Notices

Brembo Brakes for the O.S.

Old Mar 4, 2015, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.cardone.com/find-parts/ve...port&year=2011

they make what looks like all the OE parts as well.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's just freaky coincidence as to how exactly alike the Mitsu and the Hyundai caliper and bracket look.
When my new ones show up, (got confermation they shipped) I'll do some measuring of the bolt holes and bracket and post'm up. If someone can come up with the measurements for the OS bracket and caliper piston, we might just have something here for everyone.
I'll also measure the rotors when they get in. This could be a potential parts kit if we just did some elbow grease work.
compare this link to the one above from Texas Travisty.
http://www.cardone.com/Products/Prod...unting+Bracket
Old Mar 4, 2015, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Krakker..
I'm so glad you stayed with us.. even though you moved up to the Outlander.

I don't think anyone of us alone would have imagined a Hyundai vehicle might have similar brake components as our Mitsu's, let alone their performance parts...

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2011 / Brakes / Calipers
(Front Left)
OE Metal Piston;Supplied w/o Mounting Bracket

vs.

Hyundai XG350 2004 / Brakes / Calipers
(Front Left)
OE Metal Piston;Supplied w/Mounting Bracket

Please keep us posted on those XG brakes!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
Krakker..
I'm so glad you stayed with us.. even though you moved up to the Outlander.
Please keep us posted on those XG brakes!
Can't really leave, this is the only place to share any Outlander info anyway and some still transfers to the OS.

The Stock OS caliper looks VERY similar to the stock Sonata caliper. Sonata might just have a larger piston. Automotive makers use suppliers just like they've always done, so it would not surprise me to find that at least the Sonata Caliper and rotor would bolt up to the factory OS bracket.
There are plenty of aftermarket rotors and pads for the Sonata and Optima. BUT,,,,,, If the bracket mounting holes are the same distance, and the rotors are the same width, You'd have a VERY capable BBK setup using OEM parts (reman or not) and a choice of rotors.
The Kia Optima has a larger rotor than the Sonata turbo does. (why I don't know) Slotted aftermarket rotors run $105+ and the XG350 calipers w/ brackets are around $100+ including core. Even if youj can't return the stock OS calipers as a core, you're looking at $350-400 for a kit that's got better rotors, better calipers and what ever you chose for pads.
IF you can get You Pull It parts from a yard, you can save hundreds.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Krakker
Can't really leave, this is the only place to share any Outlander info anyway and some still transfers to the OS.

The Stock OS caliper looks VERY similar to the stock Sonata caliper. Sonata might just have a larger piston. Automotive makers use suppliers just like they've always done, so it would not surprise me to find that at least the Sonata Caliper and rotor would bolt up to the factory OS bracket.
There are plenty of aftermarket rotors and pads for the Sonata and Optima. BUT,,,,,, If the bracket mounting holes are the same distance, and the rotors are the same width, You'd have a VERY capable BBK setup using OEM parts (reman or not# and a choice of rotors.
The Kia Optima has a larger rotor than the Sonata turbo does. #why I don't know) Slotted aftermarket rotors run $105+ and the XG350 calipers w/ brackets are around $100+ including core. Even if youj can't return the stock OS calipers as a core, you're looking at $350-400 for a kit that's got better rotors, better calipers and what ever you chose for pads.
IF you can get You Pull It parts from a yard, you can save hundreds.

We definitely appreciate you sharing.

And, since you brought it up...
What year/model of those hyundai should we be looking for, at the yard?

> 2011 HYUNDAI SONATA Limited SE, LINK

or,

2005 HYUNDAI XG SERIES, LINK

Now you got me thinking if any of those nissan 350z have brake components that would fit.
>
RF CALIPER - W/ BRACKET: $40
2003-2005 Front; w/o Brembo brakes
Old Mar 4, 2015, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Calipers: 2004-2005 Hyundai XG350. Fronts should have twin piston calipers.
Or: 2010-2014 Hyundai Sonata. Fronts should be a larger piston and close to same rotor dia. as the OS.
If the rotor width is the same lining up with the caliper, then you should be able to use the Sonata rotors 2010-14, or use the Hyundai Vericruze or Kia Optima SX or EX turbo rotors. They are taller and will work with a taller Bracket like the one on the XG350.
After seeing the brackets from the Cardone website, I think it would be easy to adapt a "spacer" bracket just to able to use a larger rotor. They are essentially a flat piece from the knuckle up.

Most important,,,,,, If you look at the bracket, and how the pins connect the caliper, you'd see that there's a LOT of extra material that basically goes over the other side of the rotor. You only need the pins to give the caliper some room to shift to the rotor. A plate steel bracket like I use on my 1ton disk brake rear axle on the Jeep, has plenty of rigidity. (some guys even use spacers for the calipers they run) That being said, even a rotor that's slightly wider "hat height" could be make to work if you just shimmed the caliper to match and cut a bracket that would fit what ever caliper you chose. Still, we'll measure the bracket mounting holes when they come in and see if someone else can measure the bracket holes from the OS. that should give us an idea of what needs done next. I do know that based on others who've already done this mod to their Optimas, that the XG350 calipers are the bomb. Even if rotor thickness is the same on the OS, you could get the XG caliper mounted to the stock bracket and have twin pistons that grab well. Just change out the rotors for aftermarket slotted ones. (drilled are just a cosmetic look on a street car)
Old Mar 8, 2015, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.turbohkforums.com/t4229-b...e-thread#67036
http://www.turbohkforums.com/t4229-b...e-thread#67134
http://www.turbohkforums.com/t4229-b...e-thread#67136

OK, the above link shows the pics and info of the XG350 calipers w/ brackets. Rather than load up this thread with the same pics, just click the link and scroll down.
I still have to get out the scale and get some weights, but here's a start.
The mounting holes on the XG350 bracket are 5.050 from center to center. If the holes on the OS are the same distance apart, then you've got a new setup to swap using OEM parts or some reman & aftermarket.

I've included measurements for the rotors I'm using also. They are the same bolt pattern the OS and other Mitsu models. 5x114.

Last edited by Krakker; Mar 8, 2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Just got done with my Brake mod on my Sonata. If these parts will bolt up to the stock parts, you've got an option for some serious brakes.
http://www.turbohkforums.com/t4229-b...upgrade-thread
Attached Thumbnails Brembo Brakes for the O.S.-wp_20150313_12_28_27_pro.jpg  
Old Mar 13, 2015, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

^
wow.
Those are some nice looking brakes!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Just did the rear brakes with slotted rotors and ceramic pads. WOW,, this thing stops incredibly well. The slotted rotors and ceramic pads even with stock setup would improve the OS.
I will most likely change out the rotors on the wifes Big "O" soon.
I found BRAKELABS.com to have plenty of options when it comes to brakes.
You can get 2 or 4 rotor sets with or without ceramic pads and at your door in less than a week.

If your looking for better brakes, You might start with some slotted rotors and good pads. and don't forget to bleed them decently. My rears on the car were very much in need of a good bleed. Lots of air in the lines.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:47 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm sure I've said it here before, but it's worth repeating: Stainless-steel brake lines.

The rubber hoses that run from the chassis to the caliper expand under pressure, meaning you are getting less pressure, and thus stopping power, at the piston.

StopTech sums it up pretty nicely:

Any time that an object is subjected to internal pressure, it expands. The amount of expansion will be proportional to the amount of pressure present and the rigidity of the holding structure. In the case of brake hoses, we are subjecting Teflon to internal pressures as high as 3000PSI. Because the Teflon is relatively flexible (which makes it ideal for the job in one regard), it will expand under these conditions. This expansion creates additional fluid volume in the hydraulic circuit which is felt by the driver as a soft or mushy pedal.

Rubber overmolding does little to reduce expansion under pressure, as rubber is also a relatively flexible material. A woven braid of Stainless Steel, however, can greatly increase the rigidity of the hose under pressure while still allowing adequate flexibility for wheel end movement. In many cases, this reduced expansion can be felt by the driver as a firmer or more responsive brake pedal.

In addition, the reduced compliance will result in a faster transient response of the brake system. In other words, the time from the driver hitting the brake pedal until deceleration is generated will be decreased by a small amount. The benefit will vary based on each individual application, but in general overall deceleration can be attained more quickly, resulting in slightly shorter stopping distances.
I have personal experience with them as well, as I've had them on both my Audi A4 USP, and my Yamaha FZR 600R. SS lines are not very expensive and give a decent return on stopping performance.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are there SS lines available for this platform?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 06:20 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I've come across them in the past, so I know for sure they exist, but I don't recall where. You can get them for pretty much any vehicle though.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
I've come across them in the past, so I know for sure they exist, but I don't recall where. You can get them for pretty much any vehicle though.
A place called Goodridge made lines for my Jeeps. My local Brake and Clutch specialty shop said they can make any line. They were about $40 each tho. .
Old Aug 28, 2015, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondering if anything ever came
Of this? I put EVO 9 brembos on my 99 Gsx and loved them. The brembos would look great with my wheels on my OS plus braking would be better too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brembo Brakes for the O.S.