Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X MR SST Transmission & Transfer Case Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2017, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X MR SST Transmission & Transfer Case Fluid Change

I am getting ready to do my first time SST and transfer case fluid change on my 2012 Evo X MR-T. I research many different threads but still have a few questions.

1. Based on the youtube video and available photos there should be 3 drain bolts on the bottom side of SST Transmission. My transmission has only 2 drain bolts. Why?

2. I have located the transmission fluid level check plug accessible from the wheel well. Its kinda hard to get to. What's the best way to loosen it? (what specific tool/ technique would you use?)

3. I attached a photo of my transfer case. Could someone please confirm for me proper location of Fill and Drain plug. I marked drain plug with red tape and fill plug with yellow tape. Is that correct???

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Transfer case Fill and Drain plugs location.

Transmission Drain Plugs (2 plugs marked with red tape) The third area to the left from the upper plug that looks kinda like a plug is actually not a plug its just solid.

Last edited by europaul; Feb 5, 2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 08:56 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts

This is from my 2011. I guess they must have revised it in 2012 or something.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks

This is from my 2011. I guess they must have revised it in 2012 or something.
I think they did. Thanks for the pic. I like how your tranny is shiny silver
Have you done this oil change service service yourself?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by europaul
I think they did. Thanks for the pic. I like how your tranny is shiny silver
Have you done this oil change service service yourself?
Your welcome. One of the perks of living in California is no salt on the roads. Yes I did the service myself in 2014. I literally have new fluids on the way to do it again too. Last time I replaced the filter with the Dodson re-usable one so im looking forward to seeing what that looks like after 30k miles.

I didn't use the view hole on the back of the transmission, instead i measured out exactly how much fluid came out, and put exactly that much back in. I would also recommend measuring out the amount of fluid that should be going back into the transfer case because they are notoriously easy to under fill.
The following users liked this post:
europaul (Feb 5, 2017)
Old Feb 5, 2017, 09:18 PM

Your welcome. One of the perks of living in California is no salt on the roads. Yes I did the service myself in 2014. I literally have new fluids on the way to do it again too. Last time I replaced the filter with the Dodson re-usable one so im looking forward to seeing what that looks like after 30k miles.

I didn't use the view hole on the back of the transmission, instead i measured out exactly how much fluid came out, and put exactly that much back in. I would also recommend measuring out the amount of fluid that should be going back into the transfer case because they are notoriously easy to under fill.
I just found service manual that dealer uses for performing all fluids maintenance. I will try to use fill lever check plug but if I fail in getting it loose I will do it the same way as you did.

Thanks for the tip regarding transfer case. Another way to do it as per Jacks Transmissions is to fill the transfer case from the bottom, from the drain hole( it can be messy unless you have custom made fitting) I am pretty good with fabricating stuff so I may try that.

How about the rear Diff and torque transfer mechanism. That's just drain and fill right?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yea just drain and fill and you have the transfer case marked correctly for the drain and fill locations.
europaul (Feb 6, 2017)
Old Feb 6, 2017, 07:43 AM

Yah Jacks Method is fool proof. I've had good success with measuring the fluid out since i Started doing this service on my evo 8 in 2005, so in my case, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
europaul (Feb 6, 2017)
Old Feb 19, 2017, 05:37 PM

Yah Jacks Method is fool proof. I've had good success with measuring the fluid out since i Started doing this service on my evo 8 in 2005, so in my case, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Hi there. Just FYI, I attached a photo of the tool I used to open the level check hole on the SST transmission. There is no way to get there with traditional tool. It was hard to unscrew it because the short leverage but I got it. So I can sleep well knowing that my transmission is properly filled. The rest of the project went well. Unfortunately I discovered that the front transfer case was under filled. It had 500ml in it. I used Jack's method of filling and I was able to fill it to 900 ml -the correct amount. I can only hope that the transfer case didn't suffer to much.

Old Feb 19, 2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by europaul
Hi there. Just FYI, I attached a photo of the tool I used to open the level check hole on the SST transmission. There is no way to get there with traditional tool. It was hard to unscrew it because the short leverage but I got it. So I can sleep well knowing that my transmission is properly filled. The rest of the project went well. Unfortunately I discovered that the front transfer case was under filled. It had 500ml in it. I used Jack's method of filling and I was able to fill it to 900 ml -the correct amount. I can only hope that the transfer case didn't suffer to much.

You probably caught it before any damage happened, when that thing goes it starts to make a ton of noise, and you would have seen some nasty stuff in the old oil.

Funny enough i was reading the factory service manual for the 2010 MR and for level check it literally says to drain the fluid out and measure it, then put it back in lol. I guess they gave up on that level check hole. I did see somewhere that you can buy a front cover with a dipstick for the SST so thats something i might look into next time around.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 05:58 PM

You probably caught it before any damage happened, when that thing goes it starts to make a ton of noise, and you would have seen some nasty stuff in the old oil.

Funny enough i was reading the factory service manual for the 2010 MR and for level check it literally says to drain the fluid out and measure it, then put it back in lol. I guess they gave up on that level check hole. I did see somewhere that you can buy a front cover with a dipstick for the SST so thats something i might look into next time around.
You'r wright, I remember reading about bigger pan with the dipstick, I wasn't able to find it for sale however. SSP makes bigger pan with 2liter fluid capacity and better cooling abilities but its a bit pricey $700 -as far as know no dipstick on that one. I will be taking my car to the track this summer and I will see how long it will take before it overheats. Each out of 4 sessions is 30 minutes on the track. I usually go for half day.
If it can make it 30 min I will be ok, otherwise cooling upgrades will be needed.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 06:01 PM

For temp control this looks pretty awsome:
http://www.kozmicmotorsports.com/mit...-sump-kit.html

But that price tag...ouch
Old Feb 19, 2017, 06:11 PM

For temp control this looks pretty awsome:
http://www.kozmicmotorsports.com/mit...-sump-kit.html

But that price tag...ouch
That is nice. As for the price tag think this way- The sequential semiautomatic transmission on the Subaru Factory WRC car back in 2008 used to cost right around $100 000 Yes thats a 100K. Now-$1200 sounds like a smoking deal