Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

2.3L GT3076Build

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
pic of mine when it was still on the stand

Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm just putting in new valve springs for piece of mind since my car has 100K on it. I'll give it a light port and polish while I'm in there but I'm not doing bigger valves. I'm not looking to set any records or maximize the potential of every single part. That costs too much money. I'm looking to balance the power-to-money-spent ratio. At some point the graph of money vs power really starts to flatten out and you put lots of $$$ in for small gains in certain areas. I'm trying to stay in the steep area of the graph.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
pic of mine when it was still on the stand
Are you running the stock ECU?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2@[BINARY]
Are you running the stock ECU?
yes, it seems to be taking the stroker well so far. we'll see when the tune is done
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just putting in new valve springs for piece of mind since my car has 100K on it. I'll give it a light port and polish while I'm in there but I'm not doing bigger valves. I'm not looking to set any records or maximize the potential of every single part. That costs too much money. I'm looking to balance the power-to-money-spent ratio. At some point the graph of money vs power really starts to flatten out and you put lots of $$$ in for small gains in certain areas. I'm trying to stay in the steep area of the graph.
neat idea, I'd like to see that graph! Should also analyze fun vs. time.

I'm working on a avg. lap time vs. fiance happynes plotted on time. Might convert to a bode plot.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
yes, it seems to be taking the stroker well so far. we'll see when the tune is done
What did you do in terms of balancing the rotating assembly, balance shafts etc? My plan is to have the rotating assembly balanced, modify the large balance shaft to keep the bearing support for the oil pump, and then use the Fluidamper to smooth it all out. I think all that together should help the stock ECU deal with the built long stroke action.

EvolvedMR, your graph of laptime vs finance happiness has another factor - size of engagement ring .

I'm no expert, but I consider things like: massive head work, intake manifolds, throttle bodies, twin scroll exhaust manifolds, twin scroll turbine housings, and the "newest" over priced turbo to be in the realm of "past the hump" on the money to power graph. Then again I know I'm telling myself that for a reason - so I can justify not buying them. I need to buy a plasma cutter and a milling machine before I need an intake manifold and fully built head - that I know for sure.

Last edited by jid2; Aug 14, 2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
I had the same oil leak. Engine build threads are the best!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

What did you do in terms of balancing the rotating assembly, balance shafts etc? My plan is to have the rotating assembly balanced, modify the large balance shaft to keep the bearing support for the oil pump, and then use the Fluidamper to smooth it all out. I think all that together should help the stock ECU deal with the built long stroke action.
its a JAM stage 2 block so it has the balance shafts that have been turned down for clearance and it was balanced as a complete rotating assembly. im also using a fluidampr to help keep the engine as quiet as possible.

so far, so good
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Nice. Sounds like what I've got planned as well.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
nice build.

I cant wait to put a big motor in my evo too.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

I was waiting to see what you would do with that turbo. GL!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sem23tex
I was waiting to see what you would do with that turbo. GL!
It was collecting dust pretty reliably while I was buying parts for a few months!

I'm going to do a quick test fit of the manifold and turbo so I can plan out my radiator and intercooler concept. I'll snap a pic of that.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

looks like an awesome setup.....
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

good luck with everything, there is a lot of good info here to assist you with assembling the motor. also the service manual is your friend too. I think getting the head totally worked over in your case (100k miles) would be worth it. But hey, if you can getaway with it, more power to ya. Your setup looks like it will be awsome!

I'm waiting on my head to be done with the porting/valve job for my 2.0 build I have been doing in my garage/ and at work. I wish I could have justified not porting the head because of time and money, but I think once I slap it back on and get it running I won't regret it.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Food for thought,

Gt3076r put down 433awhp on pump gas on a stock motor 2.0 , stock ecu, 1000cc injectors on my car. Keep in mind that my car had a stock im/tb , cat. convertor, and boost leaks so bad the tester wouldn't hold past 7psi.

This turbo on a 2.3 should easily get you the power/response that you are looking for on pump-- fair to say 475-500 dynojet on pump is possible with AEM.

Gamebred put down 424hp on a stock ix/stock ecu on pump as well.

Quick Reply: 2.3L GT3076Build