Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

My first Evo! 05 SSL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My first Evo! 05 SSL

Hi everyone. I am Russ, and I am new, like most forums, I put up a build log so I have a record of things I ahve done, and for people who are bored can look through this and help me out! First off, thank you for this forum, I have fixed a handful of things on this car from here already! I took delivery of the car April 11th and actually in way better shape then I expected, but also more mods then I wanted. The more I dive into this car, the more headaches! haha. First off, the car idles really rough, and has misfires, so day one I replaced the spark plugs (NKG plugs, got the number from here), and it now runs, great above 3500 rpm, lower it still misfires. I have gone through 2 tanks of gas now, and do not think it is old gas anymore. I ordered a coil on plug conversion (spool up) in hopes that will fix it, if not I am going to guess it has to be the tune.

Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Way to go Russ

We look fwd to seeing the details & the corrections made to make this EvO a great example

Joe
The following users liked this post:
ign 5 (Apr 18, 2018)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Congrats and welcome i just picked up my 9 a few weeks ago myself and it does run at idle a bit rough but not much. Will be getting the spoolin up myself and going for a tune soon enough.

Thats good color i was looking for a rally red myself but got a good deal on an apex silver.
ign 5 (Apr 18, 2018)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:27 AM

I decided time to put it on the lift, and see what I am working with here. I am very happy that the chassis itself is rust free, but aftermarket parts are covered in it like the exhaust, but seems to be in really good shape.

Next parts I could use some help on. First off, I know hard to tell from photos, but as stated, this is my first EVO. I am being told this is a Evo 9 turbo, anything I can check to make sure?

And I mentioned getting injectors, and the PO claimes that is has injectors but he has no idea what size. All numbers are faded off, but they look OEM to me, opinion?

and lastly, looks like he capped off these vacuum lines, should I leave it alone? should I put them on according to the diagram? I am not sure what they do exactly so for now, I will leave it alone.

Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
The capped off Vacuum lines seem to be the EGR delete which i am about to do myself it can be left alone, the rest i know someone with more knowledge will assist you with.
ign 5 (Apr 18, 2018)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by huzzle101
Congrats and welcome i just picked up my 9 a few weeks ago myself and it does run at idle a bit rough but not much. Will be getting the spoolin up myself and going for a tune soon enough.

Thats good color i was looking for a rally red myself but got a good deal on an apex silver.
I had 2 rules, I wanted a 9, and no red...and of course I get a red 08! haha. But it being an SSL with a clean title and 94k miles in my price range, I had to jump on it. While driving I am all smiles as I cannot tell it is red. I love this car already, and it runs like crap, hope you enjoy yours.
MinusPrevious (Apr 18, 2018)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:45 AM

Next up, sunroof fix. I was told it was off track, and it would not close all the way. I really wanted to wash my car, so this was high on my priority list. After doing research on this forum, it looked like a common problem as the screws just fall out, and most of the time the screws are just sitting on the headliner. This was actually a very easy job, just took a little time. It took me about 40 mins or so to remove the headliner, and about 10 mines to put it back together.

Sure enough, one bolt was missing, and another was about to fall out. The excitement when I found it how easy it was! .

I did not find the screw, so at this point I had to make a home depot run. They had the bolts in stock, and it was less then 2 bucks, I was not thinking and did not put the size (sorry). But with some locktite I made sure they dont come out again.

and back in action!!!

Thank you so much once again for this forum, who knows how this would have gone down if I was not able to find this common problem.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts
Welcome!
Originally Posted by ign 5
Next parts I could use some help on. First off, I know hard to tell from photos, but as stated, this is my first EVO. I am being told this is a Evo 9 turbo, anything I can check to make sure?
Yes, pull off the intake pipe and look at the numbers stamped on the turbo.
See video for detailed turbo info

Originally Posted by ign 5
And I mentioned getting injectors, and the PO claimes that is has injectors but he has no idea what size. All numbers are faded off, but they look OEM to me, opinion?
they look OEM to me too.
ign 5 (Apr 18, 2018)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:55 AM

Time to restore the headlights.. This car was not taken care of, and I really need to make it less embarrassing looking.

I was driving it at night, and I could not see anything, hit the fog lamp button and it helped, but still..had to get fixed. I had a few laying around and the closest one to me was a turtle wax kit. Usually the kits I have used in the past have a buffing disk you attach to a drill, this one you do it all by hand. It starts with a compound you rub on and let dry.

Then, you just rub it off with a microfiber. The results are insane, the look brand new. They came with sanding discs and such, and I did use them, but the sanding disks did not really make a big difference, the compound did all the work.

and now I can see at night! and that helped the looks sooo much.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 09:13 AM

Headlights looking good, need to get the same. time to hit it with some Jaxwax treatment. I have a friend who is a rep for Vegas Jax Wax, and some of there products are amazing! I have not tried them all, but been happy with all that I have tried.

unfortunately, only had time to do one side, and compound only, no polish yet. So I am driving around with a nice side, and a horrible side haha. I hope to have time this weekend to do the rest. But I will let the photos speak for themselves.

Old Apr 18, 2018, 09:40 AM

Vegas Jaxwax Strikes again, I did not take a before picture, because I was not expecting these results! The engine was Filty, I planned on taking a toothbrush to it and clean it up. I had a coolant leak that put coolant stains all over the engine etc.. Found the leak, and fixed the hose, and sprayed it down with a product called Super Citrus from jaxwax. I sprayed it on the cold engine, let is set for like 5 mins, and power washed it off. Jaw dropped with the results.

And now that it is cleaned up, time to install the coil on plug kit

Like mentioned above the car needs a tune, and runs like crap under 3500 RPMS but over that, it runs smooth. I can honestly say the power seems smoother, but hard to know for sure, could just be my mind playing tricks on me haha But, either way, looks better, and will help in the long run.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:41 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Congrats and welcome! Looks like you are taking care of the ol' girl pretty well!

I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread, so I'll say this assuming you are still working out bugs: Try to get the car back to stock so you can rule out aftermarket parts/install as being faulty. Otherwise, you could be chasing your tail for a very long time. Beg, borrow, or buy the stuff you need to start from scratch. If that's not an option, then good luck. It can be a frustrating process, but worth it, once you are done!

Keep up the good work, dude.
ign 5 (Apr 18, 2018)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
Congrats and welcome! Looks like you are taking care of the ol' girl pretty well!

I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread, so I'll say this assuming you are still working out bugs: Try to get the car back to stock so you can rule out aftermarket parts/install as being faulty. Otherwise, you could be chasing your tail for a very long time. Beg, borrow, or buy the stuff you need to start from scratch. If that's not an option, then good luck. It can be a frustrating process, but worth it, once you are done!

Keep up the good work, dude.
Thank you! I am really hoping I can go to a tuner, or get a tactrix cable and hopfully be able to pull up the tune on the car, and see what mods it might have. Aftermarket injectors for this car seem very cheap! excited about that. My goal for this car is to be beautiful, reliable, around 400whp daily on 91. I have been driving, fixing up, modifying my own turbo cars since 2002, and if feels good going back to my 4g63 roots.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Those are definitely stock injectors.
ign 5 (Apr 18, 2018)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:12 AM

3rd person to say stock injectors. So, looks like I will look into some high z injectors sooner before later. I will to hopfully sometime this weekend see how much a tune is to get it back to factory, see if it fixes idle issues, if it is cheap, I will just go that route, if I have to pay like 300+ I am gonna get injectors first. Will keep you posted. thanks

Quick Reply: My first Evo! 05 SSL