Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo 4, my first project car

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 08:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have been slack lately and have not made much progress in a while but here is what i have done. The gearbox and transfer box got all new seals, clutch and flywheel were bolted on and then i installed the gearbox and transfer box to the block. Unfortunately when I made my exhaust I didnt take into account the postion of the starter motor and you guessed it, the starter wont fit. It will only require a slight notching of the pipe though so not to much of a major.

Old Dec 16, 2016, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good mate!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 09:38 PM

I have an evo 4 (right hand drive) that I would like to install the torque solutions side engine mounts and front lower mounts. The problem I have is that these mounts are from the USA there for all sites list that they fit evo 7 8 9 but not the older ones as I believe that you dont have them in the country. Going off the pictures they look the same but I would like to match some measurements that no site seems to list before buying. I also have the issue of how much they cost with the exchange rate and the tax to get them into the country but thats another problem haha.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:54 AM

I have got the engine in the car. I now have a lot to do including fuel system, intercooler piping, clean up the wiring loom to name a few. Even though I used rags to protect the rocker cover the chains from when it was on the engine crane scratched the paint away so I will have to repaint it.

Old Feb 12, 2017, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kylefowlie
I have an evo 4 (right hand drive) that I would like to install the torque solutions side engine mounts and front lower mounts. The problem I have is that these mounts are from the USA there for all sites list that they fit evo 7 8 9 but not the older ones as I believe that you dont have them in the country. Going off the pictures they look the same but I would like to match some measurements that no site seems to list before buying. I also have the issue of how much they cost with the exchange rate and the tax to get them into the country but thats another problem haha.
Not sure about the front mount but the side mounts are the same for our chassis.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 06:40 AM

I have got the engine in the car. I now have a lot to do including fuel system, intercooler piping, clean up the wiring loom to name a few. Even though I used rags to protect the rocker cover the chains from when it was on the engine crane scratched the paint away so I will have to repaint it.

Loving the progress. Have to admire your patience as well.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:48 AM

The mounts arrived. The front lower mount is different and will need to have the bracket that bolts the the gearbox modified or a new bracket made. The crank pulley end mount (putting it this way due to left/right hand cars) bolts up but needs about 1cm milled off the part where the three studs go through, its not quite the same and causes the engine to sit low at that end. I am yet to measure the gearbox mount but it looks to be correct.

Last edited by kylefowlie; Mar 3, 2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:20 PM

So i used a spirit level app on my phone and it said the engine was at 1.2 off being completely horizontal. I then reinstalled the standard mounts and measured it again and it said 1 degree also just by looking at it looked the same as when the TS mounts were in. I reinstalled the TS mounts and thats how it will stay. When i compared the TS and standard mounts side by side i did notice that the are different but it still bolts up but makes the engine/gearbox sit about 1cm lower. I drew a very basic diagram to try explain what i mean. I dont think the difference is enough to affect driveshaft alignment so im going to run them and see what happens.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 01:28 AM

Got two -6 fittings welded onto my fuel rail so can run braided fuel line.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:31 PM

Oil cooler with -10 fittings and braided hose. The cooler was a bit bigger than I expected so its tight but it still fits behind the bumper. Next is to do the intercooler and piping. I think that will be a problem as i have not much room around to plumb from the turbo to the intercooler.

Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:17 AM

Im looking into intercoolers and not 100% sure what size to go for yet. Im interested in hearing others suggestions.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 03:39 AM

I haven't really posted in ages and thats mainly because I have been useless and not really done anything on the car but heres the lastest. I have bought an intercooler 280mm x 600mm x 76mm and the picture is of the cooler mounted to the car with the brackets done but not yet painted. I also made and exhaust that goes from the down pipe to the flange around where the diff is. I have only made it this long as from there back it has had an aftermarket exhaust fitted but it is strangely 2.75 inch pipe. The section I have built is 3 inch pipe with one resonator and a flexy. Once the car is running but before a tune I will most likely replace the last section of the exhaust with 3 inch pipe and a new muffler.

Next is to sort out plumbing the intercooler and this is going to be difficult going from the turbo to the intercooler as the way I have run my wastegate pipe has really limited myself on room. Once that plumbing is done I will sort fuel lines and then the car should be at the least be able to start.

Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
How much power are you going for? We just did a 4g64 conversion for mine after putting a rod through the block last year, and the intake temps are starting to go up a bit - I'm making 340kw atw on 98, and I've got a Trust Spec LS intercooler, which is more or less similar size to your one. If you're gonna be pushing some power, it MAY be worth thinking about a slightly bigger IC.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
subscribed.. looking good so far.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 06:47 AM

I have bought an intercooler 280mm x 600mm x 76mm

I dont think the 3" intercooler will be sufficient either. 3.5" would be ideal. I recently installed one on my 5 along with custom 2.5" intercooler piping and an stm oil cooler and everything fit snug but fine. I also installed a 3" downpipe as well.

The dump tube you should definitely have held off on making/installing until after you had everything else fitted. The one I have is basically useless and I'll have to make a new one to clear everything.

Quick Reply: Evo 4, my first project car