Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

"Project Hard Park"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
So this is where i am on the ACD relocation. Decided to keep it on the passenger side, will build some kind of cover to protect it from debris and exhaust heat.

Had to remove the rear sub-frame to work on the evap and build hard-line. Also had to cut back some of the casting flash from where the mounts for the mustache bar bolts in. Was making some contact with the BR unit.

Picked up a spare ACD pump hanger since I didn't like how the first mock up wound up. Now its sufficiently outboard to clear muffler. Welded flat steel on to it and trimmed metal that was in the way or unused. Still need to do finish work on it like grind welding down and some more trimming. Will be getting it sand blasted and I'll repaint it after words.

I managed to put a small kink in the evap line. In my mind its minor enough to let slide but my OCD may dictate redoing the line. Also made my first attempt at the hard line to go from driver side evap to passenger side pump.

Still working on it all...

Ugly welds but its solid. Welded the opposite side edge as well. Still need to grind it down and clean it all up.

Added bracket similar to Dallas's. Pump will be in a cradle and have much more rigidity/stability.

Small kink... -_____-

First attempt at the hard-line to go from passenger to driver side where evap is. May redo it but this one will work.

Evo X grommet for ACD reservoir lines to pass through trunk floor.

Grinned down some metal where BR mustache bar was touching or close on drvr/pass mounts

Last edited by V.8MR; Jun 4, 2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 08:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Not done but am making good progress. Finished the ACD bracket. Didnt care to grind down welds even though im pretty embarrassed of em haha. Welded extra bracket to it. Had it all sand blasted and i painted it. Put hole through trunk floor for grommet and installed reservoir. Next I have to figure out a mount topside for it. Also got some NiCopp for the hardlines. Should be much easier to run and make line with it vs cheap steel line.

Also did some little stuff like installed STM carbon FW inserts. Replaced rusted nuts and bolts in the bay with SS counterparts. Mounted batery too.

Last edited by V.8MR; Jun 13, 2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 03:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Made this "finger" to locate and secure the reservoir. Bought 5/16" steel rod. Cut it, bent it, welded a washer on and tapped it on the other side. I like it.

Old Jun 18, 2017, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
Looking great!!!! Awesome work!!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by yellowevo82
Looking great!!!! Awesome work!!
Thanx!

Not digging how my hard-line is turning out. So I've decided to go with AN and PTFE stuff. I also want to eliminate as much excess length in the line as possible so will run under passenger side where pump is forward. Will be a while but updates forthcoming.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Hell of a build man. Think you'll make it on track early next year?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Hell of a build man. Think you'll make it on track early next year?
I'm sure gonna try! Life is funny though, might be taking new job with the potential to relocate. And my wife and I are talking about another baby. Both will severely limit progress... and funds
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
And my wife and I are talking about another baby.

Oh man, I'm fighting this one hard... Another baby would seriously hurt the budget.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Thanx!

Not digging how my hard-line is turning out. So I've decided to go with AN and PTFE stuff. I also want to eliminate as much excess length in the line as possible so will run under passenger side where pump is forward. Will be a while but updates forthcoming.
What are you struggling with in terms of the hard line? I choose to do a hard line as I thought it would be much cleaner and I could run it in the stock location right next to the EVAP line. It was very difficult I will admit that but glad I stuck with it. The majority of my line is 5/16 steel with some sort of plastic green coating on it for corrosion resistance but what I found was that I couldnt get the bends to work doing it in one shot so I ended up picking up a smaller piece of the Nicop stuff which is far more flexible and much better to work with and I built the line in 2 pieces. Had I used all Nicop line I may have been able to do it in one shot but I didnt and had made so much progress that 2 pieces seemed fine IMO.

This reminds me I never posted pictures of my line and how I ran it but I was very happy with how it turned out. A braided line would be far eaiser; just for some reason it seemed lame IMO! I gotta say however without the car up in the air I could see doing the line being almost impossible.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Being that I have the pump on the passenger side, I'd have to add significant footage to get it over to the driver side. Also finding that the line itself is very difficult to get to the evap in a nice clean tucked way. Complex bends to navigate over the subframe and rear end etc. And yes a few trials and errors working on my back have helped sway the decision. If I can find the fitting I need to go directly from the pump to AN6 i'll be golden. Then will do as R/TErnie did and run a shorter route to the T/C.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 03:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Just TIG weld an AN6 fitting to the pump fitting. Then put the welded together fitting on the pump.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 04:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Just TIG weld an AN6 fitting to the pump fitting. Then put the welded together fitting on the pump.
Not a bad idea. I did find this, not sure what the quality is or anything but should be here in a couple of days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-14-1-5mm...72.m2749.l2649

-6 x 14-1.5mm Inverted Flare AN fitting, Metric -6 x M14-1.5

Old Jun 21, 2017, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Being that I have the pump on the passenger side, I'd have to add significant footage to get it over to the driver side. Also finding that the line itself is very difficult to get to the evap in a nice clean tucked way. Complex bends to navigate over the subframe and rear end etc. And yes a few trials and errors working on my back have helped sway the decision. If I can find the fitting I need to go directly from the pump to AN6 i'll be golden. Then will do as R/TErnie did and run a shorter route to the T/C.
Understandable. Making the hard line with all the bends was very tricky to say the least. It was far more difficult than I imagined it would be. Lets just say Im glad I am done with that; never again, lol! Without a lift it might be borderline impossible. I used some wire to help make the shape of the bends and then would replicate that with the line and mock up and make tweaks once in position. The challenge is that once you make the bends it then needed to be snaked into place and there were a couple times that if I didnt have the height to spin the line around I would not have been able to get it into place.

If that adapter works for you then you should be golden. Certainly far easier to work with the braided stuff as you bend it as needed. Not to mention you dont have to make a flare while under the vehicle in an awkward position. It goes wtihout saying but maybe just use the braided section for the back portion and do as much as you can with the hard line. Specifically where it goes over the driveshaft the benefit to the hard line is that once shaped you dont need to worry about it rubbing on the shaft.

Good luck and keep up posted with how it turns out. If its anything like the rest of the build Im sure it'll come out looking good in the end; you just gotta persevere! And at least the wiring is pretty straight forward; I just had a little bit of fun snaking it but other than that no issues on that front.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sick build !
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:04 AM
EvoM Guru

So while saving a few bucks to get AN stuff I need to complete the ACD reloc I started on BS delete. I already have all the parts to complete it.

I was not happy to find the oil pump housing has some scoring. Can anyone provide any feedback here? Thinking I might spend some money and get a new front case pump etc. Tempted to just tear the whole motor down and assess its condition.

Also here is the weight for the BS, belt, pully, tensioner if it wasn't already documented.

No flash, not degreased or cleaned just light wipe down.

With flash

Last edited by V.8MR; Jul 11, 2017 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: "Project Hard Park"