Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

2.3L GT3076Build

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2.3L GT3076Build

Well after having a little oil leak from my head for the past 2 years (ARP head stud install without removing the head - FTL!), I'm pulling the head to fix that and decided why not just redo everything. The car has about 100K miles on it right now as it's been my daily driver with a nearly 100 mile commute. I do strictly road racing type of stuff with my car, no drag racing, so I'm looking for lots of torque, good spool-up and I'm not planning on revving past around 7800 RPM. I've always wanted to do a 2.3L and considered a stock-based turbo like a green, but they are super expensive, hard to get and I'm afraid run out of top end on a stroker. So a GT3076 seemed like a perfect fit. We'll see I guess. I got a great deal on one from somebody here.

So I've been ordering parts for a few months and procrastinating doing any actual work. Well last weekend I finally got started.

Ready to DO WORK, hood off and lots of stuff to unscrew.

White Trash temporary parts storage area. I should water my lawn more!

Pretty much everything disconnected from the engine. Just need to unbolt the AC compressor and power steering pump. Unhook the T-Case and pull that thing out. Should have the motor out this weekend and start stripping it down to go to the machine shop.

I'll be interested to see the inside of the motor after 100K and see the stock clutch as well.

Here's my pile of parts. Whenever I think I'm just about there I realize I still need something. Like the ARP main bolts I remembered I still need to order today I'm piecing together the turbo kit myself and still need a waste gate, oil lines, and parts to fab an O2 housing. I'm also looking at doing a side-by-side radiator and vertical flow intercooler, all of which I'll fab myself with uber short IC piping.

I think I have enough stickers to cover a butt-rocker nova station wagon with a 454 in it

Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL with the build man. Compression will be?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

GL my firend, and keep us posted with your build
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:24 AM
Evolved Member

so many stickers
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

the 30R will run out on top end on the stroker just like the green.

its still a very very sweet setup for daily driving having the tq always there is really a nice feeling, enjoy and good luck.

You can expect 500/500 out of it on race gas and high boost, 400/350 or so on pump gas.

Scorke
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
you have virtually the same set up as me, down to the turbo kit
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:30 AM
Account Disabled

If you got the Eagle stroker kit that came with clevite main bearings, make sure they are the correct bearings. Eagle sent me 1g main bearings instead of Evo bearings. When I called and asked them to send me the correct bearings, they said that they didn't have any and didn't realize there was a difference between the 2. I ended up having to get cosworth bearings instead. Good luck!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like a great build. I like your work very simple and right to the point.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What manifold is that? I take it you are removing the balance shafts?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
you have virtually the same set up as me, down to the turbo kit
Yeah I saw some posts you made a while back and said to myself "we are doing about the same build". The best part is the picture for your avatar.... I have the same one, I took this about 2 months ago when the turbo and pistons showed up UPS at work!

How far along are you? Are you done?

Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like fun

GL with the build and keep us updated with pictures!!!

Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mixmastermatt
If you got the Eagle stroker kit that came with clevite main bearings, make sure they are the correct bearings. Eagle sent me 1g main bearings instead of Evo bearings. When I called and asked them to send me the correct bearings, they said that they didn't have any and didn't realize there was a difference between the 2. I ended up having to get cosworth bearings instead. Good luck!
I pieced everything together myself, I ordered everything as 7-bolt EVO specific but I haven't even got around to test fitting the bearings on the rods and crank yet. Bearings are ACL.

Compression is standard 9:1.

Manifold is a RNR ramhorn that I scored on e-bizzle for $200.

I'm going to remove the stubby balance shaft and I'm going to turn down the large one for clearance on a lathe. I'll basically be doing what AMS sells as their race motor balance shaft, or what JAM does in their strokers. I actually asked JAM to sell me their stroker specific balance shafts because I feel they are the correct solution, but they wouldn't. Maybe I'll offer them myself once I finish mine!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jid2@[BINARY]
Yeah I saw some posts you made a while back and said to myself "we are doing about the same build". The best part is the picture for your avatar.... I have the same one, I took this about 2 months ago when the turbo and pistons showed up UPS at work!

How far along are you? Are you done?

im very very close, im actually done with the breakin and it should be tuned next week

im gonna make a post about my build after its done
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

I LOVE my setup. I am running a similar setup like yours and Scorke's. A lil other mod's in addition to. Im hoping on race (or meth) to break the 500/500 mark. Are you building the head too?

Quick Reply: 2.3L GT3076Build