Notices
For Sale - Cars For Sale Includes all models. If you have a vehicle for sale, place it in here.
Mark this thread as Unsold

CT: 1996 Subaru Impreza $2500

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CT: 1996 Subaru Impreza $2500

I'm selling my 1996 Subaru wagon. 5-speed manual. 183,000 miles.

It's all-wheel drive and in very good condition. I'm the 3rd owner, I bought this car in 10/05 as a daily driver to avoid putting miles on my Evo. I'm now buying a newer daily driver, and that's why I'm selling this car.

I've done a bit of work on the car, to keep it running reliably. In 10/05, I replaced all the O2 sensors, the coil pack, sparkplugs, front axle assemblies, catalytic converter, air filter, ignition wires, crank sensor and had the tranny fluid changed. The clutch is still plenty strong, and the tires are still good, and the battery and starter are 2 months old. All work was done at a reputable shop.

For snow, I used my old WRX wheels with snow tires. This car's hubs are compatible with WRX or Saab 92-X wheels, as well as any Impreza wheels. No snow tires included in the sale.

Stereo is a tape deck with AM/FM. Not very high-tech, but I used one of those tapes in the deck that allowed me to run my Sirius and my iPod through the stereo.

There's no major body defects, only minor superficial rust on the "A" pillar and the rear wheel well. Chassis is still strong with no rust. I changed the oil myself every 3000 miles with high-mile oil and used a new filter each time. I'm doing an oil change this week so the car's ready to go. No interior defects, no tears in the seats, and the car was never smoked in. Only normal wear and tear to floormats, etc. Thule bike rack included in the sale. This car kicks major *** in the snow. Kelly Blue Book value is $2550-$3000. It has high miles, but is still a good, strong car.

Things to know about the car: The rear hatch pistons aren't working well, the door doesn't stay open by itself. I actually use a stick (ghetto, I know) to hold open the door but it works just fine like that. Also, the cable to change the HVAC is broken, so you have to manually switch from heat to cold by accessing the lever on the passenger side. You can reach it and adjust the car while driving, no problem. The heat and A/C are still in very good working order. I had the A/C charged up one year ago.

Now here's the BAD news. I took the car for an emissions test on 10/12/07(in CT). The car failed based on the following engine codes:

PO115 Engine Coolant Temp
PO301 Cylinder 1 Misfire
PO302 Cylinder 2 Misfire

The car failed emissions 2 years earlier based on the exact same codes. The shop did a full tune up, including all the ignition and wire work listed above. Based on the $700 that I spent, the car was issued an emissions waiver by DMV. The shop basically said the ECU might be messed up somehow, causing these codes. The car is not currently misfiring, despite the engine codes. It's strange, but I don't want to spend the time or $$ tracking down a new ECU. the good news is that if you live in a state with no emissions testing, you're golden.

Car is available immediately, title in hand.

Last edited by bernardo; Oct 13, 2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:51 AM
mot
Evolved Member

interested pm me your number im local
Old Oct 13, 2007, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

PM sent.

More info about the car added to the original post.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Bump for the best winter car evAr!!