EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient fix? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/364161-p0401-egr-flow-insufficient-fix.html)

1NastyMR Aug 28, 2008 02:11 AM

go to autozone get their skanner and delete the codes..

SixOneNine Aug 28, 2008 05:21 AM

Simply resetting the ecu won't solve it if there is a hose that's disconnected. The code will come up again if that's the case. Also if you have a laptop and tactrix cable, you can download scantech on aktivematrix.com for free instead of buying a scanner. It works fine.

Hope this pic helps. Usually the hose pointing towards the passenger side is the one that pops off..
http://i34.tinypic.com/287lkkm.jpg

evanstonevo Aug 31, 2008 10:22 PM

Fabulous! I love the thread and the diagram. Exactly what I was looking for!

stockEvoIX Oct 15, 2008 11:32 PM

It feels like my hoses are still connected. Any idea what else it could be? Should I replace the EGR valve?

fyreant Nov 28, 2008 10:23 AM

did you ever get an answer to this? i might be in the same boat.. :(

MrEvo2nv Nov 28, 2008 01:58 PM

I had the same problem. All hoses on and new egr and new egr solinod put on and hoses double checked and replaced to make sure none was leaking. Ended up being the egr port in the head was totaly clogged. fixed it by egr block off and disabled my egr check in the ecu so now the ecu thinks there is no egr anymore. problem fixed.

NocturnalEVO Mar 8, 2009 03:15 PM

what exactly is the EGR? and wat does it do?

pro's/con's of disabling it?

Zeppelin_of_Led Oct 22, 2009 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO (Post 6784053)
what exactly is the EGR? and wat does it do?

pro's/con's of disabling it?

those questions plus.. how do you disable it?

jmelocik Oct 23, 2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zeppelin_of_Led (Post 7642260)
those questions plus.. how do you disable it?

Search the ECUFlash forum on here. In the mean time check this thread out:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...imination.html

Josh
:usflag:

ricardomotohead Oct 26, 2009 10:41 PM

I just experienced this code P0401, is there a specific time where this normally happens? any specific driving style or milage this normally occurs? my EVO VIII 03 has 75k miles on it, and I was looking forward to smog this week, but clearing the code might not necessary mean I'll pass smog, since once the code is clear it also clears all the driving records and prob end up in failure of a smog test, due to this system. Any inputs, besides actually getting it fix before my smog?

Thanks

ch53avitech Oct 26, 2009 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by ricardomotohead (Post 7655186)
I just experienced this code P0401, is there a specific time where this normally happens? any specific driving style or milage this normally occurs? my EVO VIII 03 has 75k miles on it, and I was looking forward to smog this week, but clearing the code might not necessary mean I'll pass smog, since once the code is clear it also clears all the driving records and prob end up in failure of a smog test, due to this system. Any inputs, besides actually getting it fix before my smog?

Thanks

I was doing a pull on some back roads when this code came up.

Honestly, you don't even need an EGR valve. You can find the EGR elimination patch in the ECU Flash forum. I did it after blowing that hose several times while doing pulls. I have my EGR valve disconnected now. I'm just waiting for the time to get a block off plate so I can remove my EGR valve. The patch works flawlessly.

ricardomotohead Oct 27, 2009 01:02 AM

how about taking your car to get smog, will the patch simulate the cycles that the ECU might trigger the EGR to work when need it? that is my main concern, since I live in california, their smog rules are a pain in the ass. I wish this code woulda pop next week, or I wish I smogged my car last week, where I wouldn't care to run my car with the light on at all times LOL (jk, I would definitely fix it but not in such a rush)

ch53avitech Oct 27, 2009 01:29 AM

Well, just to pass the smog test I'll reset the ECU. I did that when I went in for inspection.

Someone told me that all I have to do is unplug my battery to get the check engine light to turn off then drive the car for ~40-50 miles then that will clear all previous CELS that you had. I was skeptical at first until I found out for myself that it actually works. Anyone else care to chime in on this trick? I forgot exactly how many miles you have to drive the car before your CELS are cleared.

Then when your smog check is all said and done, get on that EGR patch. It'll save you headaches in the future.

srcevo8 Nov 11, 2009 04:57 PM

Driving around for around 20 mins seems to do the trick for me.

Thanks for posting that pic. I just walked out to my car and took care of this in < 5 mins.

It was tough to reach but even with the strutbar on you can get back there. A tip I would add is that the 2 little hoses (for me) were teathered together. So if you see (yeah right lol) or feel any thin hose follow it. They're almost dead center between the driver and passenger sides but more towards the driver.

EVO_MERLE Nov 11, 2009 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by NJ_evoIXgsr (Post 6017179)
I searched and saw the fix was to check for a loose hose. is there anything else anyone can suggest? I have not really noticed a lose in power. I don't beat or go hard on it. Pretty much babied so I can't tell if there's a drop in power.

I had this CEL. It was a vacume hose on the bottom of the RGE valve under your throttle body. Slip it back on and put a zip tie on it and mine was fixed. Hope that is all you need to do.