Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

05 Evo 8 daily, autocross car.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I feel soooo much better right now. Was just talking to my buddy (tuner) and he reminded me that I would have no chance in hell passing inspection with IX ECU. I completely forgot about this and I have 2 more years before being emissions exempt here in MA. A few years ago my car was flagged and I had to jump through hoops to get them to lift the big R on my windshield. Somehow they smartened up and noticed that I had an inconsistent ROM ID as I was running a Euro Rom.

Sorry to derail your thread Sean. Either way good luck with this and look forward to seeing where you end up as it comes together.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 02:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by badev0
I liked those Konig wheels! Did they require spacers?
Neither set of Konig's I've had on the car needed spacers for caliper clearance. The 18's with 265's though, I do run a 10mm front spacer to give the tire more room from the strut.

Originally Posted by heel2toe
I feel soooo much better right now. Was just talking to my buddy (tuner) and he reminded me that I would have no chance in hell passing inspection with IX ECU. I completely forgot about this and I have 2 more years before being emissions exempt here in MA. A few years ago my car was flagged and I had to jump through hoops to get them to lift the big R on my windshield. Somehow they smartened up and noticed that I had an inconsistent ROM ID as I was running a Euro Rom.

Sorry to derail your thread Sean. Either way good luck with this and look forward to seeing where you end up as it comes together.
The poor house with a fast car is where I'm going to end up

It should be fine to pass smog here. Just need to flash my VIN to the ECU. If the ROM ID thing comes up, you can just change the ROM ID in ECU flash...
Old Mar 6, 2018, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Yes, but is the driver fast!?

I wish it were that easy. What I know is I used to be able to pass fine and then they caught on and now I have a "MA inspection tune" which uses the 05 9694011 ROM ID. I hope to never get flagged again that was the worst. But Im not sure how they are even seeing the ROM IDs but I can't run an 05 ROM on an IX ECU.

I haven't looked into this in a while but Im pretty sure the 05 ROM is the worst bc it takes up too much space hence why when running Tephra V7 you end up using a different ROM. Either way your build is going to be epic Im excited to see it progress. Maybe one of these days Ill create a build thread too and you know, take pictures and stuff
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Pictures are finally working. KABOOM lol
Attached Thumbnails 05 Evo 8 daily, autocross car.-photo431.jpg   05 Evo 8 daily, autocross car.-photo331.jpg   05 Evo 8 daily, autocross car.-photo472.jpg   05 Evo 8 daily, autocross car.-photo817.jpg  
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:36 PM
EvoM Guru

And the 9 head I snagged for a steal.
Attached Thumbnails 05 Evo 8 daily, autocross car.-photo208.jpg  
Old Mar 9, 2018, 01:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
I can't wait to see the parts rolling in for this build. A better rod ratio among the strokers and the Mivec head. Subscribed for Sean to show us the right way to build a 4g64!
The following users liked this post:
LetsGetThisDone (Mar 9, 2018)
Old Mar 20, 2018, 07:07 PM
EvoM Guru

All the boost.
Attached Thumbnails 05 Evo 8 daily, autocross car.-photo213.jpg  
Old Mar 20, 2018, 07:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
I can't wait to see the parts rolling in for this build. A better rod ratio among the strokers and the Mivec head. Subscribed for Sean to show us the right way to build a 4g64!
Parts are rolling!!!!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 06:58 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
ouch, sorry to see this happened to you. Looks like you have a solid plan though and it wont become some 5+ year project to get back on the road. So for your mivec conversion, are you planning on replacing the main harness, or just buying the necessary connectors, wiring them up and re-pinning the ecu connectors? If its the ladder i found this site which seems to have a good assortment of OEM connectors http://www.ohm-racing.com/?product_c...rs-evo-viii-ix also Im pretty sure spoolinup could get you the connectors.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 07:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
ouch, sorry to see this happened to you. Looks like you have a solid plan though and it wont become some 5+ year project to get back on the road. So for your mivec conversion, are you planning on replacing the main harness, or just buying the necessary connectors, wiring them up and re-pinning the ecu connectors? If its the ladder i found this site which seems to have a good assortment of OEM connectors http://www.ohm-racing.com/?product_c...rs-evo-viii-ix also Im pretty sure spoolinup could get you the connectors.
Yeah, the plan was kind of already in place to rebuild it this year. So it just sucks I had to get a block. Not really a big deal. Hoping the head and valvetrain are OK so I can resell them.

I'm just changing the engine harness, the one that goes through firewall by. the tcase. From what I've gathered it's the only one that needs changed, and the harness just plugs in under the dash? I haven't read anything where guys had to change connectors. Granted, there's very little info out there. My car being an '05 with ACD at least makes it closer to a 9. Hoping nothing needs to be reppinned. But it's not a huge deal if it comes to that.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Yeah, the plan was kind of already in place to rebuild it this year. So it just sucks I had to get a block. Not really a big deal. Hoping the head and valvetrain are OK so I can resell them.

I'm just changing the engine harness, the one that goes through firewall by. the tcase. From what I've gathered it's the only one that needs changed, and the harness just plugs in under the dash? I haven't read anything where guys had to change connectors. Granted, there's very little info out there. My car being an '05 with ACD at least makes it closer to a 9. Hoping nothing needs to be reppinned. But it's not a huge deal if it comes to that.
I hear yah, with 160k on the clock i have been looking for an excuse to pull the trigger on a rebuild. I'm not sure its as easy as a sub harness swap, but ill go through the factory wiring diagrams later and see whats up. I do know from working on the fuel pump wiring that there are some differences between the 8 and 9 ecu pinout of misc. devices, so if you stick with the 8 main harness and 9 ecu you will have to move some stuff around in the connectors to the ecu. As far as new connectors go though, I figure there is at least gonna be the new connector and wiring for the second cam angle sensor, and another for the mivec actuator.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 07:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Well, I have a complete 9 engine harness coming, so it's going to have the stuff on it for the additional engine stuff.

I just went through three threads on lancer register. The only guy that had to repin anything was one who de pinned his Evo8 ECU plugs, and repined the harness into the plugs for the 9 ECU, and add the wiring for the additional stuff for the Mivec and what not. No one mentioned anything else..
Old Mar 21, 2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Well, I have a complete 9 engine harness coming, so it's going to have the stuff on it for the additional engine stuff.

I just went through three threads on lancer register. The only guy that had to repin anything was one who de pinned his Evo8 ECU plugs, and repined the harness into the plugs for the 9 ECU, and add the wiring for the additional stuff for the Mivec and what not. No one mentioned anything else..
Yah if your using a 9 harness you should be good. Its only if your trying to use a 9 ecu with an 8 harness that you would need to repin anything. Like the guys that where throwing Evo 8 ecu's in their 2g's. Just for example the pin on the ecu that controls the high voltage fuel pump relay is different between an 8 and a 9. Again though if your using a 9 harness too then that's already compensated for.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 08:15 AM

based on my read of the Group 80A section of the evo 9 FSM what your going to be swapping is called the "Control Wiring Harness" and your right its the one on the right side by the t-case. I'm guessing you swooped up a used one because one from mitsu would probably be $$$$. For a few hundred though I would gladly go that route then Frankenstein in an evo 9 ecu into an 8 harness.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Mar 21, 2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: corrected perspective
Old Mar 21, 2018, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

I got a 100% complete 9 head (sensor housings w/sensors and reluctor wheels, mivec gear, solenoid, cams, lifters, rockers, etc) , 9 ECU, and 9 "control wiring harness" for $1400 shipped. Seller said I just need to replace the connector for one of the cam sensors, no big deal, can get those for about $10-$15.

Even if I didn't find that deal, the harnesses and ECU's come up on eBay regularly. I wouldn't be doing the conversion if I had to frankenstein an 8 harness, no thank you...LOL. Thanks for looking into that for me though.

In case anyone was wondering the head will be going to Head games for their race port package #2.

Quick Reply: 05 Evo 8 daily, autocross car.