Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

MAP Stage 2 LR 2.4L Build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tiggeryellow1
Solid!!! I appreciate your attention to detail and willingness to do whatever it takes to achieve act right bro. Soooooo many of our evo family members in here go out of their way to sacrifice driveability and the other things that made the EVO an awesome car to own chasing big HP #'s. I mean that's cool if that's your thing but in the end of the day if the car is NO fun to drive (unless your doing 160mph) and beyond that in regular everyday traffic it just doesn't act right (idles like crap, is a b!t#h to start from a stop light, acceleration under normal conditions suks) what's the point right? JMHO, but I think you are of that same mindset yea. Please continue as I am over here taking notes. I am about to drop the motor/tranny out of my car to address some leaks and some other stock components that need to be modified.
Thanks for the kind words, man. And you're completely right. I'm building this car to be FUN and FUNCTIONAL. I want a torquey car that will rip apart most other cars on the street, but still be completely driveable in traffic and driving across the country.

Most importantly, I'm building the car to my liking. Thus, a power number is completely irrelevant as I don't need people to congratulate me on making "X" amount of power.

Good luck on your build as well good sir
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Mil Spec Throttle Body Seals and refurbishing the TB, which is indeed a 65mm ported piece:

Dirty:

Old seals:

New seals:

Clean and apart:

Clean and reassembled:

STM Fuel Pump Rewire:

STM Valve Cover Fitting:

Energy Suspension Bushing Kit:

Most importantly, a clean engine bay!!!!!

Last edited by Blue91lx; Mar 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great so far man! Definitely following this build closely. And like tigger said, I LOVE the fact that your making a fun realistic daily drivable evo not just some 8xx hp beast that can't even make it to the gas station without breaking something or just being plain annoying to drive in traffic. Looking forward to more detailed updates. WELL DONE SIR!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue91lx
Thanks for the kind words, man. And you're completely right. I'm building this car to be FUN and FUNCTIONAL. I want a torquey car that will rip apart most other cars on the street, but still be completely driveable in traffic and driving across the country.

Most importantly, I'm building the car to my liking. Thus, a power number is completely irrelevant as I don't need people to congratulate me on making "X" amount of power.

Good luck on your build as well good sir
CHEERS BRO!!!

And I am officially using that from now on... F&F (FUN and FUNCTIONAL), that's real talk and what it's all about in the end of the day.

Last edited by tiggeryellow1; Mar 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Solid!!! I appreciate your attention to detail and willingness to do whatever it takes to achieve act right bro. Soooooo many of our evo family members in here go out of their way to sacrifice driveability and the other things that made the EVO an awesome car to own chasing big HP #'s. I mean that's cool if that's your thing but in the end of the day if the car is NO fun to drive (unless your doing 160mph) and beyond that in regular everyday traffic it just doesn't act right (idles like crap, is a b!t#h to start from a stop light, acceleration under normal conditions suks) what's the point right? JMHO, but I think you are of that same mindset yea. Please continue as I am over here taking notes. I am about to drop the motor/tranny out of my car to address some leaks and some other stock components that need to be modified.
So true man! We can all get caught up in chassing the HP game, but in the end get away from what really make these Evos amazing! keep up the good work man, and good luck with the XI 9 turbo on that, should be nuts!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by uvambo
So true man! We can all get caught up in chassing the HP game, but in the end get away from what really make these Evos amazing! keep up the good work man, and good luck with the XI 9 turbo on that, should be nuts!
Thanks man! Again, I appreciate it.

It better be a fun car!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Indeed so keep us up to date on progresses... BTW, Subscribed!!!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Indeed so keep us up to date on progresses... BTW, Subscribed!!!
I spent half of my day yesterday making my T-Stat housing pretty, so not too many new updates.

Also, are you guys thinking white for the harness bar?

Also, I bought caliper paint for my Brembos, as well as new hi-temp stickers, so I'll be refinishing them as well.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

on your harness bar i like the black contrast with the Apex silver evos. But black might not be your thing, white or dark graphite grey could be sweet too(kinda just like what the stock strut tower bar looks like)

Last edited by uvambo; Mar 16, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by uvambo
on your harness bar i like the black contrast with the Apex silver evos. But black might not be your thing, white or dark graphite grey could be sweet too(kinda just like what the stock strut tower bar looks like)
I was either thinking white or graphite grey. I'll be ordering an AutoPower Cage when summer rolls around, so the paint on the harness bar isn't too crucial. In fact, I may just sell it and put that money towards the Cage.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

I decided today that I'm going to run the STM T-Stat housing and weld a -12an fitting on my Evo VI Koyo and run a stainless braided upper coolant line. Shouldn't cost me too much more than buying new Rad Pipes, and should look pretty rad (no pun intended).

Example:

I now have my semi-final parts list for the build, too:

-Fuel Rail (Haven't decided on brand)
-FIC 1680cc Injectors (Hi-Z)
-T-Case rebuild from TRE
-Koyo VI Rad
-JMF Catch Can
-JMF Coolant Overflow
-60K Maintenance Kit for 4g64
-STM EGR Blockoff Plate

I'm really looking for ideas on how to run my catch can lines. I have one fitting for the back of the valve cover, but don't know where to run the other line. I was thinking maybe the STM Vented Dipstick, but I'm completely open to ideas.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Blue91lx; Mar 16, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's always the balance shaft inspection hole...

BTW the *** end of ur car is pretty sexy, makes those 7 tails look appealing
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmcmill3
There's always the balance shaft inspection hole...

BTW the *** end of ur car is pretty sexy, makes those 7 tails look appealing
I thought about that, except it's in the front of the motor under the turbo, which is potentially a pain in the ***, and will be a pain in the *** to run braided line, as I'm mounting the catch can on the back of the intake manifold, ya know?

And thanks, man! I love the back end of the car. I think the VII tails pull everything together. Definitely happy with the exterior/interior.

The previous owner neglected the drivetrain and spent all of his money on the interior and exterior. Luckily I have the opposite interests .
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

yo buddy who da hells dat guy pullin your block out over there... real gay build tho IMHO LOL... haha jk well be doing the long block in a month or so
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

yo buddy real weird who told you to run that stm housing

Quick Reply: MAP Stage 2 LR 2.4L Build