Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo 4, my first project car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rohit
How much power are you going for? We just did a 4g64 conversion for mine after putting a rod through the block last year, and the intake temps are starting to go up a bit - I'm making 340kw atw on 98, and I've got a Trust Spec LS intercooler, which is more or less similar size to your one. If you're gonna be pushing some power, it MAY be worth thinking about a slightly bigger IC.
I would love 500whp but I think realistically I am going to get about 420 whp on my setup. I will keep the intercooler for now and once the car is done if I have intake temp problems like you mentioned I will then upgrade but for now I would really just like to get the car running. Thanks for your input.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by dalinkwent
I dont think the 3" intercooler will be sufficient either. 3.5" would be ideal. I recently installed one on my 5 along with custom 2.5" intercooler piping and an stm oil cooler and everything fit snug but fine. I also installed a 3" downpipe as well.

The dump tube you should definitely have held off on making/installing until after you had everything else fitted. The one I have is basically useless and I'll have to make a new one to clear everything.
Haha yea, hindsight is always 20/20. I will run this intercooler to start with and see how things go.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
subscribed.. looking good so far.
Thanks. I just need to keep up with the progress and not stop and start every month or so haha.

Last edited by kylefowlie; Nov 7, 2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great work man, what part of nz you from? Also one quick question did you buy a new OEM front cover/oil pump? If so was it already packed with grease from the factory? Just about to start assembly on my new motor for my car so would love to know
Old Aug 5, 2017, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bladey
Great work man, what part of nz you from? Also one quick question did you buy a new OEM front cover/oil pump? If so was it already packed with grease from the factory? Just about to start assembly on my new motor for my car so would love to know
Yea it was a new OEM one and mine was lightly oiled from factory so I opened it up and put grease in.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:54 AM

I have mocked up my intercooler piping and this is roughly how it will look. will need to take the pipes to an engineer to get flarings put on the ends of each pipe. Also I have to remake my down pipe and wastegate pipe as the way I have made it meant I have no room to run intercooler piping from the turbo to the intercooler. Also I have bought a new blow off valve, it is a tial Q valve.

The following users liked this post:
NJ9MR (Sep 19, 2017)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kylefowlie
I have mocked up my intercooler piping and this is roughly how it will look. will need to take the pipes to an engineer to get flarings put on the ends of each pipe. Also I have to remake my down pipe and wastegate pipe as the way I have made it meant I have no room to run intercooler piping from the turbo to the intercooler. Also I have bought a new blow off valve, it is a tial Q valve.

The battery is going in the trunk?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by dalinkwent
The battery is going in the trunk?
At this stage im hoping to keep the battery in the stock position.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by kylefowlie
At this stage im hoping to keep the battery in the stock position.
I would suggest test fitting the battery before finalizing on your pipes.

The bend that you use from the throttle body seems to position the piping a bit close to where the battery would be.

When I did my pipes, I used a bend closer to 90° to position it clear of the battery. Not sure abt the 4 but my 5's battery was mounted close to the shock tower so you have to take into consideration that the bov will have to be positioned almost upright on the charge pipe to get clearance from the battery as well.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
On a CP9A the battery sits right behind the headlight stock, and the airbox goes where the battery goes on the late model cars.

Old Sep 26, 2017, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rohit
On a CP9A the battery sits right behind the headlight stock, and the airbox goes where the battery goes on the late model cars.

Yes you're right. Got so used to not having the stock airbox that it slipped me. A common mod is to mount the battery by the shock tower and run the air filter straight across to where there's a hole in the wheel well. Often times an airbox is built there as well which am fabricating for mine now.

https://imgur.com/Gy2wgpw
Old Oct 22, 2017, 06:58 PM

I re made my wastegate pipe to allow room for intercooler piping from the turbo to the intercooler. Its not exactly what im happy with but I was limited on options without remaking the whole downpipe/wastegate from scratch which I really did not want to do.I also got all the intercooler piping mocked up so now I need to take all the pipes to and engineers to get flairings put on each of the pipes and have two pipes welded together
Old Oct 23, 2017, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Nice build
Old May 31, 2019, 11:46 PM

Fitted a deatschwerks 300 intank pump to my standard tank housing. Im currently trying my best to clean out my fuel tank with vinegar as it has a light coating of surface rust and a bit of sludge caused by the stale fuel and then it can refit the tank to the car. Currently the complete rear suspension and diff is out and will be cleaned up and fitted with new suspension bushes.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:13 AM

You have ran though this from top to bottom . Sir I'm more interested in this build then Stranger things season 3 and that says a lot.

Absolutely breathtaking goodwork

Quick Reply: Evo 4, my first project car