Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 6466

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Howulikemyevo
Which lifters did you used for your heads?
Ended up using oem just to be safe. From left to right oem, topline, gsc.
Topline looks tallest but it compresses more than the gsc. I probably could have used any at this point because I had the valve stem tips ground slightly but I didn't feel like risking it haha.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 06:08 AM

Forgot to show some bored beauty work I did on some small metal pieces using an Eastwood powder coating gun and a toaster oven. Once I get my bigger oven wired up I'll probably do mine and a buddy's brake calipers.

Tried powder coating out. Came out looking good. Thermostat housing and metal timing belt covers done here.

Radiator bracket and hose clamps done in misty midnight

Old Jul 8, 2016, 06:14 AM

Update

Only issue left is the used 2150cc injectors that are dumping too much fuel. Aaron has them scaled lower than he would have for a 2.0 to get the car to run, so something is up. He got 10 miles on the car but wants to get at least 100 before it goes on the dyno. Hopefully next week is the week!

Last edited by fastboat4life; Jul 8, 2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fastboat4life
Ended up using oem just to be safe. From left to right oem, topline, gsc.
Topline looks tallest but it compresses more than the gsc. I probably could have used any at this point because I had the valve stem tips ground slightly but I didn't feel like risking it haha.
So I'm using the GSC r2 cam and BC valves and GSC beehive 5041 springs, which lifters would be best for me so my valve won't have no problems. I mean using the correct lifters so the valve will closed tightly and won't leaks.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 09:57 AM

So I'm using the GSC r2 cam and BC valves and GSC beehive 5041 springs, which lifters would be best for me so my valve won't have no problems. I mean using the correct lifters so the valve will closed tightly and won't leaks.
I just ran into that problem because the head had new oversized valves put in. When they lap/grind the valves to seat in the head it takes off some head material, making the valve sit so slightly higher into it. That with the slightly higher gsc lifters held it open. Just try what you have and put some liquid in the ports to see if they leak, with the cam 180 off the port you're testing of course haha. I could even shine light through mine or use my mouth to blow air through it on a couple cylinders haha. It was pretty bad. If all else fails just find some oem lifters and throw them in there. If that doesn't do it then the valve stem tips need to be ground down. Just learn from my mistakes so you don't end up buying 3 headgaskets lol.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 04:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,549 Likes on 1,328 Posts
I just ran into that problem because the head had new oversized valves put in. When they lap/grind the valves to seat in the head it takes off some head material, making the valve sit so slightly higher into it. That with the slightly higher gsc lifters held it open. Just try what you have and put some liquid in the ports to see if they leak, with the cam 180 off the port you're testing of course haha. I could even shine light through mine or use my mouth to blow air through it on a couple cylinders haha. It was pretty bad. If all else fails just find some oem lifters and throw them in there. If that doesn't do it then the valve stem tips need to be ground down. Just learn from my mistakes so you don't end up buying 3 headgaskets lol.
Who did your head machine work and didn't check the installed height of the valves?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Who did your head machine work and didn't check the installed height of the valves?
Buschur Racing did the head but I can't really fault them. They told me after sending it back that the non-oem lifters were to blame and they'd run into that issue before. The height was in spec but it was a little on the high side, so I had a local shop ground them down a tiny bit. I would've liked a little more effort from buschur in this instance but technically they didn't do any wrong. Other than this issue they've treated me pretty we'll. I'm just happy it got figured out haha
Old Jul 14, 2016, 09:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,549 Likes on 1,328 Posts
Buschur Racing did the head but I can't really fault them. They told me after sending it back that the non-oem lifters were to blame and they'd run into that issue before. The height was in spec but it was a little on the high side, so I had a local shop ground them down a tiny bit. I would've liked a little more effort from buschur in this instance but technically they didn't do any wrong. Other than this issue they've treated me pretty we'll. I'm just happy it got figured out haha
Well, if they're within spec, then I would agree it's the lifter's fault. Kind of silly that an aftermarket lifter wouldn't be able to compress to the same height as OEM.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Well, if they're within spec, then I would agree it's the lifter's fault. Kind of silly that an aftermarket lifter wouldn't be able to compress to the same height as OEM.
Yeah it's dumb haha. Either way I traded a friend for some oem ones and had the tips ground just to be even more sure.

Little update, All the bugs have been worked out and should be on the dyno either tonight or tomorrow I hope
Old Jul 14, 2016, 09:09 PM

Finally!

THEY TUNED IT TODAY! Here are some details... Dyno graph to come tomorrow.
727whp/527wtq
34psi
E85
Low timing, conservative break in tune
E40-45 was still 634whp, probably what I'll usually run it around

Aaron wanted me to get 3000 miles on the car and bring it back in for the real deal. I'm still happy with what I've got haha. We still have 6psi and timing to play with so this still isn't over yet. I'll just be happy to get the car back running after 14 months of waiting, spending, and working countless hours to get it where it is today.

****ty side note, a friend back home died today in an oil rig accident. He was one one the reasons I bought an evo. He gave me a ride in his black evo 9 ironically enough, back when I was still cruising in a honda and changed my mind about what I wanted in a car. It's kind of ****ty that this all happened at the same time but that's life. I had just talked to him about a month ago trying to help him find another evo to buy. Definitely helped remind me that at the end of the day these are just objects and the biggest part of car culture is the actual people that obsess over these bad *** machines.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran into the same problem using the GSC no tick lifters with my GSC r2 cams. The valve wouldnt closed tight and I lose compression.
I don't know if any lifters out there that would be the same hieght as the oem one.
Some oem one have a big oil holes and some still have small one. I would hate to get the wrong set of the older style with the small oil holes one the oem lifters.

Maybe I will tell my machine shop to ground the valve down too.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 09:30 AM

I ran into the same problem using the GSC no tick lifters with my GSC r2 cams. The valve wouldnt closed tight and I lose compression.
I don't know if any lifters out there that would be the same hieght as the oem one.
Some oem one have a big oil holes and some still have small one. I would hate to get the wrong set of the older style with the small oil holes one the oem lifters.

Maybe I will tell my machine shop to ground the valve down too.
I'd have it checked and done if they are anywhere near the high spec. I have the small hole lifters but I change my oil pretty often and I cleaned them well with diesel fuel before I put them in. I'm not too worried but yeah the peace of mind would be nice.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 09:31 AM

Back home and running. Going for an alignment today
Old Jul 16, 2016, 09:38 AM

Dyno Sheet

33 psi<br/>80 degree weather<br/>Low timing<br/>Not to bad haha. I can wait to really put the boost up and hopefully get some more low end with the timing. The 4.11 final drive makes this thing insane to drive haha
Old Aug 5, 2016, 06:20 PM

In less than 500 miles the trans has been out soon to be twice because of a loose flywheel. This time around I'm having my buddy tac weld the flywheel bolts to hopefully put an end to this issue once and for all. I was at least glad to see this is a common high power 2.3 issue that people have had before. Still undecided on sticking with comp twin or trying out a quartermaster twin though.

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 6466