Notices

Adding "Factory" options?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding "Factory" options?

We have recently purchased a 2018 SEL, and was wondering if any of the factory options, such as auto-dimming headlights, blind spot sensors, etc. are able to be installed afterwards. I'm not talking about aftermarket options from someone like Car Toys, but the things that could have been ordered with the car. Anyone looked into this? We could have gotten most of the options in a 2019 GT, but would have lost the leather seats and LED fog lights, as well as cost us another $4,500. We purchased from a dealer that is no longer a Mistubishi dealer, and had some 2018 new stock.

Excited about the car and having something nice to add upgrades. It will be my wife's winter car, as she has had Mitsubishi for more than 20 years. I have to convince her to give up her Galant so this becomes her full-time drive.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Welcome to our community!
I hope you are going to find this forum useful. You may use the advanced search option for finding specific solutions to many potential problems or modifications.
Generally, anything can be added that is available in one trim or another but for what price? I am sure if you order the OEM parts (they should be available as replacement parts for those higher trims) and have the dealership install them and program the ETACS for the new amenities, you would end up forking out more than the price difference was between the trim levels. Additionally, the quality and reliability of the install could be lower than that of done in the factory. Removing and replacing instrument panels also often results in rattling without special care. If the mentioned items are so important to you, I am afraid you may have purchased the wrong car. Now, realistically speaking (with an economically viable way) you only have the option of adding some of these features with aftermarket items. Another question is how brave and talented you feel/are to install some of these yourself. If your research, work is not counted, you may get some (not all) installed for fraction of the price. For example, blind spot sensors can be purchased on ebay for $50 or so. If you install them yourself that will be your price for this. BTW, blind spot sensors (strictly in my own opinion only) are completely unnecessary if you adjust your side mirrors correctly but $50 is not a big investment if you value this. I have done a lot of /mechanic/electric/programming mods for peanuts. You may even shop cross-brand (from another make) for some of the features but I admit that this would add a lot more time to explore the solution.
Good luck with your new vehicle and with the modifications.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 09:08 PM

It is fair assessment, since I didn't introduce myself. I'm fairly new to the Mitsubishi forums, so not sure what teh community is up to, but certainly not new to Mitsubishi. My mom had a couple Dodge Colts when I was a kid, and a close friend had an 97 Eclipse. My wife has had three Galants, and I've worked on hers for almost 10 years. 40+ years of turning wrenches on cars, motorcycles and other things, and a general hatred of aftermarket installers, mechanics and dealers. I am mostly familiar with Toyota and Ford, having had and modified those since the late 80s. I hate inferior aftermarket crap. Quality aftermarket is a different story. My requirement is that something has to be installed right, and it has to either look like nothing was ever done, or that it belongs there. Spent lots of time upgrading my daily driver, a 2005 4Runner, and a good chunk of time on the wife's Galant. You may be able to spot my mods, but you would have to try real hard to have any real criticism of the installation. Having been a former mechanic, and seeing the work of Mickey Mouse on the customer's elecrical systems, and later being an electrical engineer, and telecom professional, I have a very strong desire to see things done right, even it it takes longer. No quick hack job will ever match the quality of something done with care.

That being said, I was hoping that people that have had the Outlander Sports would have blazed the road before me, and would have some pointers of things to add. I agree with you that no amount of electronics will replace situational awareness that all drivers need to master, but anything that helps bring extra visibility or awareness is nice to have. I almost never remember there is a back camera, as I look through the back of the car when backing up, not at the screen. It is helpful when I want to see how close I am to the front of the 4Runner, as I don't want to damage either car.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Thank you for the introduction. There is a lot of customization/modification examples documented in this forum. As I mentioned just use the "Advanced Search" option from the top menu and select the OS forum, although in some cases - as a lot of features are common with Lancers - you may search in the Lancer forums as well. I do not recall anyone documenting the installation of driver assistance features either here or in the Outlander Forum but I could be wrong. I am probably not far from the truth that many of us introduced and documented a modification here either for getting a unique (different from factory) appearance and/or for a "perceived" improvement. The quotation mark is valid because the improvement is questionable in every single case you come across. From the point of view of the individual, who performed the customization it was most likely an improvement but for someone else it is not necessary obvious. This is especially true for appearance related modifications (the beauty is in the eye of the beholder). You may find modifications that have been later reverted by the very person, who performed and published it, so the palette is very wide and diverse. Feel free to pick and chose and if you need concrete advice/opinion, feel free to either continue the existing thread or start a new one. Good lock and happy browsing.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jt2ga65

That being said, I was hoping that people that have had the Outlander Sports would have blazed the road before me, and would have some pointers of things to add. I agree with you that no amount of electronics will replace situational awareness that all drivers need to master, but anything that helps bring extra visibility or awareness is nice to have. I almost never remember there is a back camera, as I look through the back of the car when backing up, not at the screen. It is helpful when I want to see how close I am to the front of the 4Runner, as I don't want to damage either car.
for starters, we removed the rear headrests and put them in a bag in the rear for better visibility.
we got every option except Nav and leather - wife didn't want leather ( ), and there was no Android Auto for 2015, so Google Maps on a phone was 10x better than factory nav anyway.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Landshark
for starters, we removed the rear headrests and put them in a bag in the rear for better visibility.
we got every option except Nav and leather - wife didn't want leather ( ), and there was no Android Auto for 2015, so Google Maps on a phone was 10x better than factory nav anyway.
I drove a 2019 Outlander Rental in Dallas a few weeks ago, and liked how the the read headrests could fold forward, allowing better visibility to the read. I hadn't noticed issues with visibility on the OS, but it has spend a lot of time at the dealer, and we've only put ~150 miles on it, mostly back and forth to the dealer. Dealer is not holding up their end of an agreement to repair hail damage, so we may trade it back out, and end up with a GT from a different dealer.

I have to say, though, that I really likes the OS, so we'll try to end up with one. I really liked this car, but I didn't intend to purchase a car with $8-10K or hail damage on it. The 2.4L versions are pretty darn hard to find, but I liked how well it accelerate, and was pretty quiet. I have not driven the 2.0L version, but hear that it is louder and less power.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jt2ga65
I drove a 2019 Outlander Rental in Dallas a few weeks ago, and liked how the the read headrests could fold forward, allowing better visibility to the read. I hadn't noticed issues with visibility on the OS, but it has spend a lot of time at the dealer, and we've only put ~150 miles on it, mostly back and forth to the dealer. Dealer is not holding up their end of an agreement to repair hail damage, so we may trade it back out, and end up with a GT from a different dealer.

I have to say, though, that I really likes the OS, so we'll try to end up with one. I really liked this car, but I didn't intend to purchase a car with $8-10K or hail damage on it. The 2.4L versions are pretty darn hard to find, but I liked how well it accelerate, and was pretty quiet. I have not driven the 2.0L version, but hear that it is louder and less power.
We have a GT - didn't even drive a 2.0 because she was coming from a Forester XT (turbo) and the 2.0 OS just seemed anemic on paper, and i drive it occasionally and i like a bit of power. LOL

my mom got an Eclipse Cross last year and i really like it - was a bit more than the OS being an SEL with Touring pkg, but it has a ton of nice features and is only 1.5" longer. my wife didn't want a "big boat" of an SUV - her 2005 Forester was a nice, easy to drive and park size, and even the newer Foresters had grown in size too much.