Notices

Cobb AP: ?s on product, features, and various maps incl Perrin maps go here [merge]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobb AP: ?s on product, features, and various maps incl Perrin maps go here [merge]

Ok so I have read about the AP and wanted to know if it flashes the ECU then how is it that it is undetectable after it is unmarried. Wouldn't the flash count increase? So wouldn't this be the same as other flashes? I am new to AP thats why I am a little confused to what actually takes place and why its better than a flash (only in the respect NOT the fact that you can do it yourself and everything else.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Currently there is no proof that a flash counter even exists in the ECU.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Are the guys who are making ecuflash saying that there is evidence that a flash count is there? This may make sense. Isn't there a mechanic on here that works for mitsu that could tell us? It really shouldn't be that hard to find out this secret. If nobody knows and nobody checks then whats the point of having one.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

I think the farthest they've delved into it indicated that there wasn't a "flash counter". However, if you don't have a stock map, they could notice that the checksum was different. But seriously, even in that case they would have to be overly observant.

I think if you are removing the AP before servicing, it will be as "stock" to the dealership as one that has just rolled off the truck. Besides, it's not like they take your car away from you if they discover it. The warranty is questionable at best and it's really not the end of the world if it gets pulled. Pay to play.

(Note that I don't actually have any evidence to back any of this up, just observations thus far.)

Enjoy your AP! Are you looking forward to RaceSoftware?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

I don't currently have an AP, I was just looking into it as it seems like it will be the 2nd best choice. If my first choice isn't released soon then I will more than likely get this.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Gotcha.

I'm hanging around waiting for EcuFlash, but I'm certainly not in any rush. However, the AP is a wicked alternative, since it too will have the capability to self tune (eventually).
Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

ya Ecuflash is my 1st choice.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

The Cobb AccessPort does not affect any flash count nor there's any evidence there is a counter. When the AccessPort is unmarried, it goes back to the exact state the ECU was in before the AccessPort was installed.

Cheers
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Doesn't the Cobb AP lock the ECU? If so that's an easy way for a dealer to detect a tuned ECU if you forget to go back to stock before taking the car in.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

from what i understand, the cobb AP doesn't lock the ecu if you are doing it yourself. the AP locks to your ecu. if you go to a tuner to have them make u a custom AP map, the tuner has the option to lock the map to your AP so you can't go sharing it. if I'm wrong, correct me.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

I know WORKS locks the ECU and I'm almost positive the OTS maps from the AP lock the ECU too.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
COBB AP and OBDII code U0184

I have OBD II code of U0184 display on the AP with text that says "AIRBAG" However, when I lookup that code it seems to be a standard code for "LOST COMMUNICATION WITH RADIO"

Is the AP text wrong?

BTW, I have not done anything with either the radio or the airbags. I did unplug and re-plug the sub-woofer, but certainly the CAN would not pick that up?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

The CAN also interacts with the radio (sub, amp, etc). From what I can see, U0184 is indeed a radio fault code.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cobb AP: Customer reviews/questions on product, features, and various maps [merge]

I received my AP yesterday, and after getting in the house and getting settled I opened it up... wow, it's a little thing was my first thought lol. Good things sometimes come in small packages however and this was no exception. I read the installation instructions a few times all the way through to make sure there wasn't going to be some little thing that I missed that happened to be the most important thing to do. Finally I head out to my garage with the instructions and follow them word for word, no problem with the installation, I then go upstairs and get the software installed on my comp, and get all of the current updates. By this time it's begun to rain a little and the deer around here are horrible, so I had to be patient and wait until today. I wake up and it's pouring however. Mixing between snow, rain, and sleet, so my fiancee' and I just sort of sit around the house. She goes to work and I look outside a few more times, it has finally stopped raining and the wind has picked up a bit which means it should be fairly dry soon. My friend stops by and I ask him if he wants to go for a ride with me to test the flash out.

First drive: Though the roads are still a bit wet, i'm tired of waiting and decide to go out. I start the car, let it warm up for a minute or 2 and then slowly drive out of my neighborhood. I make a left out of there and ask my friend if he's ready " yep " ooook... and BAM!! lol I hit the gas and at around 3300 rpm's all 4 tires break loose because of the roads being wet, naturally however with the X's set up I have no need to worry and just continue to hold the gas down as it straightens itself right up, my inital thought is like others ... wow! It's once again 4G63 ish in it's acceleration now, only difference is the power doesn't fall off at 5500-6000 rpms like the stock Evo IX. As the stock set up pulls all the way to redline, also does Cobb's stage 1 flash, but with much more authority. I turn and get onto a main road that is much smoother and nail the gas again... again the wheels break loose.. a bit less this time as the tires have probably gotten a little heat in them... I shift to second and before I even realize it.. it's a bit over redline, i'm a bit over 60 mph, and the fuel cut kicks in... now I know what that feels like at least lol. Being as i'm on the street, at night with other cars around and trees that a deer could jump out from behind at any time I don't take the car over about 80 mph and that was only for a second. My last car was the 06 Evo RS with a TBE, LICP and works drop in. This car is now feels ( to me )every bit as fast as that was with just this flash, added weight and all, and we are talking the 300 lbs heavier the car is from the GSR, plus the what? 100-150 lbs lighter that the RS was, so with a 400 lb lighter car I am having the same results.

Without having tried other tuning options I cannot speak from experience when it comes to comparing. I can say however that just the little bit of driving I have done has told me that I made the right choice. The set-up is SUPER easy, I already had good experiences with asking Rob questions before I ordered and he always responded quickly, the car has responded phenomenally to the flash. Yes, there are tuners you can go to and get a lot more power from, then again I can do that with this too with a protuner, but until then I can flash to stage 1, flash to fuel econ mode when I want to save some gas, flash back to stock if I need to go to the dealer, disable the car if i'm in a bad part of town, cut the rpm's to 4500 in valet mode if someone else has to drive my car such as a shop where they may tend to want to see what your car's got... all of these tools make the AP a safe, reliable, fun, easy to use little piece of equipment. I must say i'm happy with it. I look forward to later on getting an exhaust and such and moving to the stage 2 map.

I will also be trying the fuel econ mode and letting everyone know what differences I see, since I myself had asked about it and have seen others ask the same thing.

So far on stock set-up driving from my sisters house to home I got 25.2 mpg combined. That so far was my best

I again drove to the same place last week and got 23.6 mpg, but did a bit more city driving, this was also there and back. I just thought I would make a record of this now in case I forget lol.

Hope this helps someone else make their decision, I think anyone would be happy with it. More to come later!

Last edited by Methodical4u; Feb 19, 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

impressive! i'm planning to get one. BTW, do you have any mods besides the AP? how do you add more MAPS to it? sorry fellas i'm new to this..... please bear with me

Quick Reply: Cobb AP: ?s on product, features, and various maps incl Perrin maps go here [merge]