Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Site becoming a library rather than a community

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesJ
As a community, we certainly need to be more accepting of everyone and try to make our points without insults. Also, if the question can be answered in less words than "OMFG, do a search newb", why not just give the answer. Should it involve a discussion, then yes, saying politely, please try searching this topic.
Thats part of what I was trying to elude to. It just seems like people are getting more bitter about their responses, as you said forgetting that they were newbies once too. The last thing that I seen that really made me want to write this in the first place was 3 threads in a row locked with the last comment being something along the lines of learn to search. I just thought, it would have been just as easy to answer the question, and a lot more appealing to the person who asked it, who obviously is new to the community or they wouldnt have been asking the simple question in the first place.

Anyways I am done with the topic, the more I read what I have written I sound like a whiney b****. Something bothered me, I got the oppertunity to get it out. Thanks again for the responses guys

edit: for the record, for all the mods that did respond, It wasnt any of you that closed the threads I was talking about, dont remember who it was, but Id remember the avatar.

Last edited by 2highpsi; Apr 17, 2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2highpsi
Thats part of what I was trying to elude to. It just seems like people are getting more bitter about their responses, as you said forgetting that they were newbies once too. The last thing that I seen that really made me want to write this in the first place was 3 threads in a row locked with the last comment being something along the lines of learn to search. I just thought, it would have been just as easy to answer the question, and a lot more appealing to the person who asked it, who obviously is new to the community or they wouldnt have been asking the simple question in the first place.

Anyways I am done with the topic, the more I read what I have written I sound like a whiney b****. Something bothered me, I got the oppertunity to get it out. Thanks again for the responses guys

edit: for the record, for all the mods that did respond, It wasnt any of you that closed the threads I was talking about, dont remember who it was, but Id remember the avatar.
There's a reason for the "three in a row" aspect - those threads can't be bumped again, so they all pile up as the other threads keep getting posted to. It doesn't mean we hit thread after thread.

Also, as an endpoint, does Godwin's Law apply when Nazism is referenced in the FIRST post?

All in all, I think the staff are getting better at "give a quick answer, suggest a search, then close thread", but I'll be the first to admit we're not perfect. It's a growing experience for all involved.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 01:08 PM

I've gone through this in a different club.

Lets just put it this way, sometimes searching will waste more time then just getting a simple answer from someone.

Really when its a product review or something of the like, then sure..do a search and read 100 pages.

But when its quicker for you to write one line response that answers the question, then why not just do that and close the thread..

Lets be honest, searching can be hard, sometimes you get 200 threads each 20 pages long to find your answer on thread number 145 page 6..and the answer is a one liner.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sidestepping on the comments here I have a suggestion for the OP. Post in the newbie forum man. They are a bit more forgiving about asking... well newbie questions. Thats what I do. No offense meant, just lack of a better way to put it.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

This is one of the best automotive sites on the net, good members, good info, and a good staff. I've moderated on other websites before and I feel the Staff's pain keep up the good work.

I spent a year using the search bar before I desided to join EvoM still use it.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by [EVO]Cookie
This is one of the best automotive sites on the net, good members, good info, and a good staff. I've moderated on other websites before and I feel the Staff's pain keep up the good work.

I spent a year using the search bar before I desided to join EvoM still use it.

you can search without being a member?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
sidestepping on the comments here I have a suggestion for the OP. Post in the newbie forum man. They are a bit more forgiving about asking... well newbie questions. Thats what I do. No offense meant, just lack of a better way to put it.
It wasnt my threads that were deleted. I wasnt even talking about a particular case. I was just talking about the way things were handled "in general." I think most everyone got what I was trying to say.

It doesnt matter though, I have been made aware of godwins law.....
I lost when I made my first post. The hungary crocs are ready to eat me so im outie...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
you can search without being a member?
yeah page by agonizing page.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

i think the general problem is that we get people who come from other car forums who are either idiots, mean asses, or both who have now bought EVO's (cuz they thought they would look cool) which have brought down the morale of the members here. when u checkout Lancer Register, for example, those guys & girls are a tight bunch willing to help out regardless of the question. reminds me of the Subaru guys over at NASIOC.

the only way to resolve it is to weed out the a-holes & try to help out the true car enthusiasts who are interested in helping our culture progress rather than digress. yes sometimes searching doesn't pull up answers. HOWEVER, one has the entire internet to do research if needed (hint, hint). i had websites, magazines, articles, & books years b4 i bought an evo so that i wouldn't have to search as often, or even at all. it's not like we're all trying to mod a Buick Enclave or something!!!

the end result is ppl need 2 stop being lazy & take some initiative for their own success so they won't come crying to us in 6months when their 600hp evo can only run a 13...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

This is so true and funny.

the end result is ppl need 2 stop being lazy & take some initiative for their own success so they won't come crying to us in 6months when their 600hp evo can only run a 13...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

edited for time and content.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 17, 2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
i think the general problem is that we get people who come from other car forums who are either idiots, mean asses, or both who have now bought EVO's (cuz they thought they would look cool) which have brought down the morale of the members here. when u checkout Lancer Register, for example, those guys & girls are a tight bunch willing to help out regardless of the question. reminds me of the Subaru guys over at NASIOC.

the only way to resolve it is to weed out the a-holes & try to help out the true car enthusiasts who are interested in helping our culture progress rather than digress. yes sometimes searching doesn't pull up answers. HOWEVER, one has the entire internet to do research if needed (hint, hint). i had websites, magazines, articles, & books years b4 i bought an evo so that i wouldn't have to search as often, or even at all. it's not like we're all trying to mod a Buick Enclave or something!!!

Well, there's that and the fact that number of people using these boards is significantly higher than anywhere else. The clueless/knowledgeable people here is going to be a bit higher simply because of the volume of peeps here. That argument can also be twisted around to say: hence why its so important to search so we aren't going over the same thing 60K times too. Flip the coin.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
Also, to the comment of posts being removed for no reason except business, I would have to review the specific examples, but there is always more going on behind the scenes than you guys may be aware of. We generally do not randomly delete posts just for the hell of it
I got a post removed just today because some guy put up a thread about how he thought his hood may fly open. I joked that he should try to pry it open, and if that didn't work try driving around with it up just in case to see if he could do it to be safe and it got sniped. Not sure whats going on in the background with that, but kinda seems to me like maybe thats a touch aggressive on the moderation side of things. on topic jokes happen quite often here. Kinda sad that for whatever reason even it was removed. Please reconsider sniping posts like that. I like being a part of this community and seeing posts get removed for no good reason kinda makes you feel a bit like you don't belong here. Not too big a deal, but c'mon - its still a community. Plus, It didn't break any rules that I've found. If so, please let me know which one it did so that I can better understand the guidelines.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 17, 2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

The search feature is pretty unwieldy for finding info - how about a Wiki? That could go a long way to educate newbies who are really looking to learn.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 06:03 PM
SME
Evolved Member

I think the staff does a pretty good job here for how large the site is. I am a moderator and admin for a few other sites (not all car related) and let me tell you, its HARD to please everyone and sometimes it seems impossible to please anyone haha