EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Cobb AccessPORT (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/cobb-accessport-340/)
-   -   Cobb AP: ?s on product, features, and various maps incl Perrin maps go here [merge] (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/cobb-accessport/401137-cobb-ap-s-product-features-various-maps-incl-perrin-maps-go-here-merge.html)

EvoG8r Feb 27, 2009 11:15 AM

I look forward to getting mine tomorrow morning at Cobb Plano

HybridKOOP Feb 27, 2009 12:19 PM

Will COBB AP benefit my setup?

Relatively speaking, I'm somewhat new to the Mitsubishi scene. I have a very good background with Honda/Acura stuff, and can build bottom ends, do minor tuning w/ Hondata, etc.

I guess you could say this question is for the advanced people on this board...

First, here is my setup:

2008 EVO X GSR
AMS UICP, intake, test-pipe, cat-back exhaust

I baselined the car on a Mustang 500 SE before installting the mentioned parts. The car put down 215whp, 257wtq.

After adding the bolton mods, I re-dyno'd, same day, and made 282whp, 302wtq.

Obviously, my car was leaned out automatically by the combination in mods that I installed. I went from just above 10.0:1 to around 11.8:1 through most of the powerband, and I also picked up a pound or so of boost... but here's my question:

In my opinion, the big gains in the EVO X market have either come from the addition of bolton parts (like mine) that artificially lean the car out... OR, you install something like an AccessPort to lean the car out and pick up good gains.

WHAT IF you do both? Meaning... For $695, should I expect little to no gains over the stock tune since I've already "cashed in" on my +67whp gains from the bolton parts?

I'm currently waiting on AMS to release their o2/downpipe. After that is installed, I planned to add the AccessPort to pickup anything else remaining on the plate. What do you guys think? What have you seen? Decent gains even WITH boltons on the car? Any inputs appreciated.

FWIW, we have 93 octane here in Connecticut, so I'd imagine I can pick up a few ponies with a degree or two of timing.

Thanks guys!

- Louis

goofygrin Feb 27, 2009 12:33 PM

I have similar mods, but a high flow cat instead of the test pipe and I still have the stock UICP. I have a turbo back exhaust including the o2 housing.

Here's what a custom stage 2 AccessPort dyno tuning netted me (interesting that you have almost EXACTLY the same no-tune dyno numbers that I had):

http://mpghead.com/evo/dyno_tune.jpg

So 21hp and 37ftlb tq.

Rob@cobbtuning Feb 27, 2009 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by HybridKOOP (Post 6748016)
Relatively speaking, I'm somewhat new to the Mitsubishi scene. I have a very good background with Honda/Acura stuff, and can build bottom ends, do minor tuning w/ Hondata, etc.

I guess you could say this question is for the advanced people on this board...

First, here is my setup:

2008 EVO X GSR
AMS UICP, intake, test-pipe, cat-back exhaust

I baselined the car on a Mustang 500 SE before installting the mentioned parts. The car put down 215whp, 257wtq.

After adding the bolton mods, I re-dyno'd, same day, and made 282whp, 302wtq.

Obviously, my car was leaned out automatically by the combination in mods that I installed. I went from just above 10.0:1 to around 11.8:1 through most of the powerband, and I also picked up a pound or so of boost... but here's my question:

In my opinion, the big gains in the EVO X market have either come from the addition of bolton parts (like mine) that artificially lean the car out... OR, you install something like an AccessPort to lean the car out and pick up good gains.

WHAT IF you do both? Meaning... For $695, should I expect little to no gains over the stock tune since I've already "cashed in" on my +67whp gains from the bolton parts?

I'm currently waiting on AMS to release their o2/downpipe. After that is installed, I planned to add the AccessPort to pickup anything else remaining on the plate. What do you guys think? What have you seen? Decent gains even WITH boltons on the car? Any inputs appreciated.

FWIW, we have 93 octane here in Connecticut, so I'd imagine I can pick up a few ponies with a degree or two of timing.

Thanks guys!

- Louis

Hey Louis,

You will definitely pick up some power as well as smooth out the power band and over all drive-ability. What intake are you running? To be quite honest your AFRs are a bit on the lean side.

Thanks,

HybridKOOP Feb 27, 2009 12:40 PM

Wow, what a great comparison! It looks like our baselines were within 5whp of eachother! Can't ever go wrong with Mustang Dynos...

Here's my stock vs. bolt-on runs:

http://www.hybridkoop.com/images/lou_evo10.jpg

- Louis {thumbup}

goofygrin Feb 27, 2009 12:42 PM

Louis, resize that image...it's ginormous!

HybridKOOP Feb 27, 2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by goofygrin (Post 6748101)
Louis, resize that image...it's ginormous!

WHOA, working on it right now, sorry about that!

Tunerhead Feb 27, 2009 01:59 PM

Good question! I will be running a similiar setup come summertime and wanted to know how well AP would benefit my boltons as well. {thumbup}

*subscribed*

JoeyM3 Feb 27, 2009 02:46 PM

mods are in my sig, i netted about 40whp with a custom tune, i forget how much tq. but i hope to pump out some more hp when i get my injectors and fuelpump installed. i'm pretty sure with a custom tune you will for sure gain a lot more power!

shyong Feb 27, 2009 04:16 PM

interesting...I'll be getting my car tuned next week with Cobb in Plano. I'll have the following mods for reference.

T1R tbe incl o2 housing dp and test pipe
T1R uicp and licp
AGP fmic
Works drop in filter
tuned with Accessport

I'm curious as to what it'll yield with a custom tune. never baselined the car so I won't know what the actual gain will be. however, I'll just estimate with what people are putting down on an average stock x.

Methodical4u Feb 28, 2009 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by CmakEVOX (Post 6741814)
I am pretty much sold in getting the Cobb AP. I hear lots of good things about it and started a savings fund/jar already.

My question is, can the Cobb AP be bad for newbies to engine tuning/flashing? Can the Cobb AP do major damage to the car if not used properly? Sorry for the newb question, but i just wanted to see what the cons are since there are so many pros.

If you have no other mods and keep the car at stage 1 the only damage that could be done would be done by you. The cars fuel cut at 7500 rpm? 7200? Something like that keeps the motor from going up. The car is made to be driven hard ( in the proper location ). Running it to redline everytime you shift may wear it out faster... but as far as the AP stage 1 no it won't hurt it.

skywalker Feb 28, 2009 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by CmakEVOX (Post 6741814)
I am pretty much sold in getting the Cobb AP. I hear lots of good things about it and started a savings fund/jar already.

My question is, can the Cobb AP be bad for newbies to engine tuning/flashing? Can the Cobb AP do major damage to the car if not used properly? Sorry for the newb question, but i just wanted to see what the cons are since there are so many pros.

do it imo that is the best choice you could make. No worries about not using it properly you really can't screw it up.....well maybe you can but you woul dhave to try really hard. Very easy install, and with the current updates it takes a total of maybe 3 mins to transform your mild manner X into a beast.

Excalibur Mar 1, 2009 10:00 AM

Nice review. I wonder if I should just get this or try ecuflash or ecutek.

Methodical4u Mar 1, 2009 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 6753912)
Nice review. I wonder if I should just get this or try ecuflash or ecutek.

There's a lot of info about those on here as well, read up for yourself and see what is best. I myself only considered either of those for a very short time, but I know very little about tuning and would rather have the maps set up for me to just plug and play. There is a lot more involved with the others and more knowledge is needed, but hey, if you have the time and want to make the effort then go for it. I'm happy with the choice I made though.

scottatyamaha Mar 4, 2009 01:02 PM

Hows that update coming along?