

Go kick 'em tires.
And, remember there's still 7 days left in the month, so they'll be eager to make a deal, make sure you don't get pressured into a quick sale.

Keep us updated.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Was at dealer Friday and saw the Outlander sport and was totally
disappointed because the trunk space was so small... I can't get this
car because I need it for loading groceries for my restaurant. My 2000
Civic had a bigger trunk space! Also that car had dents on the door which
I didn't like either...I'm now thinking of getting a Lancer since the trunk is same
or bigger than my civic. Thanks for the help guys!
Old Oct 26, 2013, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

^
??
You Know... you can fold down the back seats (both of them), or they can split 40/60. With both down you get 49.5 cu.ft.

My wife and I just hauled 12 cases of laminate flooring tonight. No problems.

Curious.. are you hauling around a dozen 50lb bags of rice?

Last edited by mRVRsport; Oct 26, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:00 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Newuser213
Was at dealer Friday and saw the Outlander sport and was totally
disappointed because the trunk space was so small... I can't get this
car because I need it for loading groceries for my restaurant. My 2000
Civic had a bigger trunk space! Also that car had dents on the door which
I didn't like either...I'm now thinking of getting a Lancer since the trunk is same
or bigger than my civic. Thanks for the help guys!
If you're really concerned about numbers, the Civic has about 13 cubic ft of trunk space and the Outlander Sport has just under 22 cubic ft with the seats up and almost 50 cubic ft of space with the seats down.

Sedans will almost always look like they have more space because you're viewing the cargo area in a linear view as opposed to vertically on SUVs
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:17 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I've never felt like I didn't have enough trunk space in this
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

^
I'm guessing... Perhaps the dealership tried to pull a fast one - showed OP a Nissan Juke trying to pass it off as an Outlander Sport. Or, someone put a big sub box in the hatch.

Well, to be fair > If you need the extra space OP? Have you considered looking at the "big brother" Outlanders? They have 73 cu.ft with the seats folded down.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

^
I'm guessing... Perhaps the dealership tried to pull a fast one - showed OP a Nissan Juke trying to pass it off as an Outlander Sport. Or, someone put a big sub box in the hatch.

Well, to be fair > If you need the extra space OP? Have you considered looking at the "big brother" Outlanders? They have 73 cu.ft with the seats folded down.

Guys I got the 2012 Lancer ES.
The Outlander Sports was cute when I saw it, but the trunk space is too small.
I ride daily with 3 passengers in my car when I load it with cargo for
my business. The things I put in the trunk are "boxy"(case broccoli/case chicken/case veggies/100lb rice...). I cannot lift up the seats for the additional
space. From the back of the seat to the back door, it only allowed me to put
2 case of chicken side by side and I can't fit a case of broccoli perpendicular
to the chicken unlike my CIVIC or Lancer(I actually measured the length).
Old Oct 28, 2013, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Newuser213
Guys I got the 2012 Lancer ES.
The Outlander Sports was cute when I saw it, but the trunk space is too small.
I ride daily with 3 passengers in my car when I load it with cargo for
my business.
The things I put in the trunk are "boxy"(case broccoli/case chicken/case veggies/100lb rice...). I cannot lift up the seats for the additional
space. From the back of the seat to the back door, it only allowed me to put
2 case of chicken side by side and I can't fit a case of broccoli perpendicular
to the chicken unlike my CIVIC or Lancer(I actually measured the length).
Alright. At least you stayed with a

Understood.
Wish you continued success in your business!

just curious - How many miles on the Lancer?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Came with 28K miles on it, I believe it was previously leased
by a middle age/elder man. They had the bluetooth phone
setup on the system and I heard the guys voice/name lol, I delete his
pairing and added mine. Stupid dealership running games with me,
took me 6 hours until I got out there with the car...
I told them stop with the games and they kept doing it... ::sigh::
Well the original car I wanted to was sold so I looked around a
bit like an hour.

Now I'm thinking of modifying my car, sound system too weak
need rims and etc

Alright. At least you stayed with a

Understood.
Wish you continued success in your business!

just curious - How many miles on the Lancer?