Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Jimmy's Anti-Retirement

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turbo kit should be here right about Monday the 5th! So it should be in Chad's hands in another couple of weeks. Then he and the team can work their magic and make me regret not carrying a change of pants in the car every time I hit that go pedal.

Also wanted to give a massive shout out to Jason over at DSG Performance for helping me get the Varis Super Taikyu and the Work S1 3P wheels ordered. I had a lot of dumbass questions, made a whole bunch of changes, and he took everything in stride and was always helpful, polite and quick to respond to any emails I sent. He really hooked me up on this one which should make for some exciting (at least for me) updates at a much quicker pace than I anticipated.

Again, I'm too excited to wait to share actual pictures so here's the inspiration for the wheels. I obviously didn't order them through RavSpec, and no harm intended, so if for any reason anyone from there see's this and doesn't want me to use their picture please let me know and I'll take it down immediately.

Counting the days until it all gets here....

Last edited by JimmyGSR; Feb 3, 2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 09:02 PM

Been browsing eBay for a second dashboard recently. I want to flock it but have never done so, and would like to make the attempt on a spare just in case. I've heard it's pretty idiot proof but that just sounds like a challenge to me. Also might attempt another project I've been thinking about recently. PM me if you're selling your dashboard, or other interior parts.

Things could get interesting here...
Old Feb 5, 2018, 05:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had to Google dashboard flocking. Learn something new everyday.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 08:13 PM

^Yeah I learned about it a few years back over on the sti forums and have wanted to attempt it ever since. I hate how alcantara or suede looks if you rub part of it, almost like a wet spot.

But in other news.... !

Last edited by JimmyGSR; Feb 7, 2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 09:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Holy crap... I love this thread! You're making some great choices and I love the updates/pics. I must have that gold IC, that thing is beautiful.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:12 PM

^Haha thanks, I'm starting to feel the same way about the thread too! And thanks for the kind words, I'm finding my direction is an either love or hate thing and very little in between. I think the gold throws some people off, but I'm with you I think it looks really great. I can't wait to see it sitting behind the Varis super taikyu bumper

The wheels and body parts should be here in a few months so future updates will be a little slower. But it gives me time to consider suspension. I went with some pretty aggressive sizing on the wheels (19x10.5 +17[T-Disk] / 19x10.5 +10[O-Disk]) so uh... Yeah. Gonna have to do some work to those stock rear fenders. The Varis fenders should have the fronts covered

The idea of air suspension has run through my head these past few days but we'll see. I have to do more research on that end. I don't plan on ever tracking the car so I don't need the craziest coilover set up out there, but at the same time I don't want any sort of step down in terms of handling. Anyone reading this with experience in air suspension have any suggestions? Anything you wish you knew before doing it? Regrets? Hindsight is always 20/20 so I'd love to hear from someone that's had both perspectives. I'm stuck dealing with terrible Boston area streets so that will play a big factor in my decision making as well.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyGSR
^Haha thanks, I'm starting to feel the same way about the thread too! And thanks for the kind words, I'm finding my direction is an either love or hate thing and very little in between. I think the gold throws some people off, but I'm with you I think it looks really great. I can't wait to see it sitting behind the Varis super taikyu bumper

The wheels and body parts should be here in a few months so future updates will be a little slower. But it gives me time to consider suspension. I went with some pretty aggressive sizing on the wheels (19x10.5 +17[T-Disk] / 19x10.5 +10[O-Disk]) so uh... Yeah. Gonna have to do some work to those stock rear fenders. The Varis fenders should have the fronts covered

The idea of air suspension has run through my head these past few days but we'll see. I have to do more research on that end. I don't plan on ever tracking the car so I don't need the craziest coilover set up out there, but at the same time I don't want any sort of step down in terms of handling. Anyone reading this with experience in air suspension have any suggestions? Anything you wish you knew before doing it? Regrets? Hindsight is always 20/20 so I'd love to hear from someone that's had both perspectives. I'm stuck dealing with terrible Boston area streets so that will play a big factor in my decision making as well.
IMHO Fortune Auto Air Piston is better... You can raise the car for bumps when you need it, while still riding on coils for an aggressive ride height. Unless you really want to slam your Evo while its parked, then spend close to 6k for bags. The cost difference alone will also save you $$$ for other mods.

Old Feb 8, 2018, 06:33 PM

I could hug you right now friend. That looks like it might be about as perfect a balance of function and aesthetics as its going to get. I don't ever want to see the car sitting on the ground, that's just something that's cool on someone else's car, so this should work perfect. I appreciate the heads up on these. It wasn't until watching the video that I remembered reading about something similar from Roberuta a few years back. I didn't even think of it as an option until...well, until you thought of it actually. Emailed them and just waiting to hear back to see what they can do for me!

I've got nothing in terms of new parts or ordered parts updates. But It's only been a few days so... this is gonna be a long wait. Is it here yet? And then... I can't stop thinking about the Do-Luck duck bill trunk. I'm a little worried the Varis super taikyu parts that are coming might be a little too aggressive for the wingless look but... I keep coming back to it for some reason. Its either that or a big ol' Voltex wing.

Decisions decisions...
Old Feb 8, 2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyGSR
I could hug you right now friend. That looks like it might be about as perfect a balance of function and aesthetics as its going to get. I don't ever want to see the car sitting on the ground, that's just something that's cool on someone else's car, so this should work perfect. I appreciate the heads up on these. It wasn't until watching the video that I remembered reading about something similar from Roberuta a few years back. I didn't even think of it as an option until...well, until you thought of it actually. Emailed them and just waiting to hear back to see what they can do for me!

I've got nothing in terms of new parts or ordered parts updates. But It's only been a few days so... this is gonna be a long wait. Is it here yet? And then... I can't stop thinking about the Do-Luck duck bill trunk. I'm a little worried the Varis super taikyu parts that are coming might be a little too aggressive for the wingless look but... I keep coming back to it for some reason. Its either that or a big ol' Voltex wing.

Decisions decisions...
No prob! Yea man I'd be curious to see how that would look wingless.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 03:32 PM

Someone please help me I have no self control and too many credit cards....

Bulletproof had a Do-Luck trunk in stock so.... Yep. That should ship out within the next few days. Thanks Andres!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 03:37 PM

Woooooooo! Car was picked up by Brandon at Fortress earlier today. One of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of speaking with. He said the car should be in Chad's hands by the beginning of the week so updates should be coming not too long after!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 07:07 PM

The FedEx fairy visited today!

For whatever reason the second pic makes it look like its got a few minor imperfections, but physically looking at the trunk there's nothing so I must have just got a funky angle

Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:13 AM

Aaaand we are hunting for a new daily....

Meh, **** happens. It was getting to be about that time anyway.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 07:26 AM

Aaaaand RIP Evo.

4 car pile up on the highway last month. Basically nothing salvageable.... But I'm alive still so I'm pretty sure I won that one. Gonna take a little bit to jump back into something but I'm looking at finally getting a MKIV Supra when the time comes. It's something I've wanted for the past 20 or so years, so I figure this is the perfect opportunity to do it.

Stay safe everyone.