Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

My first Evo! 05 SSL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hey Russ. You should get larger injectors so we can get you a dual tune (91 & E85). Guys are always selling injectors, so look around. Minimum you will need is 1000cc's combined w/a Walbro 255 fuel pump

I ran the stock turbo & 1000cc injectors & was tuned on E85 at 400 Dyno Jet WHP as an example (Evo9 w/MIVEC)

Joe

See that gives me hope. Just this E85 shortage in vegas sucks! So how does it work with open source? I am more old school so bare with me. I get a flex fuel sensor and it will change boost accordingly? I have a 255 already, and see 1000 injectors on facebook for like 400 bucks all the time.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Apr 19, 2018)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by ign 5
See that gives me hope. Just this E85 shortage in vegas sucks! So how does it work with open source? I am more old school so bare with me. I get a flex fuel sensor and it will change boost accordingly? I have a 255 already, and see 1000 injectors on facebook for like 400 bucks all the time.
You will need a 3 port boost solenoid as well. You or your tuner will load-in the Tephra V7 map & you can set it up for a dual tune. The switching mechanism is done through the go-pedal @ WOT (engine off / simple procedure)
ign 5 (Apr 19, 2018)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:44 AM

Altight, thank you. I will look more into this down the road when I get to that point. Thank you so much for your help. This is the most active forum I have been on in years!
MinusPrevious (Apr 19, 2018)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by ign 5
Altight, thank you. I will look more into this down the road when I get to that point. Thank you so much for your help. This is the most active forum I have been on in years!
We'd like to have you as a regular around here Russ, so please make it part of your day, every day

Joe
ign 5 (Apr 19, 2018)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
English Racing cn do a flex fuel tune. I'm not sure if Devin has the flex fuel rom's for the 8/9. You need an ECA to do flex fuel. Can also just do a dual map (separate maps, either 91 or E85), but an ECA is still a good idea.

Injector upgrade not needed for pump gas stock turbo. Just need a walbro 255 fuel pump. The stock 8 pump won't keep up.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:38 AM

Todays update

Fuel door spring, very easy to install once you get the fuel door open. Mine was missing all together, I thought I would find it broken and still attached, but nope. So it took a moment to see where it goes, but all good now. I noticed the passenger seat moved around, and made the most annoying squeaks, glanced and saw the nuts where loose. the first one tightened no problem, while the other one was stripped out, and could only turn about 7 spins, so ordered a new seat nut. Took 3 days to get it here, and I will install it tonight when I get home.

Might not update anything until Monday, as I usually update while at work. Hopefully big things, like getting it registered!

Speaking of registered, I forgot to mention that car has straight 3 inch exhaust, catless. I passed smog with no problems! So, a stress I did not need to worry about.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, Just replaced my fuel door spring just a few months ago. Certainly have had the seats out from time to time & recognize that nut

Great update! Keep them coming
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
Love to see threads like this. Way to bring some life back into that car. Keep the pictures coming...
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love seeing the TLC your giving your Evo man! I got a Blue 8 SSL a few months back. I'm in the similar boat of cleaning it up.
ign 5 (Apr 23, 2018)
Old Apr 23, 2018, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by MasterShake19
I love seeing the TLC your giving your Evo man! I got a Blue 8 SSL a few months back. I'm in the similar boat of cleaning it up.
Oh nice! I wish I could have gotten a cool color like Blue, but could not pass up the deal on the red one! Feel free to make a build thread like I am, it is good to be able to show what you did if you ever sell it.

I have an update on the coil on plug kit... I large headache! I drove my car through the car wash, It is an all water one, no brushes or anything of that sort as I planned on doing more buffing this weekend. I get home to start some other projects, pop the hood and LOTS of water came out of my hood, and poured all over my engine. Not thinking much about it, I start working on other stuff, and call it a night. Next morning, decided to go to a car meet, car starts right up, and I pull onto the road and IT misfires sooo bad whenever I give it any gas at all. I pull over, just coils, they are all firing, check connectors, you name it, find nothing. Drive to the meet, tell all my friends about it and what not. I am starting to think my timing has got to be off.. Anyway, I drive home, and decide to check the spark plugs.

I pull off the coils and find the problem. The spark plug tubes are FULL of water. Needing to go to the DMV (vin check) I was not sure what to do, so I loosen the plugs and let the water drop onto the piston. Might not be the best idea, but it was quick, and at the time could not think of anything else to do. Put it back together and after cranking for about 30 secs it finally fires up, and runs perfect again, up till 15 psi of boost, then it breaks up. I go to DMV, get that handled, and it still braking up, pull off the coils again, and see corrosion on my brand new plugs from trying to fire in the water. I scratch up the tops of the plugs, and everything is great once again! So, I REALLY need to look into a way to seal that up. My car did not come with the spark plug cover, so I might have to get one of those, I so love how it looks without it though. I am also putting some silicone under the carbon fiber plate? Will look into this in the future.

Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 08:47 AM

Did not get as much done this weekend as I wanted, family man and all.. but here we go.

First off Devin at All Access Tuning suggested that I get a 2010ish R35 GTR radiator cap, as Vegas gets Rather hot, and the car was already showing temp gauge hitting a little over half at times with the AC on. So off to car quest I went.

First thing I thought was MAN, this this is ugly! So, I figured with it being brand new, now would be a good time to make it pretty. So I decided to paint and wrap it. First off paint with some engine black paint

After that was complete, I decided to throw some carbon wrap on there

I own a sticker company called blurred designs, so being able to have my cutter near me is very handy to say the least haha. So time for a Mitsu logo on the carbon wrap

While on the car, the sticker will get hot, and make it look way better. Basically using the radiator as a heat gun, and will press it down when it gets hot. While I am at it, might as well flush the coolant

and done! I thought I might change the logo on it later, but happy with it for now, and way better the how it started out!
Driving the car runs under halfway at all times now, never raised at all. I had the ac on almost all day, and it hit 90s here yesterday, no issues. As shows above, the cap part number is 10267, go get it.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 09:16 AM

I thought that it might be cool to put the Enkei logo back on the wheels, but in red. I thought it looked good in my head, and if not, I can just remove it.

I like the outcome, and plan on leaving it on for awhile at least. I am also debating on making the lip red also, so might try that in the near future. I do plan on getting wheels, but that is not anytime soon, have many things planned before that. JDM rear bumper, wideband, a-pillar gauge pod, tune, lowering springs/coilovers before wheels just to name a few.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 09:44 AM

The previous owner claimed he did not like rear speakers.. Odd, but to each there own, I myself, and a bit of an audiophile, and always has been. The fronts are done great already, with aftermarket tweeters, not sure what is in doors yet. I have been in bands my whole life, being a bass player, bass is very important to me, but the rest of the sound has to match. I like everything to be blended , anyway, I had a Walmart gift car since November, finally found something to buy.

Just some 50 buck 3 ways, when my full system gets put in, these will not be playing any bass at all, just mids and highs.

I absolutely hate cutting factory stereo harnesses, for these rears the main reason is the wires are already very short. A friend of mine told me that they make plug ins, so I do not need to cut etc. and here they are.

Easy to install, hardest part was putting factory grills back on. I had the best luck just screwing them all the way in, and then pressing them in from the top. They sound great, rather impressed for some cheap speakers. I also ran all the wires for the system and tucked them where they should go, and are all hidden under the carpet. I sitll need to run my HUGE power wire haha, I have seen the glove box grommet and a few others, not sure what route I will be doing yet. but plan on hooking it up soon. I know, not everyone is a bass head like me, and I might get hate, but this is what is going in the trunk.

all about that bass, bout that bass...well and treble. I have had this setup for almost 10 years now, and still love it.
Thats all the updates for now.
-Russ
Old Apr 24, 2018, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In the first pic I thought your car was pink!

I actually wanted red, lol.

The vacuum lines on your throttle body... EGR delete directions specifically say to NOT loop them, but to just cap them.

The car is looking good. Keep up the great work!
ign 5 (Apr 24, 2018)
Old Apr 24, 2018, 06:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The coils should has a seal on them that seals them to the top of the spark plug well.

Also, if that happens again, blown tubes out with compressed air, don't drain the water into the cylinders. That's a great way to hydro-lock the motor.
ign 5 (Apr 24, 2018)

Quick Reply: My first Evo! 05 SSL