Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Thinking of getting a Evo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking of getting a Evo

Hey whats up.

So I'm thinking of getting a new car(well old used car) and after doing a little research I might look into getting a evo and it would be my DD. I've always liked things that are quick make it more fun.
Never had a vehicle like this but always wanted one I've had atvs and I own a sportbike and I would like to have something year round that's fun to drive.
Figured I would come here and get some advice. I live were we get snow most of the time in the winter so a awd car would be awesome for me. I'm trying to stay around 20k preferably under I've seen a few in this price range but I don't know much about them.
If I could get a little pointers on what to look for when buying used that would be great. For example I found a 2010 for 19k with 69k miles on it and it says its never been modded and is completely stock. How good of a deal is that if its decent shape?
I appreciate any help thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey willrit87, welcome!

Stock Evos are high in demand. But rare because most owners tend to mod them. Check for signs that the car might have been modded but returned to stock form. Bring a mechanic friend with you to check out the car. If not, maybe a family member or friend that knows cars well. Take it out for a test drive obviously.

Check kbb.com for average prices on dealer and private party Evos. Also, check the classifieds section here on EvoM and Evoxowners.com
Old Dec 9, 2017, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would check out Youtube videos from people like Czero and a few others that explain what to look for when shopping for a Evo. Also I would search through the form as there are lot of people that have asked this same question. 19k with 69k mi sounds about average for these cars. Checking the Carfax also helps a great deal.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing to look for when you see the car is how well it was maintained likes tires, did they clean it before you came and looked and basics like have they been changing the oil. One thing specific about egos is the transfer case death wine. It'll make a high pitch noise look it up on YouTube. I'd personally get an evo 8/9 and let her rip!
Good luck hunting!��
Old Dec 9, 2017, 04:07 PM

Hey thanks for all the info. Yeah I read up on the 8/9 but seems like most that I have seen for sale are over the top modded and/or really high mileage. Looking to get something with lower mileage something that's gonna last me awhile and be fun to. Ill look into the transfer case noise so I know what to look out for. For the most part I'm mechanically inclined so I know a decent amount about vehicles and I also have a cousin that's into the whole tuner cars that I would bring with me.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 07:08 PM

Not sure if the death wine is quite as common in the X's but bring a buddy with that knows a lot about cars is always a good idea.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 07:26 PM

They are a blast, make sure you really have it checked. I bought mine and didn't know until after my input shaft was seized..
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:38 PM

Evo's in OEM condition are Very reliable if maintained correctly. but in no way are good for MPG so hopefully short distances as a DD lol
Old Dec 15, 2017, 03:18 PM

I only have to drive around 40 miles a day back and forth to work so it really shouldn't be too bad. As of now kinda hard to find a lower mileage evo around $20k but still looking
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Don't let mileage scare you away in an X if it's got a 5 speed manual. If you find one that's a little bit higher mileage, but been maintained well and clean, at least go look at it. You might be surprised.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 06:51 PM

Yeah was just trying to stay below 70k but hoping for something a lot lower. Found a 2014 with 40k but it has a ding in the rear bumper by the reflector/light(not sure what it is) but its from a dealer and they want 26k for it. Been thinking of checking it out and seeing how low they would go on it. It show a clean carfax but also says it was a fleet vehicle so I dont know how bad that would be never thought something like an evo would be a rental.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I’d say take your time window shopping on Craigslist, autotempest, cars.com, autotrader, etc. Evos are pricey right now and will probably increase in value as they’re out of production.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Are you in the market for a X or IX ? I’ve grown to like both and Mods on cars aren’t a bad thing. Also take the time to ask around your local Evo community and see if you can drive or ride in one and check out the local meet ups. These guys will help a ton! Also think about buying out in the Southwest part of the US as they have cars that are likely rust free. I’ve seen good deals going around lately and if you’re serious you need to jump head first. If a 2008 or newer model interests you be sure to get 2011-2014 year models I think those have the good seats. Earlier Evo Xs I’ve heard might give you problems. This topic comes up a lot as many people want to own Evos after realizing how awesome these cars really are.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 01:39 PM

Yeah I'm looking to get the x hoping to get a 2014 but i would be happy with an earlier one. Thinking of saving up for a few months so i don't have to get a big loan and I would really like to buy private owner so I can get a little back story one the car. But there really isn't much to choose from that's close. My dad is a mechanic so I usually always run stuff by him for the advice and wisdom and he is kinda weary about me buying one cuz it's basically a sports car. He doesn't want me to get something and dump money on repairs cuz someone beat it. But I've pretty much decided I want to get one so I'll take the risk and hope I'm not too unlucky.
I appreciate all the feedback so far thanks.