Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine to transmission bolts... dumb question

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine to transmission bolts... dumb question

I’m having problems with the bolts that mate the motor to the trans, specifically the one hidden by the transfer case on the intake side. I have all 5 brand new from STM but the shortest one is too short to reach the threads, the next size up tightens up but runs out of threads like it’s too long. Any help is appreciated
Old May 25, 2018, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the hidden bolt is M10 40mm length, should be the one on the very right.

https://stmtuned.com/collections/evo...vo-4-5-6-7-8-9
Old May 25, 2018, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

I know it should be, but it just spins. I know at least most of the threads are good bc the longer bolt starts and tightens down. I guess I’m going to have to buy a longer bolt between the 2 lengths.
Old May 25, 2018, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Based on the picture, looks like your threads could use some cleaning. I would run a thread chaser on the trans side threads and also the bolt. The bolt length for the middle bolts are 50mm, so inbetween size would be 45mm length bolt. That may be difficult to find that size...
Old May 25, 2018, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

I’ll try but by the time the threads act like they’re gonna catch the bolt head is against the block. Its weird...
Old Aug 26, 2019, 01:31 AM

Hi Guys

Old thread i know but thought i would try here before starting a new thread. I have a question regarding the "hidden" bolt at the rear of the block that bolts to the transmission. Would it hurt if this bolt was left out?
Basically i have a block where the "ear" for this bolt hole is broken off so i have no support on the block to tighten the bolt onto so it wont be doing anything.

Would it be okay to leave it out?

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Sounds like you have no choice. I'd consider such an assembly a low abuse car. Is that acceptable?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Farinui
Hi Guys

Old thread i know but thought i would try here before starting a new thread. I have a question regarding the "hidden" bolt at the rear of the block that bolts to the transmission. Would it hurt if this bolt was left out?
Basically i have a block where the "ear" for this bolt hole is broken off so i have no support on the block to tighten the bolt onto so it wont be doing anything.

Would it be okay to leave it out?

Thanks
It would be risky, but you may just have to try it out.

Some call it the "crank walk" bolt and is known to prevent a severe problem in the DSM world when its installed. It's a long story, but if I were you I would have some kind of bracket/nut welded onto the engine block to give the trans something to bolt to in that area.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Sounds like you have no choice. I'd consider such an assembly a low abuse car. Is that acceptable?
Low abuse? Whats that? Haha. I was going to build up this block as a spare for a circuit car, so low abuse isn't an option i'm afraid.

Originally Posted by Pal215
It would be risky, but you may just have to try it out.

Some call it the "crank walk" bolt and is known to prevent a severe problem in the DSM world when its installed. It's a long story, but if I were you I would have some kind of bracket/nut welded onto the engine block to give the trans something to bolt to in that area.
Thanks for that, It's not worth the risk by the sound of it. I feel like this is going to be my only option then, that or find another block to use. I don't have the piece that broke off either.
Would you recommend bolting it up to a dummy bell housing and then doing the repair like that to get it all lined up?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 02:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Farinui
Low abuse? Whats that? Haha. I was going to build up this block as a spare for a circuit car, so low abuse isn't an option i'm afraid.

Thanks for that, It's not worth the risk by the sound of it. I feel like this is going to be my only option then, that or find another block to use. I don't have the piece that broke off either.
Would you recommend bolting it up to a dummy bell housing and then doing the repair like that to get it all lined up?
I think that's a good way to approach the repair. The two transmission dowels should be installed as well to get the absolute best alignment. Especially Since the repair won't be holding the weight of the trans, it's more so to keep the bell housing and block connected to each other during clutch pulls and returns.

....I would hate to throw out a block just because of a piece like that broke off. I have a scrap 4g64 engine block lying around that I use for experiments. If you want, I can cut that "ear" off of it and if it comes off in on piece, I can ship it over to you for you to weld on.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
I think that's a good way to approach the repair. The two transmission dowels should be installed as well to get the absolute best alignment. Especially Since the repair won't be holding the weight of the trans, it's more so to keep the bell housing and block connected to each other during clutch pulls and returns.

....I would hate to throw out a block just because of a piece like that broke off. I have a scrap 4g64 engine block lying around that I use for experiments. If you want, I can cut that "ear" off of it and if it comes off in on piece, I can ship it over to you for you to weld on.
Yep Gotcha. Thanks for the offer, the chances of getting the piece the same would be pretty slim. I'll see what I can do with it and will get back to you if I decide to take you up on your offer.

Have attached some pics below for you to compare

Old Aug 26, 2019, 03:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It looks like someone cut it off. That's weird.

I'd say you could fix that if you take it somewhere that is good with welding cast iron.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
It looks like someone cut it off. That's weird.

I'd say you could fix that if you take it somewhere that is good with welding cast iron.
I thought maybe it had broken off and then someone had tried to hide it or tidy it up perhaps
Old Aug 26, 2019, 03:49 PM
EvoM Guru

That is an odd place for a tab to crack