Notices

Outlander Sport (RVR/ASX) : Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Outlander Sport (RVR/ASX) : Wheel Alignment

Just a heads up. I wanted to share what I just experienced.

> Be aware of your wheel alignments. Because we have Electric power steering, we may not be as astute in noticing alignment problems. There's definitely NO tactile feel from either "lose of" engine power or "noises" from power-steering pump per se..

After last weekend's wheel rotation, I noticed the steering wheel to be just slightly off center (just enough to be annoying to me) and our vehicle would drift to the right - over a period of time - on straight roads.

So, I brought it back to the dealership this morning to have it looked at.
Sure enough > they were out-of-spec on Toe :

Driver Front
-0.27 degrees (out of specified -0.04)

AND
Driver Rear
0.24 degrees (out of 0.04)

That's quite a bit. The best they can guess is probably knocked out from the pot-holes around town... Maybe.. But we are very careful to avoid those things. But, you never know.

>> Good news is for those of us still within 12 months of our purchase date, apparently we are covered under warranty for a full alignment services.
(At least that's what I was told.)

Therefore, I didn't have to shell out any $ for this.

In case this is ever related to Outie11's post, I'll just LINK it for future reference.

Here's a chart I made with the Manufacturer's Original Spec Range (along with my results) >

Charts of Term Definitions & Examples >

Thought I should add this Note (Helpful) -

JACK/LIFT POINTS ^
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...know-jack.html

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jul 22, 2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 05:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mRVRsport

> Be aware of your wheel alignments. Because we have Electric power steering, we may not be as astute in noticing alignment problems. There's definitely NO tactile feel from either "lose of" engine power or "noises" from power-steering pump per se..

After last weekend's wheel rotation, I noticed the steering wheel to be just slightly off center (just enough to be annoying to me) and our vehicle would drift to the right - over a period of time - on straight roads.

Driver Front

AND
Driver Rear

That's quite a bit. The best they can guess is probably knocked out from the pot-holes around town... Maybe.. But we are very careful to avoid those things. But, you never know.

>> Good news is for those of us still within 12 months of our purchase date, apparently we are covered under warranty for a full alignment services.

In case this is ever related to Outie11's post, I'll just LINK it for future reference.
Shouldn't this be covered under powertrain or even bumper to bumper?!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wesley Eng
Shouldn't this be covered under powertrain or even bumper to bumper?!
Yes, I believe it is and it was.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:18 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
BUT, as you mentioned, it's not covered for long. "Normal use" for some people can cause an alignment to be out of spec very quickly, so (and basically every other make) consider it to be a "consumable" item, like tires, oil, wiper blades, etc. and not subject to protection through the warranty.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
BUT, as you mentioned, it's not covered for long. ...
CORRECT!
I guess it really depends on Dealer's "discretion"...

Like I said, his comment about me "being within 12 months of purschase date" came out of his mouth, not mine.

He could have easily said, "Sorry bud. Wheel Alignments not covered." or "there's going to be a Lift Fee or some such (just to look at your vehicle)" to bilk me out of some $$

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
..."Normal use" for some people can cause an alignment to be out of spec very quickly, so (and basically every other make) consider it to be a "consumable" item, like tires, oil, wiper blades, etc. and not subject to protection through the warranty.
That is Correct also.

In all honesty, I would have been more than willing to pay for the alignment service JUST to have a baseline of it being done (and to have it documented into their computer system as permanent record) PLUS getting a hardcopy printout of the readings/measurements so I have a detailed record/reference of what the wheel alignment specs are, and what mine were on my O.Sport.

But, I think I've established my rapport with the service advisor(s) there for them to know me well enough and that I'm serious about taking care of this vehicle. So, I don't believe I would have given them any doubts or concerns that I was "abusing" the vehicle for them to deny offering me "free" service or to file warranty coverage on my behalf.

They see my face there enough and know me by name.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Oct 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Updated.
(with charts)
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Also.. remember to rotate your wheels around 10K mark.

Old Nov 21, 2013, 03:08 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Due to the longer period of time between oil changes, I have been just doing mine at the same time. Oil change and tire rotation every 7,500 miles.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

I'll have to re-render that chart of mine.. it's hard to read.

Here's the original dotmatrix printout of the alignment results >
Old Dec 18, 2014, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also.. remember to rotate your wheels around 10K mark.

My ASX doesn't even get 10,000 from a set of front tyres.

What I have posted on Mitsubishi Australias facebook page

I have owned a Mitsubishi ASX for 10 months now (1 of several Mitsubishi's I have owned out of my over 100 cars I have owned in my life. Yes I am a car fanatic and know a lot about them). It is an MY14 diesel model. Overall it has been a good car except for one glaring problem. The car eats through the outer edges of the front tyres every 10,000 kms to 12,000kms. Particularly the outside of the front left tyre.

Mitsubishi have had 6 attempts at fixing this problem (a few of those times with the regional manager assisting) and have replaced the tyres once. They have even gone as far as undoing the whole front cradle and all suspension mounts and trying to realign them (well so I was told) . They have failed to rectify the problem and now claim the car is in spec, so there is no problem. A total joke when on the other hand the same Mitsubishi rep recommended the dealer adjust the camber (There is no factory camber adjustment, so maybe he needs to go back to Mitsubishi school). I don't care if the car is "in spec" as they now try to claim. All that proves is their "spec" is wrong.

Despite the fact I have now found other ASX's with the identical problem Mitsubishi customer service have been total pig headed about the problem. Based on that I will never be buying another Mitsubishi ever again. My local dealer has been trying to help and their service manager is disgusted with Mitsubishis attitude as he has found a near new ASX on his lot with the same problem, with only 5,000 kms on the clock.

Investigating online I have found other owners around the world who are also replacing front tyres at ridiculously low mileage. As low as 3000 miles for one English owner.

That being said the English one was fixed by doing the following.
1. Fit an aftermarket camber kit and do a proper wheel alignment far removed from Mitsubishi's specs.
2. Replace the Dunlop tyres with Yokohama or Continental tyres. I am sure any other good brand will do.
3. Ignore Mitsubishi's recommended tyre pressures on the door sticker. How is it Mitsubishi that you recommend 38psi for ASXs with 16" wheels yet recommend 32psi for vehicles with 17" wheels? Upon investigating this "factory" specification I have found that is wrong too and the Dunlop tyres can take up to 51 PSI pressure and tyre outlets are recommending 38 to 40 PSI for a vehicle of the ASX size and weight.

Shame on you Mitsubishi for sticking your head in the sand. I will see you in fair trading, as they have already agreed you accepted liability by replacing the tyres at 12,000 kms and are yet to fix the cause of the problem.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim-ASX
My ASX doesn't even get 10,000 from a set of front tyres.

What I have posted on Mitsubishi Australias facebook page

I have owned a Mitsubishi ASX for 10 months now (1 of several Mitsubishi's I have owned out of my over 100 cars I have owned in my life. Yes I am a car fanatic and know a lot about them). It is an MY14 diesel model. Overall it has been a good car except for one glaring problem. The car eats through the outer edges of the front tyres every 10,000 kms to 12,000kms. Particularly the outside of the front left tyre.

Mitsubishi have had 6 attempts at fixing this problem (a few of those times with the regional manager assisting) and have replaced the tyres once. They have even gone as far as undoing the whole front cradle and all suspension mounts and trying to realign them (well so I was told) . They have failed to rectify the problem and now claim the car is in spec, so there is no problem. A total joke when on the other hand the same Mitsubishi rep recommended the dealer adjust the camber (There is no factory camber adjustment, so maybe he needs to go back to Mitsubishi school). I don't care if the car is "in spec" as they now try to claim. All that proves is their "spec" is wrong.

Despite the fact I have now found other ASX's with the identical problem Mitsubishi customer service have been total pig headed about the problem. Based on that I will never be buying another Mitsubishi ever again. My local dealer has been trying to help and their service manager is disgusted with Mitsubishis attitude as he has found a near new ASX on his lot with the same problem, with only 5,000 kms on the clock.

Investigating online I have found other owners around the world who are also replacing front tyres at ridiculously low mileage. As low as 3000 miles for one English owner.

That being said the English one was fixed by doing the following.
1. Fit an aftermarket camber kit and do a proper wheel alignment far removed from Mitsubishi's specs.
2. Replace the Dunlop tyres with Yokohama or Continental tyres. I am sure any other good brand will do.
3. Ignore Mitsubishi's recommended tyre pressures on the door sticker. How is it Mitsubishi that you recommend 38psi for ASXs with 16" wheels yet recommend 32psi for vehicles with 17" wheels? Upon investigating this "factory" specification I have found that is wrong too and the Dunlop tyres can take up to 51 PSI pressure and tyre outlets are recommending 38 to 40 PSI for a vehicle of the ASX size and weight.

Shame on you Mitsubishi for sticking your head in the sand. I will see you in fair trading, as they have already agreed you accepted liability by replacing the tyres at 12,000 kms and are yet to fix the cause of the problem.
Yikes!
Are you serious...? So you're saying the tire(s) are going bad within 6,000 - 7,400 miles?
Man, that is really bad. I'm sorry to hear that.

>> We are currently at 30,058 miles on factory stock tires - Toyo P225/55R18, there's still a good amount of tread left too. (I think we can get at least 45-50,000 miles out of them, at the rate we are going**.) I keep my tires at ~38psi

So, did your dealer ever give you an alignment report to Show you the BEFORE & After specs??

I would be very curious to see. (If nothing just to compare it to mine.)

** I bet I can get to 60,000 but they would be totally unsafe to drive on cause they probably be completely bald.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Dec 18, 2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:37 AM

Unhappy Help please! Alignment problem, dealer says it's ok, 2014 RVR

Hello everyone,

I bought a 2014 RVR GT last September/14, and a few weeks after our first few drives, we felt that the car kept steering slightly to the left. At low speed it's still noticeable but it really gets annoying when you're on the highway, we literally have to keep our hands on the wheel pretty tight and pull to down to the right to keep the car straight.

I went to the dealership twice and they did an alignment on the car, last one a week ago, but the problem still there, I called them to let them know and they talk to me like I'm crazy, I drive the freaking car every day and it's really ruining for me, you know it's a new car, you wanted it to work properly.

I don't know what else can I do, I guess going down there again and complain until they do something about it.

Any suggestions?

I can't really see how the alignment is done, because they take the car to the back and don't let you go in to see! "employees only".

One of the guys who I talked to the first time I brought the car even told me that "I could be like that because the weight distribution of the car" that "the transmission is located to the left of the vehicle and it's heavy and that's why it was pulling that way" which I find stupid, because I don't think Mitsubishi makes unbalanced vehicles so that owners have to keep the steering wheel in awkward angle to make the car go straight, nonsense!!!

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or information I can bring to the dealership to show them that they're bull****ing and that there's actually something wrong with the car.

Btw, we're super careful drivers and do not recall driving it to a major pothole that could throw off the alignment like that, again this is a problem the car had since we noticed it few weeks after we bought it.

Thank you!!

JP
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:39 AM

Unhappy Help please! Alignment problem, dealer says it's ok, 2014 RVR

Hello everyone,

I bought a 2014 RVR GT last September/14, and a few weeks after our first few drives, we felt that the car kept steering slightly to the left. At low speed it's still noticeable but it really gets annoying when you're on the highway, we literally have to keep our hands on the wheel pretty tight and pull to down to the right to keep the car straight.

I went to the dealership twice and they did an alignment on the car, last one a week ago, but the problem still there, I called them to let them know and they talk to me like I'm crazy, I drive the freaking car every day and it's really ruining for me, you know it's a new car, you wanted it to work properly.

I don't know what else can I do, I guess going down there again and complain until they do something about it.

Any suggestions?

I can't really see how the alignment is done, because they take the car to the back and don't let you go in to see! "employees only".

One of the guys who I talked to the first time I brought the car even told me that "I could be like that because the weight distribution of the car" that "the transmission is located to the left of the vehicle and it's heavy and that's why it was pulling that way" which I find stupid, because I don't think Mitsubishi makes unbalanced vehicles so that owners have to keep the steering wheel in awkward angle to make the car go straight, nonsense!!!

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or information I can bring to the dealership to show them that they're bull****ing and that there's actually something wrong with the car.

Btw, we're super careful drivers and do not recall driving it to a major pothole that could throw off the alignment like that, again this is a problem the car had since we noticed it few weeks after we bought it.

Thank you!!

JP

Driver Front

AND
Driver Rear

Here's a chart I made with the Manufacturer's Original Spec Range (along with my results) >

Charts of Term Definitions & Examples >

Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by juanchorvr

This fella wins the NBSA** for the month!
Do you have a recording of him saying that to you?

To claim that as the cause for any vehicle to pull one way or the other is beyond asinine!

> What he is suggesting would be a Number One cause of traffic accidents if you were to loosen you grip of your steering wheel and the vehicle starts to drift over the center median to on-coming traffic. I know I wouldn't want a vehicle to be on the highway IF they have this kind of steering problem.

> Also, your tires (and other suspension components would start to have) premature/excessive wear. Not very safe if you were to drive in rain weather.

Originally Posted by juanchorvr
Hello everyone,

Any suggestions?

Here's 3 suggestions -
1. Document Everything! Keep your receipts, emails, who you talked to, what was said/done etc.

2. Next, ask for a hardcopy printout of your Alignment!
This will show YOU clearly what the current alignment is as compared to After adjustments Plus what it should be as per Mitsubishi specifications.

> Don't take "no we can't print from our alignment machine" as an answer neither. Since you can obviously see I have a copy of mine.

3. You don't need to get your blood pressure up.
Just state the problem(s) and voice your safety concerns- If the Service Advisor doesn't give you satisfaction, then ask to speak to the Service Manager. If he doesn't give you satisfaction, then ask to talk to the GM. IF that doesn't solve it then take all your documentation and send it to Mitsu corporate NA.

It shouldn't take that. But, just in case.

Bonus suggestion >
You might need to find another Mitsu dealer, if this one drops the ball again.

** National BullSh!t Award

Last edited by mRVRsport; Feb 7, 2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:00 AM

I'm having the same issue right now with my 2015 RVR (only 2700km).

My RVR drifts to the right ever so slightly and my steering wheel is angled off to the right as well.

I have a service appt tomorrow morning so I will post updates when I get it back.

Quick Reply: Outlander Sport (RVR/ASX) : Wheel Alignment