Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Lancer Sportback (Cedia Wagon) to Evo Wagon (ct9w)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alchem1st
You likely could use the complete Outlander rear floorpan. If you're going to go through the trouble though I would recommend just using a complete Evo 5-9 rear floor pan. The Evo suspension is designed for motorsports and will yield a better handling car with much more aftermarket support for stuff like swaybars and bushings.
​​​​​​Wouldn't you need to find an Evo rear clip and cut out the housings for the strut towers? I'm not sure how easy those are to find.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 09:38 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It depends what you want to build, if you just want an awd lancer wagon than the outlander rear is pretty good. I have been working on an outlander to airtrek conversion this summer and I learned a few things. I learned that the outlander is an airtrek with a na motor. In Japan the airtrek has a turbo 4g63 and awd system. The airtrek and outlander share the same automatic transmission. In Japan and Australia oem airtrek transmissions are known to have tough gears and handle up to 400hp. This transmission is a 4spd version of the 5spd transmission used in the evolution 7 GTA. So an outlander drivetrain can handle a turbo 4g63 without any problems. Next I also found a ton of after market support for airtrek suspensions. You can get enough chassis braces to add an xtra 100 pounds to your car. Spoon also makes a full set of solid collars for airtreks. I found all kinds of anti roll bars and adjustable suspension arms for the airtrek. Outlander and airtrek chassis and suspension are identical so fitting the outlander floor pan on a lancer is a very good option.
One more thing I discovered is that the Evo gta ecu has the exact pin outs as the outlander ecu.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by rice4life
That's Chris.

Yeah, he has the 5speed, evo floorpan, and evo front done. Now he's working on getting the rear wide body done. It was his stupid *** evo III that got me into buying a lancer. I did a photoshoot for him and was hooked lol.

I hope OP is still working on his car.

Evo wagon and Evo III? Sounds like me and him think alike.

Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:00 AM

did you finish the car? awesome project anyway
Old Dec 10, 2017, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by apoopoo999
One more thing I discovered is that the Evo gta ecu has the exact pin outs as the outlander ecu.
So, since the 2004 Lancer Sportback (Wagon) has the same 2.4L 4g69 as the Outlander, could it have the same pinout as the Evo GTA?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wagon

Evo suspension fits. You just have to drill 10,000 spot welds out. I would be sweet if Trans was pinned like autos across the pond!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by truthdweller
So, since the 2004 Lancer Sportback (Wagon) has the same 2.4L 4g69 as the Outlander, could it have the same pinout as the Evo GTA?
Only the 2003 outlander with the 4G64 shares the same ecu pinouts with the evo7gta
Please see below pin-outs and compare
GTA dont have rear O2 and Fan Controller
USDM 2003 Outlander dont have ACD
Other than that the rest of the pinouts are pretty much the same
All of the transmission pin outs are the same except outlander does not have a pinout for "reduction Solenoid" (pin 119)
I wonder if the GTA ecu can control an outlander transmission.
Both transmissions are INVECS-II but GTA is a 5spd and 2003 Outlander is a 4spd

GTA PINOUTS

2003 OUTLANDER PINOUTS

So far I only did a DOHC swap on my outlander, if I find a GTA ecu I will plug it in and see what it does.

Last edited by apoopoo999; Dec 12, 2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So a front wheel bearing has gone bad on my sister and brother-in-laws Ralliart wagon. I managed to convince them to buy Evo 8 steering knuckles since they use a bolt-in wheel bearing design. Makes the job much simpler for me since I don't have to deal with those awful press-in bearings and seals and it's a good gateway mod for my brother-in-law to start tinkering on the car! Looks like the modding is about to begin! They still have stock Ralliart 16in wheels, but luckily I happen to have a set of Evo 4 twin pot calipers and rotors on hand to swap on and the stock 16's clear perfectly. (Info for all you guys who like modding in stages like me!)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 06:07 AM

I believe the evo knuckle will widen the front by 1.5” on each side and you will need longer axles
Old Jan 10, 2018, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apoopoo999
I believe the evo knuckle will widen the front by 1.5” on each side and you will need longer axles
From my research it seems that the knuckles will work with no problems. The track only widens if you use Evo lower control arms. At least I hope!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 08:32 AM

I put evo control arms on my wagon and the wheelbase stayed the same. Im using 1.5” spacers to bring out the wheels to match the evo fenders. The evo control arms also move the wheels 2” towards the front bumper giving you more caster.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm, well if that's the case then I wonder what knuckles MarkOJ1011 used to mount the Brembo calipers on his Ralliart. I guess if it ends up not working we can swap the Evo wheel bearings into a set of Evo 4 knuckles and I think that will work fine.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, so here's the skinny on using Evo 8 steering knuckles. Comparing the Evo 8 knuckles to the stock CS7W Ralliart knuckles dimensionally they are the same. My guess since the lower control arms bolt on that the extra track width is all in the wheel size and offset and nothing to do with the suspension bits. The Evo 8 knuckles bolt up just fine. HOWEVER, they can't be run with the 4G69 transmission because the axles are a different spline. If one were to go awd and use an Evo 8 transmission and axles it would all work just fine; but because the Ralliart axles use a different spline it's a no go. Oh well, I'm going to hang on to these for when I buy the car from them in a few years and I'll do a full conversion on it then.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 07:23 AM

Hello - Any update on the status of this very interesting build?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
No wagon conversions ever seem to get completed. I might make an attempt at the end of the year with a firewall swap instead.
The following users liked this post:
rong. (Feb 14, 2021)

Quick Reply: Lancer Sportback (Cedia Wagon) to Evo Wagon (ct9w)