Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

Evo Purchase Concerns

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Purchase Concerns

Hello. I am getting back from deployment here pretty quick and I have done a lot of research and decided on an Evo. I just want to ask the experts what they think as far as concerns for buying one used. Since we are in the PacNor area, it's wet. How much of a concern is rusting and how common is it? How much should I trust an Evo that has been modded, if even partially? What do you guys think as far as mileage goes, what is an acceptable amount of miles without risking total meltdown? I have a budget of about 20k and am fairly sure I can get something good. I just want to make sure I know what to look for.
Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Rust isn't much of an issue here unless it was originally a Midwest or east coast car

Used is fine just make sure to get it inspected at a trusted shop

Acceptable miles I'd say 10k / year but that doesn't guarantee the car is in better shape than a 20k / year that was well taken care of
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello. I am getting back from deployment here pretty quick and I have done a lot of research and decided on an Evo. I just want to ask the experts what they think as far as concerns for buying one used. Since we are in the PacNor area, it's wet.
Englishracing is near you so at least you have a reputable shop to get work done. You can get a good EVO 8 for anywhere between 15000 to 20000, but I would recommend you stay close to 15000. As long as you know to check the tranny for how it shifts, the tranfercase for the death whine coming from the ring and pinion, the clutch for slipping. The tranny had a few problems like kicking out in fifth, but that is really not an issue. Sheptrans and TRE are great shops and do awesome rebuilds. In fact sheps rebuild is only $895 plus shipping. The transfercase had issues for two reasons. First some dumb people put the wrong fluid in it from the factory and or afterwards. You must use the approved fluid in the tranny and transfercase or the ring and pinion would get wore down and whine like crazy. Second the center diff on the the 03-04 models was an open weak diff, but the RS had a good limited slip center you just put it in for around $350. Sheps and TREs rebuild if you need a new ring and pinion and it is close to $1500 so keep that in mind when bargaining price. I have seen guys get some pretty good prices on the EVO because they knew the tranny and TC need a rebuild.

How much of a concern is rusting and how common is it? It is a little concern but nothing to major most EVO owners do take care of them. Easy to check though my car is the oldest in the states and I have no rust.

How much should I trust an Evo that has been modded, if even partially? It all depends on the level of mods and who did the work and if you can prove it. Receipts and actual conversations with the shop that did the work. Do your own investigation on all mods. All external mods are nothing really to be worried about. It is when someone has done extensive internal mods that you really need to be concerned, but you can use that as a bargaining tool.

What do you guys think as far as mileage goes, what is an acceptable amount of miles without risking total meltdown? Nothing really to much to worry about there are some EVOS with 2 or 3 hundred thousand going strong. It is really about the person and mods.

I have a budget of about 20k and am fairly sure I can get something good. I just want to make sure I know what to look for. As long as you go into it with this: I am going to rebuild the tranny for $895, rebuild the TC for $1500, and put a good clutch in it for $500 to $1700 then you will be fine. Good luck and have someone that knows EVOs or call Englishracing and maybe they can help.
Thanks

Last edited by Redbud23; Aug 3, 2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: misspeled words
Old Aug 4, 2013, 09:44 AM

So you think it would be better to stick close to the 15k mark with an expectation of work or 20k with a little bit less work?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Get one as clean and as low miles as possible, it will pay off at the end. Definitely look out of the state though, there's pretty slim pickings in WA.

The trick is finding something that hasn't been trashed. Most used Evos around here are pretty torn up from my experience. I ended up having to go to California for both my Evos, and both were killer deals and were surprisingly cherry.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you think it would be better to stick close to the 15k mark with an expectation of work or 20k with a little bit less work? That is correct. I help alot of EVO owners work on their car and it is pretty the mind set you have to have. If the tranny is good awesome! If the Transfer case is good even better!!! If the clutch is good great!!! Anything else and you are going to be disappointed. You really need to know what to look for when it comes to test driving an EVO.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 08:39 PM

Well then I guess I need some help haha
Old Aug 5, 2013, 05:59 PM

Receipts and any other form of visual proof will be key. Many people with Evos and other cars will revert to stock before selling and some of them don't even retune afterwards which is just a timebomb. Obviously mileage is going to be a factor but if it's been maintained by a reputable shop with receipts and proof than it shouldn't be a huge issue. Like Vostok said, spend the money and it will pay off in the end. The term "you get what you pay for" definitely comes into play with these cars.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Evo's are great out here, dry desert...

Check this one out

http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org/ctd/4067890053.html

Did you want an 8, 9 or 10?