Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

CT9A Resurrection and Innovation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 09:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa

The transmission OEM internals should be ok, but you are going to stress test everything more then anyone ever did with all that low end torque the electric build is going to make.

I've always wondered whether torque at low rpm is any more damaging than torque at higher rpm for the driveline. Torque itself is an rpm-independent value, so in concept, as long as the power is applied smoothly, the transmission, TC, and diff shouldn't care whether the motor is at 0 rpm or 4000 rpm. I suppose there could be an effect of dwell time that any pair of gear teeth need to support the load. At lower gear rpms, the dwell time is higher, so each pair of teeth need to support load for a longer period of time. At zero rpm, I guess this could be a problem.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I've always wondered whether torque at low rpm is any more damaging than torque at higher rpm for the driveline. Torque itself is an rpm-independent value, so in concept, as long as the power is applied smoothly, the transmission, TC, and diff shouldn't care whether the motor is at 0 rpm or 4000 rpm. I suppose there could be an effect of dwell time that any pair of gear teeth need to support the load. At lower gear rpms, the dwell time is higher, so each pair of teeth need to support load for a longer period of time. At zero rpm, I guess this could be a problem.

Its been a while since I did this type of physics, but I think you have to keep in mind the "jerk" as well. Rate of change in acceleration, which I think will be greater in the electric motor. I'm not a mechy but I think the stress of this will be greater than seen with ICE motors.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice updates sir! Can't wait to swing by & check this out at some point!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 04:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by deeman101
Its been a while since I did this type of physics, but I think you have to keep in mind the "jerk" as well. Rate of change in acceleration, which I think will be greater in the electric motor. I'm not a mechy but I think the stress of this will be greater than seen with ICE motors.
This is what I was concerned about. If things start to move slow before he gets on it though he should be ok.

Something tells me, he can control the speed the motor initiates so he should be ok.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 04:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred

If its a soft start I think it will be ok the more I think about it.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
450wtq @ 0 rpm.. first pull.. BOOM..

This a sick build though! Hope everything works out with it and want to see video's of it running!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 07:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
If its a soft start I think it will be ok the more I think about it.
Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
450wtq @ 0 rpm.. first pull.. BOOM..
The more I think about it, the less of an issue I see for this torque level compared to an ICE Evo. The torque is rated at the motor, so it will probably be something 400 ft-lbs on a chassis dyno. I think the fear of full torque at zero rpm is not an issue in itself. The notion being conjured is that motor has infinite twisting power because its at 0 rpm, but that's not the case. Its only 450 ft-lbs at the motor. A solid launch in an ICE Evo is going to make near-instant full use of the available torque the motor can make. The driveline has no idea that the motor is spinning at 6000 rpm when it feels the torque. I still think it will be very important to preload and avoid wheelhop just as with an ICE. And throttle control will be needed to modulate wheelspin.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Getting closer...

Waiting on some more hardware before I can mate the motor to the gearbox, but here is a shot of the flywheel and adapter pieces fitted.

Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Very freaking cool.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Appreciate the awesome build, thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Awesome!!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Replacing a front wheel bearing and painting the caliper.

Old Nov 13, 2015, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by electron bom
fresh!

I wire brushed and PB Blasted the splined axle fittings and then covered them in Lithium compound grease. A local shop pressed in the new bearings!

Where did you get the bearing from and what is the p/n?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrap?

I'm leaning toward wrapping the car in vinyl. 3M 1080 gloss anthracite seems to be close enough to Graphite Gray so that the door jambs won't clash. Doing a vinyl wrap job myself will cost about $4k less than paint and I'd much rather spend the savings on performance. Thoughts?

I believe this space ship is wrapped in 3M gloss anthracite

Plasti dip that son of a gun...
Old Nov 15, 2015, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
getting closer...

waiting on some more hardware before i can mate the motor to the gearbox, but here is a shot of the flywheel and adapter pieces fitted.

4g63e?

Quick Reply: CT9A Resurrection and Innovation