Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

NorCal Evo X MR Track Car Project

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2021, 02:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by GotKT?
Last Friday I got to drive my Evo for the first time in seven months … for 20 minutes. Went with a Garrett GTX3071R Turbo. Took over a month to get tuned because the dyno was booked up and the shop where the dyno is located shut down for a week due to a Covid outbreak.

So I drove my trailer down to Sonoma Raceway where my shop is located, went to the morning drivers meeting, then picked up my car. The exhaust sounded badass. I took it real easy the first few laps because it's Sonoma and it was a bit greasy but I could feel the added power (~ 60 whp over my prior tune). By the time I started pushing harder I was already loosing power and by the end the exhaust note had that familiar exhaust leak sound. Took it back to the shop and they found that the downpipe/turbo bolts had backed off, even with Nordlocks.

I have had reoccurring issues with bolts backing out between the exhaust manifold and CAT ever since I got this car. My mechanic thinks it might be that the OEM motor mounts are trash and causing excessive engine vibration. So replacing those with some Torque Solutions Motor and Trans Mount is my next step. They are also going to safety wire and nordlock everything.
the damn nuts on my exhaust manifold to turbo keep backing off as well. Should be replacing gasket and safety wiring them next week as well before I go to buttonwillow October 1-2. Come out if you get your car sorted out. Turn8 will be the host for oct 1st, and NCRC will be the host for oct 2nd.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 09:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Give Stage 8 locking hardware a try. I've yet to see people have any issues using them.

https://www.stage8.com/
Old Sep 23, 2021, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by l888apex
the damn nuts on my exhaust manifold to turbo keep backing off as well. Should be replacing gasket and safety wiring them next week as well before I go to buttonwillow October 1-2. Come out if you get your car sorted out. Turn8 will be the host for oct 1st, and NCRC will be the host for oct 2nd.
Buttonwillow is a bit of a long haul for me, but I do want to start going there later this year. HOD has events a Sonoma on 9/30 and 10/7, otherwise I'll be looking at Thunderhill.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Got some new Torque Solutions motor and trans mounts installed and a couple of the problem bolts and went down to Sonoma and got in a full track day (actually I bailed on the sixth session). I could definitely feel the added power but I was also taking it pretty easy and was about 10 seconds off my PB. However, I was about 10 mph faster heading into turn 7 (one of only two straight sections of Sonoma). Here's some pics of some of the new goodies, including additional hood vents for those 100+ degree Thunderhill days.

The exhaust sounds marvelous. It finally sounds like a race car but should still be quiet enough to pass even the most onerous sound limits.
The end results with about 22 psi boost was about 40 whp over my prior tune at about 18 psi boost. AFR begins to lean out at about 7000 rpm.

The only fail of the day was my left front wheel well liner.

I'm running 18x9.5 +25 Konig Hypergrams with 275/35R18 RE71s. I've run other tracks with these wheels and tires with no issues. My guess is that I was rubbing the left tire on the liner in the Turn 11 right hand hairpin. So I'm probably going to get some spacers and roll the fender as needed. This will be a bit of a PITA since I will also need to replace my ARP studs with longer ones.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 07:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
260wtq/320whp with a GTX3017R? good lord. You need to find another tuner. I really do not understand why people are still going to doesn't works.

What kind of laps are you running at Thunderhill?

Spacers will make your issue worse. I run 18x10.5 with 275 and do not destroy fender liners like that.

Last edited by razorlab; Oct 11, 2021 at 07:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
whtrice (Oct 13, 2021)
Old Oct 11, 2021, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
260wtq/320whp with a GTX3017R? good lord. You need to find another tuner. I really do not understand why people are still going to doesn't works.

What kind of laps are you running at Thunderhill?

Spacers will make your issue worse. I run 18x10.5 with 275 and do not destroy fender liners like that.
I will not defend works, but they were the shortest path to getting back on track. My PB at T-Hill w/cyclone is just under 2:12. My best with the bypass is about 2:14, but I don't run that config very often.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Why? What might be my problem?
Old Oct 11, 2021, 08:15 PM
EvoM Guru

I will not defend works, but they were the shortest path to getting back on track. My PB at T-Hill w/cyclone is just under 2:12. My best with the bypass is about 2:14, but I don't run that config very often.
Makes sense, track time is worth more than any mods. Lots of time left in your current setup for sure.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

I think you are correct. Going to take a look at the other well to see it that's rubbing at full wheel lock.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Haven't updated this thread for a while but the Evo has been sitting idle until I can get a shop to fix my ongoing exhaust problem. I got one more track day at Thunder Hill in November. Car ran fine but my driving was crap and I was riding my brakes way too hard and had to cut my last couple of sessions short due to boiled brakes. I did not get back out to the track again until last March. Before that I had my brake fluid changes. Unfortunately I seem to have fatally damaged the one of the front Brembos resulting in a rather scary spin at Thunder Hill turn 1. My AFR gauge also failed.

Ended up replacing the front brakes with some AP Racing.

Here's the thread on how I made that choice: Big Brakes - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

The shop that installed the brakes doesn't normally do Evos but they were willing to take a look at why my AFR gauge failed. Unfortunately it failed because the cable melted when the manifold to turbo bolts backed off once again.

Here a thread I started on that: Manifold to Turbo Bolts Backed Off, Again - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

So I trying to find a new shop that can get the exhaust properly buttoned up and add some new stuff to get more fuel to the engine. Specifically I'm going to replace my surge tank with a double pump setup and get some bigger injectors.

I got what seemed like some good shop recommendations on Facebook. The first shop I contacted is located only about an hour away from. He actually sent me an estimate for parts but when it came time to schedule a time to schedule when he could do the work, I never heard back. It looked like it was a very small shop so I decided to go to my second choice. The shop is over three hours away near San Jose but I have met a couple of guys with Evos that they build and all have good things to say. Plus, I would have probably taken the car down there anyway for a tune.

The shop seemed eager but every time I inquire about getting this latest project started they answer my e-mail timely but only to tell me they are still working out what parts are needed. I've been very busy with home improvement projects but I think I'm going to start badgering them again.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:33 PM
EvoM Guru

The shop that installed the brakes doesn't normally do Evos but they were willing to take a look at why my AFR gauge failed. Unfortunately it failed because the cable melted when the manifold to turbo bolts backed off once again.
Why is your wideband AFR cable anywhere close to your manifold? Should go through the floorboard to the end of the DP.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Pics:

Old Dec 29, 2022, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

I'm done. I have been unsuccessful finding a good shop to get the car trackable again, even offering a generous budget. So I'm going to liquidate my Evo stuff and go with something more mainstream like maybe a Spec E46. I suspect the car is worth more parting out but I don't want to deal with that. I'm thinking I can get as much as $30K, which would include an almost new Garrett GTX3071R Turbo, installed but unused AP Racing 9660 Front Calipers, two sets of spare wheels, and a spare engine and SST.